Heinkel
Topic Author

How to fly from Germany to Australia (SYD)

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Compared with other a-netters I'm not a frequent flyer but I enjoy flying and aviation very much.

In November 2018 my wife and I want to fly from Germany to Australia for vacation. We've never been there before. Our closest airport for departure here is Hanover (HAJ) but FRA, TGL or TXL would be fine, too. Preferred destination in Australia would be SYD.

We want to fly in J and the preferred a/c is an A380, at least for most of the distance. We don't need champagne or caviar but we want a full flat bed. The QANTAS Skybed looks just fine to me. LH is too expensive in J. I have to pay the bill myself.

So my question to the more experienced long-haul travellers is, what are your suggestions for such a journey? Which route and which airline would you prefer?

IPFreely

Re: How to fly from Germany to Australia (SYD)

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Sounds like a journey that will be made on Emirates or one of the other ME3 airlines. But if LH business class is too expensive most any A380 lie-flat bed will be too expensive, too.

Varsity1

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:16 pm

I don't see the point of paying for J on a vacation trip like that.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

LTU932

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

If I was you, I'd forget about HAJ and go to HAM instead, take the afternoon EK flight to DXB and then connect to Australia. Sure, it's a 77W out of HAM and then an A380 out of DXB, but I don't think it's that bad.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

dredgy

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

It’s a lifesaver having a bed from Europe to Australia and easily justifiable on a leisure trip. Jet lag will knock most people around for at least a day or two.

To OP - Lufthansa is usually the cheapest option with A380s, though you can look at Qatar, Emirates and Etihad - occasionally good deals do pop up (though booking now, around Christmas,
Is probably not the best time). Qantas is rarely the cheapest option, though if you book through Finnair, some good value (non A380) flights pop ip.

It might be cheaper to get a flight into a different airport - PER, ADL, BNE, MEL etc and then tag on a domestic flight with a different ticket. PER would usually be the cheapest to get to from Europe, but to get to SYD is very expensive in J and it’s time consuming. Though a few days in Perth is certainly not a bad thing.

If you can let go of the A380, I usually find LH group - Swiss, Austrian - to offer the best fares, and sometimes these flights will be operated by Qantas. Avoid Thai Airways to SYD (horrible old 747), but they’re fine to BNE. BNE is probably the best m (most comfortable) airport to arrive in and a few days in Brisbane/Gold Coast might be a great addition to your trip.

Air India (very) occasionally has good deals via DEL which might be a viable alternative to the midEast. DEL is not a great place to transfer, and Air India’s 787 is comfy enough, but you’ll lack a full business class level service. LH offer an A380 to DEL though I don’t think the timing works out without an overnight.

And finally another option is to book flights to KUL or SIN. Will be cheaper, especially via Middle East and AirAsia and Scoot offer cheap “business class” seats to OOL and SYD. AirAsia has beds, but that’s about it.

Long story short: put “FRA, HAJ, TXL to SYD” into a booking engine and book the cheapest one. Which seems to be Vietnam Airlines :p

debonair

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:23 pm

From nearby AMS you will find sometimes good deals with Chinese carrier, like China Southern, China airlines, Xiamen Air etc.

LH658

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 am

FRA to SIN on LH and SQ both offer A380, then SIN to SYD on SQ A380.

FRA to BKK on Thai A380, then BKK to SYD on Thai 747 I think.

SIN and BKK are nice airports, especially SIN.

You can fly EK then transfer upon to Qantas or EK from DXB those are all A380 all the way.

I recommend all of these options, my favorite is probably Singapore Airlines, pure quality product, SIN is a very nice airport. Though EK has bar on board if you like to get up stretch grab drink/snack etc chat with others. All business class listed above is 1-2-1 seating, accept for Lufthansa which is 2-2-2. Thai from FRA to BKK is A380 then BKK to SYD 747, which is nice if you want to fly the 747 again, as many airlines are retiring them.

There is also A380 from AUH to SYD on EY or QR DOH to SYD, but first leg from FRA would most likely be 787, A330, or A350.

LTU932

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 am

debonair wrote:
From nearby AMS you will find sometimes good deals with Chinese carrier, like China Southern, China airlines, Xiamen Air etc.
But then you'd have to make sure you fly to one of the airports that allow the 72 hr transit without visa, but that should be easy as long as you fly to e.g. PEK or maybe PVG. Coming from near HAJ, I still insist EK via HAM is the most convenient airline in that case, unless you want to make detours like via LHR on the Kangaroo route or what you suggested, via China.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

OlafW

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm

One Option I took several years ago is OZ via ICN. You'll have a lengthy layover of 8 hours or so, but Asiana has a stopover program or activities included in the flight price which you could use to both overcome the time and - in parts - the jet lag. FRA-ICN is an A380 by now and I suspect will be y the time you want to travel. I am not sure however about the ICN-SYD sector. When I took the flight five years ago, it was a 747 with angled flat seats. I didn't enjoy them too much, but maybe there's something better on that route now. Price as I looked up now would be around 3,000€ which seems like a deal to me given the distance (which might even get close you a Diamond status on Asiana Club - which equals to Star Gold

Heinkel
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for the many suggestions. Interesting to read, that LH is not so expensive anymore. When I checked two years ago, LH fare was twice the fare of QANTAS.

And LH offers the B748i on some routes. I prefer the A380 but it would be interesting to fly with the A380 and the B748i both on such a long-haul trip (Outbound A380, inbound B748i?).

I'm willing and able to pay for J. I don't want to travel to Oz in cattle class. I'm 60 years old and I'm no longer a backpacker or camper. I want a bed in the sky. My wife, too.

Thanks again for the help.

LH658

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:47 pm

FRA to SIN on LH and SQ both offer A380, then SIN to SYD on SQ A380.

FRA to BKK on Thai A380, then BKK to SYD on Thai 747 I think.

SIN and BKK are nice airports, especially SIN.

You can fly EK then transfer upon to Qantas or EK from DXB those are all A380 all the way.

I recommend all of these options, my favorite is probably Singapore Airlines, pure quality product, SIN is a very nice airport. Though EK has bar on board if you like to get up stretch grab drink/snack etc chat with others. All business class listed above is 1-2-1 seating, accept for Lufthansa which is 2-2-2. Thai from FRA to BKK is A380 then BKK to SYD 747, which is nice if you want to fly the 747 again, as many airlines are retiring them.

There is also A380 from AUH to SYD on EY or QR DOH to SYD, but first leg from FRA would most likely be 787, A330, or A350.

jumpjets

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Another option would be a short hop to LHR and then either SQ or QF all the way on their A380 [by next November QF2 will be routing via SIN], so you could potentially do the LHR-SIN leg on the A380 with either BA, QF or SIN. The BA SIN-SYD leg is on 773.

BreninTW

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 am

OlafW wrote:
One Option I took several years ago is OZ via ICN. You'll have a lengthy layover of 8 hours or so, but Asiana has a stopover program or activities included in the flight price which you could use to both overcome the time and - in parts - the jet lag. FRA-ICN is an A380 by now and I suspect will be y the time you want to travel. I am not sure however about the ICN-SYD sector. When I took the flight five years ago, it was a 747 with angled flat seats. I didn't enjoy them too much, but maybe there's something better on that route now. Price as I looked up now would be around 3,000€ which seems like a deal to me given the distance (which might even get close you a Diamond status on Asiana Club - which equals to Star Gold

I recently flew the OZ A380 ICN-FRA and it was perfectly acceptable (in Y) -- although the seats were somewhat rock-like after 15 hours in them (three-hour delay in ICN followed by the flight). The service was adequate, although it was sometimes a little wooden and difficult to understand.

ICN airport is not a bad stopover point, but I found it confusing to navigate around it (especially with their unusual way of handling transfers AFTER security).

Flying via HKG may be an option as well.

AmbroseRPM

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi, and I hope you enjoy Sydney and Australia as a whole.

I was looking from FRA and China Airlines through TPE are reasonably priced, but don't use the A380 (you'd be on a B777 and then a A359). Korean Air is also good through ICN. Your best bet is likely EK through DXB. That would surely find at least one A380- on the DXB to SYD leg.

Best of luck!

Heinkel
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:21 pm

AmbroseRPM wrote:

Thank you.

Our aim is to visit a friend at Broken Hill (NSW). So SYD is only the first step. May be some inner-Australian flights will follow.

Until now my longest flights were TXL-PEK (nonstop A330 Hainan Airlines) and HAJ-BKK (outbound B777 Turkish Airlines, inbound A380 Thai Airways). All in J with a full flat seat (employer paid...). So I know the comfort of a bed in the sky and I don't want to miss it on such a long haul flight. Even when I have to pay it for me and my wife from my own money.

I'm eager and enthusiastic to see Oz.

Gemuser

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:45 am

Heinkel wrote:
AmbroseRPM wrote:

Thank you.

Our aim is to visit a friend at Broken Hill (NSW). So SYD is only the first step. May be some inner-Australian flights will follow.

Until now my longest flights were TXL-PEK (nonstop A330 Hainan Airlines) and HAJ-BKK (outbound B777 Turkish Airlines, inbound A380 Thai Airways). All in J with a full flat seat (employer paid...). So I know the comfort of a bed in the sky and I don't want to miss it on such a long haul flight. Even when I have to pay it for me and my wife from my own money.

I'm eager and enthusiastic to see Oz.

If your primary destination is Broken Hill check out flights to Adelaide [ADL], its much closer to BH although that doesn't mean it'll be cheaper. If it interests you you can get a train from ADL to BH on a Sunday @ 10:15 arriving that evening. Its an interesting different trip.

Gemuser

bgm

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:00 am

Varsity1 wrote:

Well, it's a good thing it's not you going on this trip, isn't it? :sarcastic:

To the OP, flying J makes the journey so much easier - it's a long way no matter how you break it up.The 3 Gulf carriers all fly to SYD and have pretty decent products and service. I really like QR, but that's a personal preference. Next month, they usually have decent fare sales (along with the other airlines) so you may want to hold off booking until then. OZ/KE are also very good. I haven't flown LH J for a few years but I believe they are all lie-flat seats now (they used to be these sloping seats that were very uncomfortable to sleep in). The A380 is a great plane, very quiet, but the 748 is quite rare so might be fun to get a flight on one of those.

Australia is amazing,you'll love it! :)
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Heinkel
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Finally I've booked the flight. Thanks for your many good suggestions.

I've booked Singapore Airlines in J.

First leg SQ 337 DUS - SIN on an A359. 14 hours stopover at SIN for a short sightseeing tour (my wife didn't want a longer stop over) and then SQ 221 SIN - SYD on an A380. Return the same way but with only a 2 1/2 hour stop over at SIN.

Departing from DUS means, that we can fly the new A359. DUS is not too far away from us, we'll go there by high speed train. So we'll have two interesting a/c on one trip.

I think my wife and I will have a pleasant flight. The only drawback is, that you can't sit side by side with your spouse in a 1-2-1 configuration, if you want to have a window seat. Wife or window? The window has the clear priority...

LH658

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 am

You can in 2 seat portion, but there console in middle blocks you. Not like Qatar 777w Q suite. Anyway Singapore is fantastic airlines, wish you nice trip.

infinit

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:47 am

Heinkel wrote:
Finally I've booked the flight. Thanks for your many good suggestions.

I've booked Singapore Airlines in J.

First leg SQ 337 DUS - SIN on an A359. 14 hours stopover at SIN for a short sightseeing tour (my wife didn't want a longer stop over) and then SQ 221 SIN - SYD on an A380. Return the same way but with only a 2 1/2 hour stop over at SIN.

Departing from DUS means, that we can fly the new A359. DUS is not too far away from us, we'll go there by high speed train. So we'll have two interesting a/c on one trip.

I think my wife and I will have a pleasant flight. The only drawback is, that you can't sit side by side with your spouse in a 1-2-1 configuration, if you want to have a window seat. Wife or window? The window has the clear priority...

I was about to suggest SQ as they have competitive prices to/from Australia and are otherwise very expensive on other routes. SQ is to me still the gold standard.
In J Class the on-board menus are good but you might want to check out their pre-order Book the Cook menu. You can find reviews in the SQTalk forum, under "Catering".

A 14-hour layover in Singapore sounds good for a quick glimpse of the country!
There is a free shuttle of sorts that Changi Airport provides.
Not sure where it goes but I'd recommend a quick stop by districts like Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street and the old Civic District- http://www.visitsingapore.com/see-do-si ... -district/

On your way back with a 2-hour stopover, I'd recommend visiting the Butterfly Garden- http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport ... trail.html

xwb777

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm

If you want to fly the A380, your best option is Emirates.

You can book a seat on EK046, an afternoon (14:30) departure from Frankfurt. you will arrive at DXB at 23:45. Then you will connect to EK414 which departs at 01:55 and arrives at Sydney at 22:30. Connection time at DXB is 2:10. The whole journey will be onboard the A380