usflyer123
Topic Author

Best and worst transfer airport by continent

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:09 pm

OK first I will begin with North America- Best: SLC, Worst: LAX.
Europe- Best:ZRH, Worst: FRA.
Asia- Best: DOH/SIN, Worst: BOM.
Africa- Best: both ADD and GRU were good.
South America- Best: BOG, Worst: GRU.
Oceania: Best: AKL, Worst: PER.

So, what about you guys?
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

flyingclrs727

Re: Best and worst transfer airport by continent

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 pm

JFK has to be at least as bad as LAX. There is no airside transportation between terminals.

If I had to make an international connection in the NYC area, I would fly United to EWR to connect to their hub to point routes in western Europe. There is no need to change terminals. Some of the corridors are a bit narrow, but it's worthwhile to connect there to get directly to a western European destination the next morning rather than make an early morning connection at a hub like LHR or FRA.

IAH is a pretty easy place to connect. All the terminals are connected airside by the skyway. Getting from terminal A to terminals D/E takes just a few minutes. I have personally connected from terminal B to terminal D for an international connection with a 1:05 scheduled connection time with no problems. Supposedly the signage telling how to get to the skyway is inadequate.

AirbusA343

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:44 pm

usflyer123 wrote:

So, what about you guys?

One of the good ones in Africa you said was GRU. GRU is Sao Paulo so which airport do you actually mean?

usflyer123
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:03 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

So, what about you guys?

One of the good ones in Africa you said was GRU. GRU is Sao Paulo so which airport do you actually mean?

My bad, I meant JNB.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

silverado6x6

Mon May 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Next time i fly in Australia it will be to Brisbane instead of Sydney. Sydney is just a cattle yard for people.

KLDC10

Mon May 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I can only comment on a couple of Continents:

North America:
Best: Atlanta. The linear layout of the concourse buildings, combined with the ease of using the 'Plane Train' means that no other airport comes close. One time I was forced by a schedule change to make a sub-one hour connection and managed it with ease.
Worst: Probably JFK, but I avoid it for its bad reputation. So of the airports I have actually used, Miami was probably the most frustrating. That said, I was arriving on a flight from Central America, so maybe that aspect made it worse.

Europe:
Best: Close tie between Amsterdam and Keflavik. Both are optimized for transfer passengers and both are very easy to use. Schiphol is even better in terms of transferring now that security has been centralized (having to re-clear security between flights was the biggest problem before the changes). Keflavik gets really busy, but I've never had any problems with making a connection.
Worst: Charles de Gaulle. It just isn't optimized for making connections. Connecting between Schengen and Non-Schengen flights can be a nightmare - especially for the uninitiated. And that's before we begin to get into Air France's split hub operation, which involves some passengers transferring not only between terminals, but across the city to Paris Orly. The latter, I have thankfully only had to do once, but I try to avoid Paris where possible to be honest.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

dc9northwest

Mon May 08, 2017 5:25 pm

I like Delta's DTW hub. Worst? Dunno. LAX probably...

In Europe, I like MUC or AMS best. Would tend to agree with clusterFRAck.

Asia... Not sure, but all that I've been through have been at least decent. Even PVG makes int'l connections much easier than any US airport.

Socrates17

Mon May 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Europe: Best AMS, Worst CDG. Don't understand that hate for FRA, which I've always found to be rather efficient.
Asia: Bearing in mind that I've never traveled to the subcontinent, Asia seems to have the best airports in general. Best: SIN, Worst (and it isn't bad): CAN.
I've never connected in Oceania, only flown into or out of SYD, AKL and Alice Springs so I can't comment on connections.
North America: GOD, where to begin. Worst, JFK, LAX, O'Hare. Best Toronto Pearson, where I've connected going to LHR in order to avoid the US3.
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

VSMUT

Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Based on my experiences:

Europe
Best: CDG, MUN and ZRH
Worst: AMS and FRA

IPFreely

Mon May 08, 2017 6:42 pm

usflyer123 wrote:

SLC is certainly less busy and less congested than LAX. While that makes for smoother connections, SLC has flights to only 89 destinations. LAX has flights to 186 destinations which offers a butt load of connections that can't be made in SLC. So the comparison is a bit unfair.

bobnwa

Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Thye worst in north america has to be Toronto
it has very poor signage, very limited moving sidewalsk and zero electric carts

LTU932

Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Best: AMS, PTY (though PTY needs to improve their flight information, I almost lost my connection because of that)
Worst: MEX (lack of signage for connections, understaffed immigration checkpoints make it a horrible choice for flight connections under 3 hours, though that was 2010)
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Cubsrule

Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 am

usflyer123 wrote:
South America- Best: BOG, Worst: GRU

Why BOG over SCL? Both work pretty well; it's hard for me to pick one. I might give SCL the edge for the cool luggage sculpture in domestic arrivals.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TheFlyingDisk

Tue May 09, 2017 2:15 am

usflyer123 wrote:

Transferring in DOH is fine if you're flying premium, but if you're a budget traveler you'll find there's nothing to do as the shopping's premium skewed.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

IAHWorldflyer

Tue May 09, 2017 2:46 am

In Europe I'd say MUC and AMS are among the best. FRA isn't bad, but there can be some very long walks. CDG I find to be one of the worst anywhere. The architecture is cool, but so often I've arrived to a hardstand, taken a 15 minute loop-de -loop bus ride to the understaffed immigration checkpoint, and then missed my onward connection. AF likes to schedule 60 to 90 minute connections and I've found these almost impossible to make. In the US I like DEN and IAD. ATL is functional, but there's just so many people there all day long it is never what I'd call peaceful.

A330NZ

Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

I can only comment on a few continents

Europe

Best: MUC
Very good signage, little-to-no waiting, great airport

Worst: IST
A lot of waiting, complex layout

Asia

Best: SIN
In my opinion it's hands down the best transfer airport in the world, clear signage, abundance of transfer amenities

Worst: CAN
Most of my beef stems from terrible signage when transferring international-to-international, especially when wanting to obtain the 72-hour transit visa

Oceania

Best: AKL
Most of the time I use AKL for international-domestic connections, however back in the days of NZ302/303, transferred through AKL. Minimal waiting times, clear signage, however still very much behind SIN and MUC

Worst: SYD
Transferred through SYD several times, found transit security to be congested, however out of my 3 worst transits listed, definitely ranks higher than IST and CAN

intotheair

Tue May 09, 2017 8:11 am

KLDC10 wrote:

North America:
Best: Atlanta. The linear layout of the concourse buildings, combined with the ease of using the 'Plane Train' means that no other airport comes close. One time I was forced by a schedule change to make a sub-one hour connection and managed it with ease.

DEN was built using the same design as ATL, so I would say that DEN is at least comparable. The linear concourse layout is the same (if not the same exact architect), and the train is the same. The only differences are that there's no walkway next to the train; instead there's a pedestrian bridge between the terminal and Concourse A, and all the international gates were built in A in order to save on early construction costs as per CO's wishes. There are a few other differences, but the design philosophy is the same, so it's a very connection friendly airport as well, and it's pretty amazing how many people are processed through DEN too.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

LGAviation

Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 am

Europe:
Best: AMS and FRA
FRA is my hometown airport but I have connected at FRA quite a bit and as long as you have intra-Schengen connections on LH it is incredibly easy to connect there. I love DUB for its pre-clearance but aside from that I dislike the Irish and UK setup with mandatory security checks.
Worst: IST and LHR
IST isn't even a question, what is this mess? The airport is poorly signed, always crowded and amenities aside from the TK lounge are rather poor. Also, frequent delays and lack of seating space. Connecting at LHR is a nightmare especially when changing terminals. Also, why does every single way to passport control or to transfers need to be that extremely long especially in T2 and T3.

North America:
So far, I have connected at JFK, EWR, ATL, ORD, SFO, DFW, MIA, HNL, POS, CUR, AUA
Best: DFW, DFW has been extremely straightforward and easy to use.
Worst: JFK and MIA, every single instance in which I connected at JFK was plagued by massive delays on at least one flight and then when connecting on DL from MIA to AF to CDG the terminal change was just.. With MIA, I have no idea why I always get lucky and that airport is closed due to some thunderstorms or is in a particular mess for some random reason. I have had them all, security evacuation, too humid, too cold in the rest of the country and it was always a mess, especially International to International.

Asia: I have so far connected at DOH, AUH, DEL, PEK, PVG, BKK, KUL, SIN, CGK, soon: ICN
Best: SIN, there's other airports and then there's SIN
Worst: PVG, lack of amenities and very sterile, always enjoy the transrapid ride though

Oceania: PER, BNE, ASP, SYD, AKL
Best: ASP, it could not have been easier arriving from SYD on QF going straight to the QF club and then going onwards to AYQ an hour or so later
Worst: All others, I just don't like Australia's terminal layout where international and domestic connections requiring sometimes paid transfer by road. I was lucky to fly EY in and VA out of PER so at least they were colocated. But I see how this one could have been a major issue. With my connections at BNE, I had to experiences coming from POM and going to AKL was international to international and aside from the 50 mins connection time pretty smooth, coming from HIA going to SYD was just hell.

South America: only connected at SCL and AEP. Liked both, although immigration at AEP was a not that orderly but I liked the proximity to the city and how you could go there for a brief walk.
2017: ACE AMS BRE CDG CPH DCA DUB FRA HAM ICN JFK KEF LCY LGW LHR NBO OSL ROR STN VFA
2018: ADD CPH DEN DUB FRA HAH HAM KEF PEK PVG RAK STN SYD YVR

KLDC10

Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 am

intotheair wrote:
DEN was built using the same design as ATL, so I would say that DEN is at least comparable. The linear concourse layout is the same (if not the same exact architect), and the train is the same. The only differences are that there's no walkway next to the train; instead there's a pedestrian bridge between the terminal and Concourse A, and all the international gates were built in A in order to save on early construction costs as per CO's wishes. There are a few other differences, but the design philosophy is the same, so it's a very connection friendly airport as well, and it's pretty amazing how many people are processed through DEN too.

I've never flown through Denver, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. Perhaps I'll have to organize a trip there sometime to take a look for myself. Thanks for the information.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

republican

Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 am

Best:
SIN, ZRH, HKG, NRT

Worst:
None yet, surprisingly only transferred through these 4 airports so far and they've all been pretty good experiences although i'd consider ZRH to be the most efficient

jumpjets

Tue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Not done too many transfers myself but the best I have experienced is SIN by a long way and the worst MIA [do I really have to be locked in a room while waiting for my onward connection?]. MIA was a few years back so maybe its better now.

Others worth mentioning that I really dislike - LIN and BKK
Ones I quite liked were FCO and MAD.

Cush

Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Cool Thread! Here are my picks for continents I've been to...

North America:
Best: Pittsburgh (PIT)
Worst: New York (JFK) or Toronto (YYZ). I chose JFK due to having to transfer buildings an re-clear security, and YYZ due to their terrible layout, and the need to clear security 3-4 times when connecting to get on a flight to the US. It's insane. I absolutely refuse to fly through that sad excuse for a country named Canada.

Europe:
Best: Frankfurt (FRA)
Worst: Berlin (TXL)

I know a lot of you hate Frankfurt, but i actually like it. Now, Berlin was the absolute worst. I've been to third world nations that have nicer airports than that sad and sorry excuse for an airport. Seriously. If i was German I would be ashamed of it...

Asia:
Best: Baku (GYD)
Worst: Moscow, Domodedovo (DME)

Baku airport is one of the nicest airports I have ever been to. Connecting is a breeze and the airport is beautiful. I don't mind Moscow Domodedovo, but i have only been to a handful of Asian airports so my experience is more limited than say Western Europe or the US. I don't like DME due to the layout.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

RoySFlying

Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 am

usflyer123 wrote:

Fortunately PER is improving. The completion of Terminal 1 Domestic means that passengers transferring from an International flight to a domestic flight operated by VA no longer need to transfer by road to another terminal. From early 2018, both International and Domestic flights operated by Qantas will be located on the same side of the field, making it easier for Qantas passengers.

For other transfers, the problem will remain until Qantas finally (if ever) agrees to relocate to the south side of the field.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

LupineChemist

Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 pm

LTU932 wrote:
Best: AMS, PTY (though PTY needs to improve their flight information, I almost lost my connection because of that)
Worst: MEX (lack of signage for connections, understaffed immigration checkpoints make it a horrible choice for flight connections under 3 hours, though that was 2010)

Had a 2 hour connection at MEX last week.

Had to run to the gate to make it. They really need some sort of connections lane for the immigration procedures there.

sfuk

Wed May 10, 2017 5:45 pm

[quote="Cush"]Cool Thread! Here are my picks for continents I've been to...

North America:
Worst: New York (JFK) or Toronto (YYZ). I chose JFK due to having to transfer buildings an re-clear security, and YYZ due to their terrible layout, and the need to clear security 3-4 times when connecting to get on a flight to the US. It's insane. I absolutely refuse to fly through that sad excuse for a country named Canada.

Sad excuse for a country? Wow, someone get butt hurt did they? I wouldn't call Canada a sad excuse for a country. I'd love to hear your reasons......
As for your comment about clearing security 3-4 times.....let me just raise my BS flag.

Would you mind explaining the 3-4 security screenings. I've connected in YYZ LOTS and NEVER had more than 1 security screening.

Bostrom

Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

I must vote for CPH as one of the best in Europe. Not too big, and easy to transfer between Schengen/Non-Schengen flights.

DaveFly

Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I live in NYC, so I've never transferred used EWR/JFK for anything but O&D. I can understand how bad they would be for transfer.

In my experience --
Best U.S. -- Atlanta or Detroit
Worst -- Philadelphia

Best Europe -- Munich
Worst -- Frankfurt
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

n729pa

Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 pm

I think airport score badly if we've had a bad experience however if your try and connect somewhere like CDG LHR SYD for example in 45 mins to 60 mins then frankly you're asking for trouble.
I find ams ok to transit through but lousy to go through passport control and go out. LHR for all its knocks I can get through in no time.

So transits...
Europe
Best....ZRH FRA
OK. ..MAD LHR
Worst ....GVA CDG
M.East and F. East
Best SIN HKG
Worst DXB
Australia
Best SYD Int'l to Domestic
OK MEL SYD BNE Domestic
Worst PER Int'l to Domestic and vice versa
SYD lnt'l to int'l

LTU932

Wed May 10, 2017 11:00 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
LTU932 wrote:

Had a 2 hour connection at MEX last week.

Had to run to the gate to make it. They really need some sort of connections lane for the immigration procedures there.
I feel you. I also had to run to the gate, which is not easy at 7,700 ft surface altitude and with my bad cardio. I arrived just before doors closed and I was so gassed, I almost passed out. The LH flight attendants were gracious in giving me a small cup of orange juice to recover.

I mean, I don't mind going through immigration for a connection, but MEX really needs to improve. I was only supposed to go through immigration and not through customs, yet I had to go through customs with my carry-on luggage after all, despite being on a connection. And those who went through MEX, will know about the dreaded traffic light system that chooses you for a thorough customs check. I've had far better experiences in DFW and EWR than in MEX, although in DFW I used the green APCs, while in EWR the Terminal C FIS was rather empty when I went through customs (even through CBP Agricultural on the leg to SJO) and immigration both ways.

I hope that once the new AICM opens, that they drastically improve the experience for international to international connecting passengers, at least in terms of signage. In comparison, PTY was a breeze, despite the missing information on the flight information monitors (several flights, including mine, were missing, I had to ask a CM employee about my gate). While the flight information issue soured my experience a bit with PTY, there's a very good reason why PTY is one of the best airports in Central America for connections.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

767333ER

Thu May 11, 2017 4:54 am

Cush wrote:
Cool Thread! Here are my picks for continents I've been to...

North America:

Europe:
Best: Frankfurt (FRA)
Worst: Berlin (TXL)

I know a lot of you hate Frankfurt, but i actually like it. Now, Berlin was the absolute worst. I've been to third world nations that have nicer airports than that sad and sorry excuse for an airport. Seriously. If i was German I would be ashamed of it...

Asia:
Best: Baku (GYD)
Worst: Moscow, Domodedovo (DME)

Baku airport is one of the nicest airports I have ever been to. Connecting is a breeze and the airport is beautiful. I don't mind Moscow Domodedovo, but i have only been to a handful of Asian airports so my experience is more limited than say Western Europe or the US. I don't like DME due to the layout.

I'm curios as to when the last time you connected though YYZ was. They've made massive changes in the connection process in the last couple of years and it has vastly been improved. Before the US customs process required everyone to completely exit out into the checkin area and re-enter with everyone origination in Toronto, now there is a separate way to clear security and enter customs for those connecting that does not require the exit into the check in area. The customs process itself is much better as it is more automated. I think this new process also allowes people connecting from outside of Canada and traveling to the US to bypass Canadian customs and proceed directly to the US pre-clearance. This goes for Terminal 1 anyway, I am not sure what the deal is with Terminal 3, but if that's all you've used it may explain why you don't like YYZ as that terminal is not the best of facilities.

And 3-4 times clearing security can take be true, even with the old layout you only would have to clear it once unless you made some serious wrong turns or something .
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

maortega15

Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 am

Surprised no one has mentioned MNL as worst for transit! You have to take a taxi just to transfer terminals and just the traffic alone is atrocious!

conaly

Fri May 12, 2017 4:51 am

Europe
Best: MUC, ZRH
Worst: CDG

Asia
Best: KUL, SIN
Worst: IST, BOM

afterburner33

Fri May 12, 2017 6:46 am

I'm just going to say best and worst overall as my experience is limited (almost all of my flights are point to point).

Best - HKG
Worst - LAX.

mad99

Fri May 12, 2017 1:45 pm

nice to see CDG getting the grief it deserves

Tabito

Sun May 14, 2017 6:00 am

Asia

Best: SIN, NGO
Worst: CGK, CAN, PEK

Europe

Best: AMS, ZRH, CPH
Worst: CDG, LHR, FRA

America

Best: YVR, DFW
Worst: JFK, ORD, LAX

csturdiv

Sun May 14, 2017 10:34 pm

I just had a hell of a time in HNL to connect to my international QF flight after a HA domestic flight.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Gr8Circle

Thu May 18, 2017 5:28 pm

bobnwa wrote:
Thye worst in north america has to be Toronto
it has very poor signage, very limited moving sidewalsk and zero electric carts

Don't know how you got to this conclusion.....both the terminals at YYZ are spacious, have more than decent signage, plenty of moving sidewalks to the remote gates (except if you are arriving / departing domestic or to/from US destinations at T3) and have electric carts for transporting the old/disabled to their gates....

Gr8Circle

Thu May 18, 2017 5:31 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
So, what about you guys?

BOM used to be bad for domestic to international transfers, but with the opening of the new international terminal in 2014, with AI, 9W and Vistara operating their domestic flights from the international terminal itself, transfers are a breeze...of course, if you are on any of the other domestic airlines like Go, Indigo, Spice, etc. and need to transfer to/from the international terminal, it's the same old painful bus transfer.....

aklrno

Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 am

My experience Tuesday at SFO made remember that IMHO it is the worst transfer airport in North America. It's not the facilities, which were beautiful, the staff at UA (despite recent problems they were all very helpful to me), or the ease of getting to the gate. It is the fact that clouds are enough to close half the runways and cause 45 minute flights (short flights are disproportionately delayed) to be late 3-4 hours. An airport without sufficient runways may make a great shopping mall but a terrible airport.

On the reverse of that trip (made 1 month ago) I transferred from WN to NZ. That's the longest possible walk at LAX. It was a very pleasant 10-15 minutes. Everything ran on time despite clouds. Yes, I had an extra trip through TSA but that was only about 15 minutes. At least they had runways.

One more thing that was nice about SFO, but I think it may have been a fluke. I was first off my aircraft, first to border control, and that huge room was empty except for me and the government employees. Same for baggage claim and customs. All those carousels and no people. I just had carry-on and made it through the whole facility as fast as I could walk with a 15 second stop at the passport guy.

LH748

Sun May 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Europe: AMS, LIS (best), CDG, LHR (worst)
North America: DTW (best), SFO (worst)
Asia: HKG (best), XMN (worst)
A306 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 B733 B737 B738 B739 B743 B744 B748 B752 B753 B763 B764 B772 B77W B788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA, AB, AC, AF, AK, AZ, BA, DE, DL, EW, FR, HF, HG, IB, IR, MF, LH, LT, LX, TG, TK, TP, UA, VN, WN, W6, YP, YW

VSMUT

Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 am

mad99 wrote:
nice to see CDG getting the grief it deserves

Funny about that, CDG is the only airport (together with MUC and ZRH, but I rarely travel through those) in Europe where I haven't lost a suitcase or missed a short connection yet. Happens all the time for me in AMS however, I think I made one successful trip through that nightmare of an airport without missing anything.

Devilfish

Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 pm

maortega15 wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned MNL as worst for transit! You have to take a taxi just to transfer terminals and just the traffic alone is atrocious!

When was the last time you used NAIA? While the transfer shuttle leaves a lot to be desired, it does get you to your intended terminal without leaving the airport premises. The opening of the NAIA Expressway has alleviated much of the traffic headaches. And though I doubt the milestone and the "high-speed" part, there is this to look forward to... :crossfingers: ...

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/govt-t ... n-3-years/
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

TheFlyingSamosa

Sat May 27, 2017 6:52 am

usflyer123 wrote:

So, what about you guys?

Excuse me, what do you even mean by WORST - BOM? the old BOM is dead. BOM is now one of the best airports in Asia. Have you even seen Mumbai CSIA T2. It is much much better than any other airport in Central Asia. Also transfers at BOM are pretty seamless depending on your airline. T2 has the largest arrival duty free in India. I have had transfers in BOM and they were much much much better than DEL and KUL. BOM is now equivalent to SIN and DOH. In fact it serves more passengers than DOH and a little less than SIN. Take some time and visit BOM sometime, you will be amazed.

Also
Asia - Best: SIN, BOM, HKG, Worst: MAA
Europe - Best: ZRH, Worst: AMS
North America - Best: DEN, Worst: EWR, MEX
Africa - Best: ADD, CAI, Fine: NBO, JNB, Worst: None
Middle East - Best: DOH, DXB, Fine: KWI, Worst: JED, MCT (old terminal)
Oceania - Never been there
South America - Never been there either.
9W can connect the world through NMIA

TheFlyingSamosa

Sat May 27, 2017 7:04 am

conaly wrote:
Asia
Best: KUL, SIN
Worst: IST, BOM

BOM, is worst? I guess you are talking about the old BOM. The old BOM is dead. The new CSIA T2 is the best airport in Central Asia. It is better than KUL and almost equal to SIN. Transfers at BOM are seamless if you are traveling by Jet Airways or Air India. Transfers from Domestic to International might be buggy but International transfers at T2 are simply amazing. From my experience I would say that Mumbai has the best transfers in India followed by DEL. Visit the new BOM and you will be amazed.
9W can connect the world through NMIA

conaly

Sun May 28, 2017 3:56 am

TheFlyingSamosa wrote:
BOM, is worst? I guess you are talking about the old BOM. The old BOM is dead. The new CSIA T2 is the best airport in Central Asia. It is better than KUL and almost equal to SIN. Transfers at BOM are seamless if you are traveling by Jet Airways or Air India. Transfers from Domestic to International might be buggy but International transfers at T2 are simply amazing. From my experience I would say that Mumbai has the best transfers in India followed by DEL. Visit the new BOM and you will be amazed.

If it is better by now, I'm fine with that. I can only speak from experience from late 2014. I had two connections in BOM. First was LH intl to 9W domestic. Re-checkin you luggage (ok, this is not too uncommon, because of customs), very long waiting time for the transfer bus at night, very long bus transfer around the tarmac, no information about which gate up the point where boarding started. It was a bad experience.
My second transfer was three weeks later, 9W domestic to AI domestic. Again no luggage transfer, had to take my luggage again, get out of the terminal, take a taxi to transfer, re-checking and the area from which I boarded looked more like a bazaar. Completely overcrowded, most of the screens with the flight numbers where off, I had to ask several times, if it's the correct flight (and got different answers...). The experience was not good.

On the other hand my transfer in DEL from 9W domestic to LH intl was flawless.

GE90man

Wed May 31, 2017 12:19 am

I would say that VHHH/HKG isn't too bad to transfer around. After you get cleared into airside, mostly everything is under the same roof, so it means that you will not have to run from one terminal to another. However, VHHH is quite big, and with their current expansion, it may now be necessary for someone to have to transfer from one terminal to another, such as going from terminal 1 to the midfield concourse.

RL777

Wed May 31, 2017 12:56 am

GE90man wrote:
I would say that VHHH/HKG isn't too bad to transfer around. After you get cleared into airside, mostly everything is under the same roof, so it means that you will not have to run from one terminal to another. However, VHHH is quite big, and with their current expansion, it may now be necessary for someone to have to transfer from one terminal to another, such as going from terminal 1 to the midfield concourse.

Transferring to the midfield concourse is relatively straightforward especially if your arriving in T1 as you can clear the security checkpoint and then directly onto the train.

Midwestindy

Wed May 31, 2017 12:57 am

Best:
DXB
MUC
SLC
ADD
AKL

Worst:
LHR
LOS
EWR
BAH
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH

ASQ400

Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 am

Best: SEA. I only hit up the AS areas, so my feeling could be skewed, but I found at least those terminals to be quite pleasant. IAH was also nice.
Worst: JFK. No airside connections, and all around a garbage bag.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

bobnwa

Wed May 31, 2017 5:26 am

KLDC10 wrote:

North America:
Worst: Probably JFK, but I avoid it for its bad reputation. So of the airports I have actually used, Miami was probably the most frustrating. That said, I was arriving on a flight from Central America, so maybe that aspect made it worse.

Europe:
Best: Close tie between Amsterdam and Keflavik. Both are optimized for transfer passengers and both are very easy to use. Schiphol is even better in terms of transferring now that security has been centralized (having to re-clear security between flights was the biggest problem before the changes). Keflavik gets really busy, but I've never had any problems with making a connection.
Worst: Charles de Gaulle. It just isn't optimized for making connections. Connecting between Schengen and Non-Schengen flights can be a nightmare - especially for the uninitiated. And that's before we begin to get into Air France's split hub operation, which involves some passengers transferring not only between terminals, but across the city to Paris Orly. The latter, I have thankfully only had to do once, but I try to avoid Paris where possible to be honest.