dc10lover
Topic Author

Using Google To Search For Airfares

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:08 pm

It's kind of a fun expirament. All I say is for example "Seattle to San Francisco" and it gives you airfares on a certain day. But you do have to fill in the dates manually. You can say "Seattle to Las Vegas" "Seattle to Boston". It works pretty well. But ask at your hometown to a city you want to fly to. It even compares to flights at nearby airports. But you specifically have to name the airport.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

Cunard

Re: Using Google To Search For Airfares

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Are you trying to inform us of something that is common practice and that the majority of us are totally aware of?

BTW it's EXPERIMENT

legacyins

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 pm

It’s called Google Fight and has been around a couple of years. Nothing new.

BENAir01

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Yeah, Ive been using google flights for about 3 years now... nothing new.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

PatrickZ80

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 am

Google Flights is indeed a very nice utility, but for more professional searches I always use Skyscanner. It just has more options.

andymartin

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Kayak is better

stlgph

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm

I'll throw Hopper into the mix, too.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ojjunior

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Like any other search engine, google flights does not have all the options available if a particular airline has chosen not to appear on their search engines.
That said, gf is nothing more than another search tool that takes you to the airline website to make your purchase.
I particularly like the design / layout of google flights and use often however, never alone. When I find something close to what I want I always check one or two other websites to see if there are more airline options.
Gf's on-screen price tracking tool is very useful, at least in mobile is the easiest to use without having to receive an email.
Really like google flights.

cc47

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm

I personally use Skypicker, also known as Kiwi to search for flights, though I wouldn't book with them. I tend to book on airline's websites as it is generally cheaper.

CaptnSnow71

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 pm

On a somewhat related note, is anyone aware of a flight booking service that allows you to sort by aircraft type? That would be neat.

masgniw

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 pm

CaptnSnow71 wrote:
On a somewhat related note, is anyone aware of a flight booking service that allows you to sort by aircraft type? That would be neat.

Kayak lets you filter by wide- and narrowbodies.

LH658

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:41 am

Google Flights is amazing you can look up multiple airports at same time, for instance don't just type EWR, type EWR, NYC, PHL in the departure section then in the Destination type AMS, BRU it will get you the prices etc. Also you can put DFW tell you places all around world of he price it will cost to fly from DFW to XXX.

flyinggoat

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 am

I generally use Kayak to search, then book on the airline’s website. The annoying thing with Kayak, though, is that even if I filter out airlines, it still shows airlines with flights operated by other airlines. For example, I try to avoid UA, so I can tell Kayak to not look at UA flights. However, I can look at a LH or NZ flight, but the fine print says, “operated by UA”. It’s annoying, and I haven’t found a travel site that filters out the “operated by” flights as well.

PatrickZ80

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 pm

LH658 wrote:
Google Flights is amazing you can look up multiple airports at same time, for instance don't just type EWR, type EWR, NYC, PHL in the departure section then in the Destination type AMS, BRU it will get you the prices etc. Also you can put DFW tell you places all around world of he price it will cost to fly from DFW to XXX.

SkyScanner has a similar function, it's just a checkbox to include airports in the neighbouring area or not. Actually there's two of them, one for the origin and one for the arrival. SkyScanner knows which airports are close to each other, so you don't have to list them manually. Furthermore you can search by country or even search for "everywhere" which allows you to see what destination is the cheapest.

In your case of Dallas - Fort Worth there might not be any interesting options to a certain destination from that airport, but there might be one from Dallas Love Field. If you just check to include nearby airports on departure when you select Dallas - Fort Worth as your departure airport it will automatically include Dallas Love Field since that's in the same area. Alternatively if you don't check it it will only search from the selected airport.

stlgph

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm

flyinggoat wrote:
I generally use Kayak to search, then book on the airline’s website. The annoying thing with Kayak, though, is that even if I filter out airlines, it still shows airlines with flights operated by other airlines. For example, I try to avoid UA, so I can tell Kayak to not look at UA flights. However, I can look at a LH or NZ flight, but the fine print says, “operated by UA”. It’s annoying, and I haven’t found a travel site that filters out the “operated by” flights as well.

That's an annoying practice, in my opinion, airlines have been doing across the board for years with all their partnerships, codeshares, etc.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

teachpdx

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 am

Kayak also has the From: XXX,YYY,ZZZ To: AAA,BBB,CCC which I have used many times. I also love their Explore feature. I use Kayak almost exclusively for searches, but I cross reference with another site or two before I buy.

XAM2175

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 pm

flyinggoat wrote:
For example, I try to avoid UA, so I can tell Kayak to not look at UA flights. However, I can look at a LH or NZ flight, but the fine print says, “operated by UA”. It’s annoying, and I haven’t found a travel site that filters out the “operated by” flights as well.

The new "Extension Codes" control on ITA Matrix lets you do this. Specify "-OPAIRLINES UA" and it will exclude all UA-operated flights regardless of marketing carrier.

If you also want to avoid the United Express carriers you'll need to exclude them too, in the form "-OPAIRLINES UA OO EV ZW" and so on.

sk736

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

For a return flight this Saturday from MAN to LHR, Google Flights says the fare is £372 but go to BA’s website and the very same flights can be had for just £94.

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 pm

sk736 wrote:
For a return flight this Saturday from MAN to LHR, Google Flights says the fare is £372 but go to BA’s website and the very same flights can be had for just £94.

In that case Google Flights found the fare for this flight at some travel agency and will direct you there for booking. Travel agencies are mostly more expensive than tickets directly at the airline, and there's also large differences between various travel agencies.

That's the beauty of SkyScanner. They search through a whole lot of airlines and travel agencies and list the available options. You can easily see what travel agency sells this flight at what fare and then book with the cheapest. Mostly this includes booking directly with the airline too.

Cunard

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:40 am

sk736 wrote:

And it's because of such discrepancies like that I don't use online booking sites as I usually find that the fares are actually cheaper on the airlines official website, I personally haven't used an online booking site for over 15 years and I fly numerous times a year.

It's the same as the online hotel booking site Trivago who state through their advertising that they are cheaper than everyone else where as I generally find Booking.com the same price and usually cheaper than Trivago.

PatrickZ80

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 am

Cunard wrote:
And it's because of such discrepancies like that I don't use online booking sites as I usually find that the fares are actually cheaper on the airlines official website, I personally haven't used an online booking site for over 15 years and I fly numerous times a year.

It's the same as the online hotel booking site Trivago who state through their advertising that they are cheaper than everyone else where as I generally find Booking.com the same price and usually cheaper than Trivago.

I only use them for comparison, see what airline offers the best available options. I don't use them for booking. But that's also the beauty of SkyScanner. SkyScanner isn't a booking site, it's a comparison site. They don't handle the bookings themselves, they only point you towards places you can book. That can be airlines or travel agencies. Mostly the airline itself is listed as one of the booking options, but if it isn't I always look it up as well.

As an example, I've let SkyScanner run a search for flights between Eindhoven and Los Angeles. SkyScanner then searches about 15 other websites for their options and fares on this route. Most will only show KLM through Amsterdam (using the KLM bus between Eindhoven and Amsterdam) with various fares. You see those fares drop as the search is running and cheaper options are being found. One of them is more creative and makes a match of Transavia and Norwegian which is mostly a lot cheaper than KLM. But for this result SkyScanner only points you in the direction of that booking website. What turns out to be? If you look up the fares for those flights at both Transavia and Norwegian and you add them together it becomes even more cheap.