Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Steps To Become An Airline Transport Pilot

Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:44 pm

hello people. haven't post a topic for a long long time already.

now, what steps should be taken in order to become an ATP pilot for any carrier. Do you still go to university or college after your IB or A Level or high school?

What do you do in the flying school? do you get the rating you want like say if you want to fly the B777, does flying schools have such courses or only airlines provide trainings for such?

After flying school, do we just walk-in to airlines and seek for job? we then go through a training again rite?

I will appreaciate if you would kindly answer the above questions or list the steps out one by one. Recently I was thinking of becoming a pilot instead of a Computer Engineer. After this summer, I will be going to Yr 11 and do some IGCSE or some sort.

Thanks in advance!

airbus lover
setting the standards...
A380, where wonders never cease...

ryu2

RE: Steps To Become An Airline Transport Pilot

Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:09 pm

I don't really know the situation in Malaysia, but I know that SIA's cadet training program is open to Malaysian citizens. I don't know if Malaysian has a similar training program.

Otherwise, the route in countries like the US and UK, with a sizeable military aviation/regional airline community, is to build flight hours through one of those means. See http://www.jetcareers.com/

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:38 pm

If that is the case, I might want to go back to the U. S. to seek for a good school or to some other countries... like say Aussie ?

Qantas737

Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:24 pm

Australia isnt really good for pilots to get a career in airlines at the moment. But in the years to come employment oppurtunities here are supposed to increase a lot, since a lot of Qantas Captains are scheduled to retire. I think North America is the hot spot to get a job these days, but i dont really know the situation too well.