trickijedi

How Long Does It Take To Paint A Plane?

Sat Jul 28, 2001 9:55 am

Inspired by another post, I wonder: How long does it take to paint an airliner? Obviously, size does matter *ahem* but on average... is it a month-long ordeal or an overnighter?
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

RE: How Long Does It Take To Paint A Plane?

Sat Jul 28, 2001 11:43 am

Boeing Everett's paint hangar plans, for new widebody aircraft, 4 days, 3 shifts each day,from roll in to rollout. This is about as fast as I've ever seen it done, they have state of the art equipment. For a repaint involving cleaning and stripping it requires much more (even if no damage is found). The jobs I've seen required at least a full week (7 days) more.

LoneStarMike

RE: How Long Does It Take To Paint A Plane?

Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:58 am

I just recently received a Rapid Rewards ticket on Southwest, which came with a booklet of drink coupons. Each of the coupons has trivia questions regarding Southwest. The ones having to do with paint were:

Q: How long did it take to complete the paint job for Arizona One?

A: Four Days.

Q: How many gallons of paint does it take to complete our standard Boeing 737 jet?

A: 50 gallons. (So ... when can you get started?)

Q: How much does the exterior paint (bear and all) add to the weight of California One?

A: About 300 lbs. (190 lbs. less than the average grizzly bear!)

LoneStarMike