Topic Author

Cabin Chimes

Thu Jun 17, 1999 12:55 am

I know that the flight crew can signal the cabin crew indicating various situations by using chimes in the cabin that flash the Fasten Seatbelts/No Smoking lights. We've all heard them, I'm sure. I BELIEVE that 4 chimes, for instance, indicates either imminent departure or landing in 10 minutes. Can anyone provide a list of the different numbers of chimes and what each means?

RE: Cabin Chimes

Thu Jun 17, 1999 1:32 am

Each airline uses different system of chimes. For example, 4 chimes for one airline might mean take-off or landing imminent; for another it might mean an inflight emergency. So, do not be scared when you fly and here 5 or more bells - it may be indicating imminent landing for F/A's.

Here are chimes used for Canadi>n:

1 bell - passenger call, lav call, change in cabin signs, five minute warning prior to landing, crew communication via interphone

2 bells - F/A to contact the flight deck for a message

3 bells - Take-off or landing imminent - take your jump seat

5 bells on the ground - evacuate

5 bells inflight - F/A to report immediately to the flight deck to receive emergency instructions

Does anyone know flight deck/cabin communication systems used by other airlines?

RE: Cabin Chimes

Fri Jun 18, 1999 8:52 am

4 chimes usually means the bar is closing. -last drinks please. every airline is different.