Eirules
Topic Author

Advice on transatlantic J

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:30 am

Hi all

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve flown to NYC in J a number of times, predominantly with AA / BA as im oneworld sapphire. I’ve had some disappointing experiences recently with BA however so given VS have excellent sale fares ex DUB at the moment I decided to give them a try to BOS. But now I’m looking to book to NYC and most of the airlines flying the route are similar prices. Based on below what are your suggestions

AA via PHL to LGA. a330 to PHL and clear customs in DUB

VS to JFK. A330 but no preclearance

AC via YYZ to LGA. A330 to YYZ and clear in YYZ

DL direct 764. Clear customs in DUB

BA 777 to EWR. No preclearance

I understand there are other options but these are the ones around the same price. I’m not concerned about the return overnight flight, just the outbound. Are DL, VS, AC significantly better than AA / BA for me to give up on my oneworld sapphire?

Thanks
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Eitilt

Re: Advice on transatlantic J

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 am

With a name like EI rules have you considered Aer Lingus with 3 flights a day to New York and Avios points,
Seems a lot less hassle.

gilesdavies

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am

Let me throw in a curve ball...

How about Singapore Airlines A350 - Manchester to Houston.

Eirules
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 am

As I said in my original post, lots of other options but at higher prices. Therefore Aer Lingus are out.

As for SQ to Houston, I’m flying to NYC so DUB-MAN-HOU-NYC is a definite no

trijetsonly

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:07 pm

But there are usually good prices on the SQ FRA-JFK flight. Going via FRA shouldn't be too bad.
Happy Landings

jetwet1

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:28 pm

To answer your question. ..Better than AA J not really, better than BA J yes...

DL is consistent, in much the same way as AA, very rarely will you sat wow, but equally rarely will you be disappointed.

VS, IMHO when they are on their game, they are very hard to beat, the problem is, when they are not on their game, well lets say they make BA look good.

If it was me, I would stick with AA on the 77W .

BENAir01

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Yeah, I think AA is probably the way to go.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

PI4EVER

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Your routing on AA is only via PHL right? The fare would be higher for the nonstop 77W to JFK?
The AA product on the 330 is very good and PHL is a relatively easy airport to transit in. If you connection is to an AA Eagle flight on a regional jet you'll walk or bus from Terminal A to F. You can walk it and may enjoy the stroll after sitting on the plane, but give yourself at least 20+ minutes to walk the distance.
My only concern for the LGA connection is time of year you're traveling. ATC and flight delays are common in winter due to weather issues affecting the Northeast corridor for flights to/from PHL and LGA/NYC airports.
I still say the AA service is very good, and the route via PHL a bit off the beaten path and a new travel experience for you.
watch what you want. you may get it.

debonair

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Transatlantic J - for me a no brainer, EK A380 ex MXP.
MXP is offering passengers with self connection ex MXP free travel insurance, Fast Track etc.; full details: http://www.flyviamilano.eu/en/

theobcman

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:56 pm

DL / VS / AC are no way better ! I would definitely not give up on your OW Sapphire and would carry on with AA/BA. With the new roll out of catering / trolley service and bedding on BA > JFK they are getting back into the game ! BA Club World (despite peoples grumbles) I think is a lovely way to fly now. AA 77W also very consistent and enjoyable !

Eirules
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:01 pm

So I’ve pretty much decided on AA. I want to keep my oneworld sapphire and I don’t think DL / AC are so much better for one flight to justify losing it. I just need to decide if it’s the A330 via PHL getting in about 5pm or if the direct flight on the aging 757 will suffice

aeromoe

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Eirules wrote:
So I’ve pretty much decided on AA. I want to keep my oneworld sapphire and I don’t think DL / AC are so much better for one flight to justify losing it. I just need to decide if it’s the A330 via PHL getting in about 5pm or if the direct flight on the aging 757 will suffice

Just my opinion but I would go with the A330. 757s are cool but "boring" to me.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

LH658

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:18 am

Aer Lingus, AC, and VS good on board product.