fly_yhm

Air Canada Lite

Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:58 am

What do you think Air Canada Lite's origional Routes will be? Also where will the hubs be.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

RE: Air Canada Lite

Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:00 pm

AirCanada LITE? Who are they?

fly_yhm

Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:03 pm

Its a Discount airline that Air Canada Wants to Start up.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

fallingeese

Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:14 pm

The canadian system of aviation doesn't really operate with a hub-and-spoke system. They are supposedly to be based in Vancouver. The word is they will compete with Westjet in the "western triangle" between Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton. I also think that it will have a small presence in the east probably from Toronto. If they are going to make money they will have to have transcon flights, suchs as YVR-YYZ in it's own niche. Long live westjet.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

Teej13

Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:35 pm

They'll hit the popular routes. Toronto-Montreal, YYZ-YVR, maybe to Halifax, Calgary, etc...

Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:18 pm

What about YKA?

slawko

Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:20 am

I have heard that the plane is to squeeze westjet from either end. There will be a crew/aircraft base in Toronto and Vancouver, and they will try to take westjet on, on their money making routes.

** Please stop using the Hub referance, there is no airline that uses a hub and spoke system in Canada, and if you don;t know what the word means don;t use it.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Bush

Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:37 am

Not sure if this was already posted, but there was an article in the National Post about a numbered company that has applied to register the names 'Jetz Airdirect' and 'Jetz DirectAir', in addition, a stylized logo of the word 'Hello' for promotional material. The article all but stated that it was Air Canada's discount carrier. It also stated that since the logo and name have become prematurely public they might be abandoned. Lets hope they are - that name is horrendous.

slawko

Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:13 am

jetz AirDirect!!! LOL, I hope they keep that name, that way when they flop they can blame it on their name.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

AF777

Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:04 am

I highly doubt that the YYZ-YUL route will be used on the new lowfare carrier due to the hight yields from Rapidair. What do you guys mean that the hub and spoke system is not in use in Canada? AC uses it. Every single flight in the AC system either originates or arrives from either YVR, YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ, YOW, YUL, YHZ, and even YYT. At these "hubs" passengers connect from AC to AC flights, or from AC to AC Regional flights. Thus, the spokes. If toronto is not a hub and spoke airport then what is? Yes, there are many point to point flights within the system, but they are between these nine cities and others.

-wes

C-FYOW

Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:03 am

Slawko.....!!!

I suggest you speak someday to anyone who has worked in the TCU at Ottawa, Montreal, or Toronto,
about Hub and Spoke.

I PERSONALLY know of three people, one who works
at YOW in the tower, one who is a controlller below
ground at Pearson, currently handling traffic from YYZ
into Ottawa, and a third who JUST HAPPENS to be a very close relative of mine, who IMPLEMENTED several
proceedures, for flights in and out of the Ottawa airspace, and so happened to have been Unit Chief at
Ottawa for over 30 years.

I THINK you will be surprised at what they say!!!

Until you have worked in an ATC facility, and fully
understand what HUB and Spoke is, then don't make
baseless opinions without basis of fact..PERIOD!!!!

Noise

Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:17 am

What's the difference between a hub and a hub spoke? And who does an airport become a hub spoke?

On AC's route map in their enRoute magazine, they consider YVR, YYZ and YUL their hubs.

yow

Thu Aug 02, 2001 2:17 pm

A hub is an airport where an airline has a bunch of flights arrive in a bank within a half-hour or so of one another and then people make connections in that city and go on to another city. The spoke is the destination airport, which usually only has flights to the hub airport by that particular airline.

Here in Canada YYZ and YVR are the big hubs for Air Canada, while YUL, YYC and YHZ are secondary hubs. YOW, YWG, YYT, YEG, YQT and YXE are secondary connecting points or third tier hubs. These airports handle a fair amount of connecting traffic but do not have large banks of flights operating to them in order to be considered a real hub.

BO__einG

Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:09 pm

Heres some fine examples of Hubs.

ATLANTA HARTSFIELD!

London Heathrow,
JFK, Denver , Cincincincinati!

AIr Canada Lite, wonder what the livery will be,
Air Canada colours but in lighter tones of red and forest green! A Lighter airplane, a lighter wheel! BAWK! Gimme a break, I wont even take a pcicture of it if it succeds.. and stay out of WEstJets Turf,,!!I love the green N Blue!
They should rename the discount airline into
BUD LIGHT!! HAAAAA!

Bo

Oh and today I was at the airport with my friend and we were the first spotters to see WestJets delivery of its 3rd 700 plane.. C-FKWS>. Boy was it magnificent!! INDEED!
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:17 am

Here is the 'hello' logo that Bush was referring to. As mentioned in the 'What is Air Canada Tango?' thread, the logo and 'Jetz' name is registered to 3673472 Canada, Inc. A search of the Industry Canada Strategis database shows Air Canada VP Calin Rovinescu as its director.