go canada!

Which Airline Do You Feel Most Sorry For?

Fri Jul 27, 2001 9:01 pm

Hi people, ive always wondered what airlines get sympthay votes from people because of miss-management, takeovers, being stuck in an alliance or being unluckly with plane crashes?

mine are TWA for being mis-managed and then being bought by AA.

Pan-am for being unlucky with plane crashes

Delta for being stuck with air france, scabitilia and koren.

Canadian for never realy have a chance to beat Air Canada and ending up being bought by them.

krgds

Go Canada!
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

ek-a380

RE: Which Airline Do You Feel Most Sorry For?

Fri Jul 27, 2001 9:12 pm

It has to be Pakistan International Airlines!

Bluebellya380

Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:09 pm

Singapore...gee, it must be cold and lonely being so high above the rest... Big grin

zizou

Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:56 pm

What about Iraqi Airways and SriLankan?

pcancelli

Fri Jul 27, 2001 11:04 pm

Right now Sri Lankan...
I don't want to get into politics now, just sad because of the aircrafts

xxzz123

Fri Jul 27, 2001 11:13 pm

Sri Lankan of course, all those years of effort building up a modern, efficient and highly acclaimed airline. They'll be back of course...
Bilbo

Fri Jul 27, 2001 11:23 pm

Alaska Air because it is under constant threat of being taken over by Delta or one of the other majors.

Southwest because people are always making fun of them eventhough they do a great job and try hard.

Aer Lingus because they too may be bought out.

caribb

Fri Jul 27, 2001 11:45 pm

Mine would be:

Pan Am, Eastern, National & TWA for mismanagement, or at least not forseeing their future well enough to survive into the 21st century.. almost hard to believe they no longer exist since they were among the founders of the North American airline industry.

Sri Lankan and MEA for having faced terrorism in their respective parts of the world head on.

Aeroflot - for having spent decades trying to coexist alongside western airlines with better management options and aircraft.

Sabena, Philippine Airlines, Aerolineas Argentineas & Air Afrique for all it's financial troubles and mismanagement.

KLM for being such a great airline but not being able to find itself in a satisfactory multi-airline alliance.

Canadian Airlines for mismanagement and having to try and fend of an agressive Air Canada.

American, Iberia, Alitalia, Air France & Olympic for not realizing they can change their liveries and still be as good if not better than they are today.

All airlines who have suffered air crashes, terrorism and hijackings.. something no one wants of should have to deal with.

That pretty much covers it.

travaz

Sat Jul 28, 2001 12:02 am

America West for not living up to the great potential thay have with thier PHX hub and route structure. Com'on lets be Franke about it!

Happy Flying

AI744LR

Sat Jul 28, 2001 12:39 am

Air-India - once the best, now amongst the worst  Sad

duke

Sat Jul 28, 2001 1:28 am

Pan Am for going from perhaps the epitome of air flight to bankruptcy,
and then "returning" as a shadow of its former glory.

also TWA, another survivor of days past, that seems like it will absorbed into American Airlines.  Crying
Those good ol' globes were nice.

Here is what I'd like to have seen: Pan Am A330/340s, TWA MD-11

airzim

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:18 am

You've got to be kidding me.

I don't feel sorry for any airline. You feel sorry for TWA for mismanagement?

There are winners and losers in life. TWA, Pan Am, Eastern, BCal, etc. are losers. Being lucky has NOTHING to do with running an airline.

dfleet7

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:19 am

Valujet- they had one crash and nobody knows how great they were. I flew with them many times and they had the friendliest personnel.
Drew

chepos

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:25 am

Cubana- They do their best with the meager resources they have.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Darcy Stevens

The Door of Cuba to the world

Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

WiLdmanVzla

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:48 am

Well... I fell sorry for all the employees of the bankrupt airlines that has been going out of business because of bad management... !!!!

sfointern

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:53 am

United... so much great potential, all being shot to hell by internal numskulling.

The media and public like to whip UAL for its past injustices (Summer from Hell 2000) over and over again.

They underappreciate the airline's role in the worldwide transportation system and fail to acknowledge the tragedy of so much potential being put to waste.

HTTP://WWW.GOODWINMUSTGO.COM

strickerje

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:21 am

I'm just wondering... how is Delta stuck with AF and Korean? If it's just a buisiness partnership, can't they pull out at any time? Besides, both Delta and Air France have a lot of flights to Paris from many major cities, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cincinatti, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, and San Fransisco, and then Air France flies from Paris to anywhere else in Europe. Because of this, I would think that a partnership between DL and AF is worthwhile for both companies since it gives DL a skymiles partner for its travelers to Europe. Any thoughts on this?

-Jeffrey Stricker

CX Flyboy

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:28 am

Sri Lankan comes to mind in light of the recent events.

Dragonair is one I also feel sorry for because they have a very boring colour scheme.  Smile

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:32 am

I feel sorry for Delta because soon jetBlue will show them who is boss.  Acting devilish

VgnAtl747

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:38 am

Right now... SriLankan
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

Tango-Bravo

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:55 am

Piedmont. It was a well-run and profitable airline who earned a reputation for above-average service at reasonable fares. One of the few airlines who brought us the benefits of what deregulation was supposed to be about disappeared into the USAir morass, apparently as a result of its own success. Employees who had been part of building one of the best airlines to work for saw their situation take a sharp turn for the worse.

DELTA777

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:59 am

I feel bad for US Airways. For bad management, and UGLY paint livery and Britsh Airways treating them like crap, years ago.

D E L T A 7 7 7

scutfarcus

Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:34 am

ProAir! Never really had a chance to get off the ground... they might be back though, you never know... (i'd mostly just like to see service at Detroit City!)

caetravlr

Sat Jul 28, 2001 5:30 am

I feel sorry for USAirways, because they have Stephen Wolf at the top trying to drive them into the ground, and make himself rich doing so. He has no business in the airline industry. Just a modern day Lorenzo or Icahn in my opinion.

I feel sorry for UAL, because well, while Goodwin may not be the same doublecrossing weasel that Wolf is, he is just incompetent as the head of a major carrier. Send him on his way, and maybe UAL will still be around in 5 years.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

blink182

Sat Jul 28, 2001 5:33 am

I would say Sri Lankan because of what just happened, and to me, it looked like they were getting bigger and better too.

TWA for it's bad management, historically. I give credit to William Compton as he did what he could with a financially troubled airline. I used to feel sorry for the employees, but realizing the fact they know their getting a paycheck, I don't feel that bad for them  Smile.

Sabena and Aer Lingus because of the financial state their in.

Aeroflot- they were once great only to have the economy go down and they went with it. Hopefully, they are getting bigger now.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:23 am

jetBlue- I feel sorry for David Neeleman, his employees spread the word that they are invincible and can eliminate any airline on any route. When things come crashing down, he will be the one people blame.

Aeroflot and TWA for reasons state above.

Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:26 am

America West - because of the constant ridicule they put up with even though they are trying as hard as they can.

SQ325

Sat Jul 28, 2001 8:50 am

PanAm a great Airline with a great hystorie, they were in a bad shape before Lockerbie and afterwards they were finished. Ticket prices, so that everybody can buy one, unusual for these times.
Actual it is SriLankan, nice Airline, they worked a lot on their reputation, new fleet, excellent eco- class.
Wish them all the best.

Sat Jul 28, 2001 9:01 am

I feel sorry for Delta because they are now using that butt-ugly Deltaflot scheme, they should never deviated from the old-new scheme.

I feel sorry for both Southwest and JetBlue because of constant ridicule when people have no idea just how great they are.

I feel bad for TWA for being bought out.

I feel bad for Pan Am, Eastern, Piedmont, and PSA for going bankrupt.

I feel sorry for UAL Employees and USAir employees for bad management.

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Sat Jul 28, 2001 9:41 am

Canjet and Canadi>n.

Click for large version

Photo © Henry Jr Godding

Click for large version

Photo © Felix Sieder

caetravlr

Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:43 am

Aloha,

Its ok to have an opinion on any airline's color scheme. However, you should not feel sorry for them because of it, you know, they chose it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

However, I happen to like the Delta's latest scheme. Did not at first, but I think it looks great on the 767 and 777. Just my opinion. I think there are much worse issues at other airlines.

CAETravlr
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

airlinelover

Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:54 am

America West.. Always losing things..  Laugh out loud

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

N960AS

Sat Jul 28, 2001 11:03 am

TWA for sure. One of my two favorites will soon no longer be. Plus Karabu expires in Sep '03 if I'm correct, they were so close to making it, it makes me depressed thinking about it. Plus AA has stuck them with the name of 'TWA Airlines, LLC' did it not make it through AA's thick head that the 'A' in TWA already stands for Airlines?! Trans World Airlines Airlines, LLC?! Oh, and one of the best paint schemes is dying too. Ugh, its so sad.

I don't think Alaska Airlines [not Air], my other favorite, really has that much to worry about.

I'll be on TWA Monday

N960AS
New York

Airbus Lover

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:55 pm

Malaysia Airlines!!! mismanagement led to financial trouble. fleet renewal plan too early and borrowed those money to buy new planes and finally end up wiv tons of interest to pay. if they dun have those high debts, Malaysia would have been making lots of money! and one more, stubborn management didn't wanna lower fares to compete wiv SQ but instead increase fares.

SriLankan for working so damn hard to build up today wiv modern planes and excellent network but destroyed by terrorism!

Vietnam Airlines for being a great airline (I've been on all their a/c types and they were great!!! except no jumpseat stay for touchdown) but NONO created their models for use in Flightsim 2000...........hehe.......

more to list......but needa go now!

yqfca

Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:54 pm

CPAir/Canadian/Wardair/PacificWestern/Nordair etc. who fought all their lives against a government owned competitor (Air Canada) that had their routes handed to them instead of purchasing them. And paid taxes that financed their competition (Air Canada). And then finally the government privatized (Air Canada) after the airlines in Canada accumulated irrecoverable depth.
Is that a fair playing field, I am sorry!

Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:13 pm

Sabena

BA FOREVER

Sat Jul 28, 2001 7:42 pm

Right now I feel sorry of Sri Lankan - but am confident they will be back!

I am also sorry for Ansett - they try hard, and I hope that they grow into a lrger, more international airline.

Air Taiwan

Sat Jul 28, 2001 7:57 pm

Ansett Australia... they're a fantastic airline! In fact I think they're very similar to bmi british midland, a real good airline but because there's a larger national airline (BA/AA) they can't expand as much...

Also Ansett is troubled by ownership problems and to some extent the mismanagement...

Jimmy

Absolutely Ansett!!

Skystar

Sat Jul 28, 2001 8:01 pm

At this point in time, definately Sri Lankan.

Like BA FOREVER, I do sympathise for Ansett, who has been described as being 'raped' by its former owners. It is a great airline, just lacking in the financial department - hamstrung for too many years with poor ownership, ownership uncertainty, strange leadership (Ansett's fleet at one point in time was described as Noah's Ark, and why did Abeles decide to continue putting gold plated ashtrays in A320s, even after smoking had been banned???) and owners who really couldn't be bothered to put any money into the airline.

Cheers,

Justin

go canada!

Sun Jul 29, 2001 1:16 am

I feel sorry for ansett and air new zealand a match mad in hell that was forced on them since anz didnt really have any choice but buy it and ansett has got so many problems that people dont know where to start.

as for my comment on delta, at the moment they are stuck in sky team, the 3rd rate alliance, they missed otu because of their 'conservative' attitude and have been left with the remenants that nobody else wanted.

koren air and aero mexico to name but a few.

i thnik we can feel osrry for some airlines, i dotn feel sorry for thai because SIA is doing so well but i feel sorry for airlines who have never had the chance like canadian, who have been managed by carl ichan or who have had unfortunate crashes like Pan Am.

I dont feel sorry for Aloha with the roof falling of their planes, i dont feel sorry for aeroflot with their pilots drinking and planes skidding off the runway, i dont feel sorry for Britannia who's plane decided to snap into three bits(feel sorry for the bird that had that plastered all over it), I dont feel sorry for Avianca for flying around nY without any fuel and not telling anyone and I dont feel sorry Sabena as it had its chance and it still cant get it together.

i feel sorry for sri lankan and air lanka as well

but i think some airlines we should accept were poor and will always be poor, others just havent had their chance or have been bought too quickly.

It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

airfun

Sun Jul 29, 2001 2:04 am

AMERICA WEST....SO MUCH POTENTIAL, GREAT EMPLOYEES WITH BAD MANAGEMENT...DOES ANYONE THINK THEY WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS?

Sun Jul 29, 2001 3:54 am

True, DL always makes moves after everyone else, sometimes it works to their advantage and mostly it causes rubbish like the StyTeam  Wink/being sarcastic I know some people love KE's in-flight service, but I am more concerned with Safety as nr. One! And now with Alitalia! Geez, have fun, Delta! Wish you some good luck! Their alliance with SR/SN/OS was much better.
I feel "sorry" for DL's employees, NOT the company!

GDB

Sun Jul 29, 2001 4:05 am

How about Ariana Afganistan? 20+ years of Communist takeovers, Soviet invasions, civil war and now the Taliban headcases going back to the middle ages.

Sun Jul 29, 2001 10:24 am

America West Airlines - Even though things aren't really going their way right now, I believe that they are trying very hard to improve and become a better airline.

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Sheldon

hugo

Sun Jul 29, 2001 2:43 pm

Pan Am and TWA for obvious reasons.
Philippine Airlines for being a political pawn for most of its history and for its current inept and uninspired "management".

lewis

Sun Jul 29, 2001 10:47 pm

I really feel sorry for Olympic Airways. Things are really bad.

OO-VEG

Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:32 pm

Sabena, for getting in a bad situation

Sri Lankan Airlines, for losing those aircraft

Aeroflot, for having such a bad image just because their are Russian.

US Airways, for not having the guts to stay an idependent airline although they have and can. They are an example you don't need to be part of an alliance to survive (well that is my opnion).

767ALLTHEWAY

Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:41 am

I feel bad for Legend. American Airlines played the role of bully and forced them out of business.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

Notar520AC

AMW

Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:47 am

Click for large version

Photo © Saul Loeb

America West is just falling to peices.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Ilyushin96M

Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:11 am

Aeroflot, because they have to deal with the ghosts of the past and mismanagement in the present. Not to mention all the myths people still believe concerning their reliability and service.

АЭРОФЛОТ - САМЫЙ НАДЕЖНЫЙ ПУТЬ В РОССИЮ!!!

Click for large version

Photo © JOE G. WALKER

Click for large version

Photo © George Polfliet

Click for large version

Photo © Felix Sieder

Click for large version

Photo © Toni Marimon

Click for large version

Photo © Stephan Tophoven

Click for large version

Photo © Jordi Grifé

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos