silver_wing767

Is YMX Closing For Good?

Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:40 am

So there i am today sitting at gate 12,at yul waiting for my aircreebec to come in . When a caterer comes in and ask if i heard that ymx is closing and Air trans and C3 will now bring all there flights to YUL. Is this true, and if so where are they going to put everything. Things are thight as they are already. Can you imangine the international custom belt, with more flights then it is already! Whats is ADM smoking in there little rooms. Can anyone add to this??

RE: Is YMX Closing For Good?

Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:47 am

Sorry I'm a bit of a nocive at Canadian airport codes. Where is YMX again? Vancouver??

Sorry,

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:48 am

Novice I mean.  Big grin

silver_wing767

Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:55 am

No prob....YMX, is mirabel. the airport that used to handle international fights untill everythuing went to dorval....vancouver is YVR.

bodobodo

Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:01 am

If I recall correctly when ADM (Aeroports de Montreal) held its annual meeting a few months ago it was mentioned that there was the possibility of consolidating passenger flights at YUL (Dorval) and leaving YMX (Mirabel) to cargo and Bombardier. I haven't heard anything new since then except that they have now implemented the increased Airport Improvement Fees that were announced at the time.

Cheers,
Felix

flyyul

Tue Jul 31, 2001 12:21 pm

It would be total chaos at Dorval if all the charters were to be allowed......

An extra 1.5 million pax/cars/baggage etc etc..its really tight right now..

Maybe with the expansion plan?

Mark

yhu

Wed Aug 01, 2001 2:22 am

If it ever does happen, it won't be until the expansion at Dorval is finished. Right now all Mirabel flights are transborder and international charter. Transborder is where Dorval is the most cramped.

If they did close YMX to passenger traffic, I believe it would give them a good reason to tear down the current terminal. That way, in 2040, when Dorval is at capacity, they can build a new terminal at Mirabel....on the City side of the airport....and it would be a start from scratch. Except the land is already there and the runways are already set up.

Also, if it does happen, ADM better be ready for protests from both West Island and Laval residents (for two different reasons).

Dorval

Noise

Wed Aug 01, 2001 4:42 am

Where do you see a Charter concourse being built a Dorval? I see a new finger sticking out of terminal, where the aeroquay is. I could also see a small terminal being built along runway 24L.

yhu

Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:23 am

I don't see a charter terminal being built. They could mix the airlines together in the new fingers they are constructing. Most charters from Mirabel are International, and there will be space at the new finger.

That said, I'm not sure how happy the charters will be about having to live by the curfew. But I seem to remember Toronto Pearson having a curfew, so you never know.

Dave

Mark_D.

Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:59 am

Silver_wing767,

did the caterer give you any more details, like who he or she got this news from, for instance?

I think you and the other guys are right, pretty hard to imagine ADM making a 'final switchover' at this hectic time in poor ol' Dorval's career. Plus they're running out of money, having in fact just introduced a new AIF for Mirabel, in addition to upping the current Dorval one to fifteen bucks, now (PR here).

Mark_D.

Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:45 pm

Silver_wing767 (P.S.)

unless the new YMX AIF is maybe the final straw for Transat and C3, to say "Right that's it, we're a-quittin' this place, too now.."