Soku39
Topic Author

AirCal And The AA Takeover

Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:40 am

I was looking as to some insight on where AirCal served (and its main hub) its fleet, and whay AA bought it out.

Thanks.
The Ohio Player

TommyBoy

RE: AirCal And The AA Takeover

Wed Jul 25, 2001 11:50 am

Air California was founded in 1966 and started flights in '67 with Lockheed Electras. Evenually DC-9's, MD-80's, 737-200's, 737-300's and even a few BAe 146's were added to the fleet. The name was changed to AirCal in 1981.

They were based at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, Calif (don't believe it was named John Wayne in those days!) and competed directly with PSA. At one time or another AirCal served all the big airports in California and most of the smaller ones including Sacramento, Palm Springs, Long Beach, Fresno, Monterey and Tahoe Valley airport in South Lake Tahoe.

Outside California they flew to Seattle, Portland, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix and even flew to Chicago O'hare, Vancouver, and Anchorage. All of these distnations were not served at the same time.

American took 'em over in 1987 to bolster their West Coast operations..then dismantled most of AirCal's route system..then bought RenoAir a little over a decade later for the same reason..to increase their West Coast presence!
American still has the largest operations out of Orange County's John Wayne Airport, due in part by their take over of AirCal.

nikonF100

Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:55 pm

I believe OO has the largest ops at SNA, and AA has the most FF members down there. Of course, the assholes at AA really dicked this airline up. Not ONE "core" OC route is around. Any inter-California flights now are Reno Air's old routes. And even these are going fast!

Here's a great link to an OC dude, he was with them a long time. http://members.aol.com/aircal737/aircal.htm

Anyway, my ranting is over on AA. Flames are welcome, but facts are facts, and AA's "west coast presence" was all but GONE after 1992-1993. Keep in mind that they literally told SJIA to build Terminal A. It was ALL American for two, maybe three years, and then it was a ghost town! Now it's terrible...

IMissPiedmont

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:03 pm

The route network was almost every city pair in Californis. As to why AA bought OC, who knows? They seem to buy an airline and then drop all the routes anyway. Remains to be seen what is left 5 years from now of TWA. My bet is on nothing.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

nikonF100

Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:38 pm

Well, I think some of the TW routes will be around in 2005. STL-JFK/Northeast. Those are very coveted flights. As are some more slots in LA, JFK, ORD etc...

They are planning on hanging onto some of the old QQ (and OC) routes. SJC-LA SJC-SNA are just a couple. Abiet, they are not the same frequency Reno and AirCal had, but they will probably be around. Ones that probably wont be, are the San Jose-Vegas, San Jose-San Diego, San Jose-Portland/Seattle (they'll probably codeshare with AS).

Soku39
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:19 am

Thanks people.
The Ohio Player

Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:26 am

Hmmm...

...AAL comes in, buys out smaller regionals, slowly dismantles their route structures. Beneficiaries are SWA and remaining regionals like ASA. AAL establishes codeshares with ASA etc., and maybe eventually gobbles them up, too. What does AAL have to gain...other than destroying the competition before it matures? Is this a healthy way to grow an industry?

...just a thought

nikonF100

Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:08 pm

Of course not!! Although, who can blame them for wanting to get rid of competition? It's the nature of biz. Is AA codesharing with Atlantic Southeast now? Or do you mean Alaska?

kwbl

Thu Jul 26, 2001 1:37 pm

This is one of my favorite topics. When the takeover occurred, I did not believe American could compete with their higher cost structure. It does seem American has tried this twice (again with Reno Air) and the result has been the same. Virtually none of OC's routes are in place and only a few the QQ routes are there, most with reduced frequencies. I really hope they don't come after AS because SEA and PDX would suffer greatly as would the rest of the west coast

chrisair

Thu Jul 26, 2001 2:00 pm

Funny you should mention that about Alaska. There has been a lot of talk floating around Alaska about American taking them over. I doubt it happening for about 5 years (if at all) due to the TWA takeover.