Tom in NO
Topic Author

Antonov AN-124's Hard Up For Work?

Sat Aug 04, 2001 1:49 am

I guess it must be the slow time of year for the heavy cargo Antonov 124's. We had one deliver a load into New Orleans Int'l 2 weeks ago today. As of this morning, he's still sleeping down at our general aviation ramp. One of the rampers was telling me that he's staying there until he gets a call to deliver another load. Hope the crew's not overdoing it in the French Quarter!

Of course, if Tropical Storm Barry moves our way, that might get him to leave!

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

fatboy

RE: Antonov AN-124's Hard Up For Work?

Sat Aug 04, 2001 2:23 am

Tom--
We had an AN-124 here at FAT a couple of months ago and it also sat on the ramp for a couple of weeks. I got a tour of the plane and the crew explained that it is SOP to sit for a week or two waiting for the next assignment. Since they haul big ticket items, they charge big ticket prices. They can afford to sit around for a few days. It's a lot cheaper to wait than fly that sucker. BTW, if you want a tour, just call the FBO that is doing the ground handling and leave a message for the crew that your babushka would like to cook them some Halushki and leplushki's. When they call back, tell them that your babushka just fell ill, but you'll give them a case of Jonnnie Walker Black for a tour. Works every time.

qnh1013

Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:27 am

The same over here in EBOS about 2 months ago. A Volga-Dnepr An124 sat here for three weeks. They got a lot of assignments, but it was A LOT cheaper to let the plane at the gate, then to fly it to another destination...

Greetz
QNH1013

BH

Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:35 am

Same over here at BWI, they flew in a couple of historic tanks and sat at our ramp for 6 days. Very nice crews and they like to trade.