Notar520AC
Topic Author

Helicopter Shuttles

Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:56 am

From photos I've seen, it appears some European airlines like BA and KLM use large helicopters as shuttles to the airstrips? Any info?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Paul Robinson

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

-Notar520AC
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

airsicknessbag

RE: Helicopter Shuttles

Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:39 pm

Umm, you´re only partly right.

For example, if you enlarge the second, the KLM photo, it says the helicopter is used for flights to the North Sea oil rigs. So that would be an operation totally unrelated to the normal business of carrying normal passengers.

As for the BA, I imagine those were used for flights to the Scilly Islands, off the Cornish coast - again, not a shuttle in the sense you´re implying (i.e. airport -> city centre) but rather a normal flight to locations a plane can´t reach.

Another example would be Malta Air Charter who serve Malta´s only domestic route on behalf of Air Malta: Malta to the neighbouring island of Gozo.

Click for large version

Photo © Harro Ranter

I was on such a flight half a year ago, and it sure was an experience!

Anyway, the only real shuttle service I´ve heard of were the flights from JFK to Manhattan which some airlines provided for their high yield pax. (I believe Lufthansa was one of them.)

Daniel Smile

LBA

Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:45 pm

BA used to run helicopter shuttle service from LHR to LGW.

paulc

Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:21 pm

G-LINK an S61 used to link LHR - LGW (BA/Bcal joint idea)
English First, British Second, european Never!

Stretch 8

Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:25 pm

When I was a kid (way back in the stone age of the late 1960s) Pan Am had copter service from the top of its building in mid-town Manhattan to JFK. I will never forget those trips. Awesome views when you pulled from the rooftop at 40+ floors up!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

airsicknessbag

Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:21 pm

LHR-LGW - now that sounds like a great idea to ease congestion! FRA should do that with HHN and/or MHG!

Daniel Smile