CaptnSnow71
Topic Author

Best/Worst seats on any airline?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 am

What are the worst seats you've ever had to endure with an airline? What about the best?

As a 6'4" 220lb man, getting good seats is always a struggle. Best seats are a tossup for me. On A LH 747-400 I was seated in 33K, which is near the middle galley and has no seat in front of it, so by default I suppose that wins. Aside from that United's E-175's have really well designed seats with ample legroom, even for a guy my size.

The worst by far has to be United's seats in their 737s. Recently was on a ~5 hour flight with one from ORD to SFO in the middle seat economy, of all places. Spent a lot of time chatting to the FA's in the galley; not sure I could've made the whole flight sitting. The seats are relatively new, and they seem to have made the seat backs as thick as possible. (By comparison, I can fit into Alaska/Delta/Southwest seats on their 73's just fine).

ACDC8

Re: Best/Worst seats on any airline?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:08 am

Speaking strictly pure economy cabins, at 6'3" and 220lbs, its all about the leg room for me. The worst have been Air Transat L1011s and A330s, Air Canada Rouge A319/321s and WestJet B736s. The best are the new retrofitted cabins on WestJet B737/738s.

For long haul, I love the last rows on BAs 744s were the cabin goes 2-4-2, I get a window seat and there is a nice gap between the seat in front of me and the side wall of the cabin so you can stretch out.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

flymia

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 am

Speaking only economy. Worst for recent flights would have to be AA LAA A319. Little legroom, that plastic seat compartment that is useless, might as well fly NK.

Best: I love the B6 ERJ-190. While the 320 has a little bit more leg room the 190 is 2-2 making it great when traveling with someone else. I really hope B6 never gets rid of the extra space. And while not technically Economy, I recently flew in the big front seat on NK on the A321 in row 1 and 2 it was fantastic.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Virtual737

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 am

Worst - Cathay Pacific "shell" economy seat as fitted to a 747 around 2012. No proper recline and paper thin padding made for supreme discomfort..

Best - First Class Apartment on Etihad A380. Have been lucky enough to fly about 10 longhaul segments in them and they are just superb. Was allowed to look over "The Residence" on one of the occasions. It was very nice, but not the step up from the apartment to warrant 1000% of the cost.

PatrickZ80

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 am

Worst: Wizzair A320. Just gave me a cramped feeling.

Best: Norwegian 787. Plenty of legroom even in economy, nice IFE.

maortega15

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Worst - Cathay Pacific "shell" economy seat as fitted to a 747 around 2012. No proper recline and paper thin padding made for supreme discomfort.

They're still on all 773's and select A330's.

But yes, probably the worst I've encountered. I liked it at first, but gave me back issues after a while.

For best seat, I'd probably say CX's First Class seat. Slept pretty well except for the turbulence.