Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bfitzflyer
Topic Author

Over served cities

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Don't normally like to focus on negatives, but I always see posts that speculate about new service., Like the one right now on Nashville to Europe. On the flip side, what cities are over served with flights. Obviously some of the large hubs. An example I would give is all of a sudden the bay area all 3 airports has service to Europe and 2 of the 3 airports to Asia. I would expect the next down turn that some of these will go, like SFO to TLV and HEL. SJC to FRA and LHR. Thoughts on some other places that are over served.

nadavatar64

Re: Over served cities

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Basically as you have mentioned, alot of larger hubs are over served like ATL, DFW, CLT, FRA, DXB, DOH and I can keep on going. Im not saying some of the airports I have mentioned dont have high O&D pax numbers, but most of the traffic is connecting pax.

Brickell305

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Outside of the major hubs, leisure destinations are often over-served due to airlines receiving revenue guarantees/subsidies to fly to them and also because the routes provide strong mile redemption appeal for frequent fliers.

ilyag

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Not sure why you picked on SFO-TLV. The flight is doing really well, particularly in the front. There is ton of business traffic on the route, loads seem to be very high and I assume yields are also good.

klm617

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Charlotte and Atlanta

cheapgreek

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

klm617 wrote:
Charlotte and Atlanta

Its more about keeping out the competition. ATL has fiercely fought a second ATL airport which is needed and exists in other major cities. Tie up the gates and being the major carrier means they control the fares. Hub airports as a rule have higher fares.

PDX757

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 am

I wouldn't think there aren't many routes being operated that aren't profitable. If defining over served as more service from an airport than could be sustained on o&d alone then I would imagine there are a number of flights from large hubs to secondary markets that wouldn't exist without feed.
Also, every city that is part of EAS. I think it's a great program that helps rural communities, maybe more psychologically than tangibly, but a town of 10,000 people that can't even fill a C208 sounds over served to me.