Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zizou
Topic Author

Airlines And Colombo

Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:29 pm

Following Qatar decision to cease services to Colombo, will there be anymore airline cancellations?

gardermoen

RE: Airlines And Colombo

Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:47 pm

Cathay Pacific are the only ones so far to temporary suspend their three weekly Hong Kong-Bangkok-Colombo B777 flights. IN fact, the last flgiht just after the airport reopened was operated with a B744 to take pax out.
I guess the charters like Condor, LTU etc will temporary cease their services,probably resuming again sometime for winter.
Singapore Airlines was going to add an eight and ninth frequency by winter, and Qatar Airways another service, but dont know if they will proceed at this point.

zizou
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2001 12:52 pm

Was the Catrhay Pacific suspension; becasue of the pilot troubles they have been having, the airport incident, or both...

I am looking on going on Emirates or Singapore Airlines to Colombo later this year, is there any chance of them supending flights?

Also when will Cathay Pacific resume flights to Colombo?

gardermoen

Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:47 pm

SQ and EK always have strong traffic into Colombo even without the tourist market so they will not be suspending flights.
Hopefully CX will be back there sometime before the year is out...

airmale

Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:09 pm

Oman Air quit Colombo for mainly commercial reasons are you sure youre not confusing them with Qatar Airways Confused

gardermoen

Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:20 pm

AirMale, I did read somewhere very recently that Qatar Airways,along with SIngapore Airlines were going to increase their frequencies. Gulf Air also wanted to add 2 more flights but were knocked back by the Sri Lankan authorities. Dont know if any of these three airlines will go ahead with their extra flights for a while, but they certaily wont be dropping Colombo altogether.

zizou
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:49 am

Yes "Airmale" you are right. My statement was meant to say Oman Airlines not Qatar Airways. I apologize for my mistake.

When do you you think that Colombo airport will be back to normal traffic (before the coup). December 2001 perhaps?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos