Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Volotea 717 from/to UK?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make my first trip for the sole reason of flying, not going on holiday! I would love to experience a Boeing 717. Looking at my options, my best chance is catching a Volotea flight, before they retire them. My local airport is SOU (Southampton) and Volotea offer flights to PMI and IBZ. I am looking to go on a Saturday in June and return on the Sunday.

I have found cheap flights including stops (which is not a problem for me). For example, I could fly SOU-MAN with Flybe, MAN-PMI with Jet2, Ryanair etc and then PMI-SOU on Volotea. However, the Volotea website does not seem to list whether the aircraft will be a B717 or A319. Is there anyway I can tell the schedule aircraft (I realise there is always the chance of fleet swaps / subs etc), but in general, I'd like to know the probability of getting on a 717.

Also, when arriving at PMI, it would likely be quite later in the evening, would I be best booking a hotel, or could I stay at the airport (this is something I have never done before and not quite sure how comfortable I would feel doing it).

Any help? Thanks!

michaelg90222

Re: Volotea 717 from/to UK?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 am

Hi Virginblue,

I flew on the inaugural PMI to SOU flight last year on the 717 and it was a great experience. Like you I was hoping for the 717 as I couldn't find any info on a/c type! Have you tried researching any route information sites like routesonline? (sorry, i dont have time right now to go digging!)

I took an early morning Monarch flight out of LGW and had plenty of time to roam around PMI and the vicinity.

There's a bus fron the airport to Can Pastilla (about 10 mins away), which looked like it had many hotels if that would be your preference, and seemed pretty cheap when I was looking at my options.

Heres my trip report of youre interested!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=980923 (i think that's linked ok. Trying to do it on my phone for the first time)

Good luck!

Mickael

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:49 pm

michaelg90222 wrote:
Hi Virginblue,

I flew on the inaugural PMI to SOU flight last year on the 717 and it was a great experience. Like you I was hoping for the 717 as I couldn't find any info on a/c type! Have you tried researching any route information sites like routesonline? (sorry, i dont have time right now to go digging!)

I took an early morning Monarch flight out of LGW and had plenty of time to roam around PMI and the vicinity.

There's a bus fron the airport to Can Pastilla (about 10 mins away), which looked like it had many hotels if that would be your preference, and seemed pretty cheap when I was looking at my options.

Heres my trip report of youre interested!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=980923 (i think that's linked ok. Trying to do it on my phone for the first time)

Good luck!

Mickael

Thank you very much for your reply. I had a look through your trip report, it was a great read, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I've done a little bit more research and found the following:

- when making a dummy booking on th Volotea website, you can see the seat map of the aircraft. The flight I am looking at seems to be operated using a 717.
- using the Skyscanner app, it lists the flight at a 717
- when searching for the flight number and looking on the floghtmapper.net website, V7 3934 seems to be scheduled as a 717 on a Sunday.

Overall, it looks pretty certain the flight I am looking at should be a 717.

I would prefer to do it in a day trip like you, but prices are extremely expensive and/or timings aren't very good.

So it looks like I'm probably going to fly the same route as you. Fly with Monarch from LGW-PMI on a Saturday evening in June and then Volotea from PMI-SOU on the Sunday morning (Volotea only seem to offer one morning flight to SOU on weekends).

I could fly TCX from LGW-PMI and spend the whole day in PMI, but the flight is almost double the price of the Monarch flight and as it leaves LGW so early in the morning, I'd have to stay in a hotel before the flight, further increasing costs.

I will look into it over the next couple of days.

debonair

Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 am

Hi, in June Jet2 will operate nice A330's lsd from AirTanker UK on the MAN-PMI-MAN; might be a nice catch too!!!

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm

I think I'm going to fly BOH-PMI on the Saturday (Ryanair, never flown with them before) and then PMI-SOU on the Sunday with Volotea. Pretty good prices.

debonair wrote:
Hi, in June Jet2 will operate nice A330's lsd from AirTanker UK on the MAN-PMI-MAN; might be a nice catch too!!!

I did notice that the flight was showing as an A330, but I wasn't sure where it was being leased from.

Now I'm not sure whether to fly direct from BOH or from SOU via MAN! 8-)

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:38 pm

All booked.

I mentioned it to my girlfriend, fully expecting her to say no. Somehow it has gone from flying Saturday and returning Sunday, to now flying Friday night and returning Sunday, with two nights at a hotel. It has become a bit more expensive than I had originally planned! I'm looking forward to it though, a 717 (unless it changes, which I really really hope doesn't happen!), a day in the sun and a nice hotel.

So my booked flights are now:

09/06/17 - LGW-PMI - EasyJet

11/06/17 - PMI-SOU - Volotea

Roll on June!