skyharborshome
Topic Author

Listening to your own flight ATC

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm

I know United used to allow you to listen to ATC communication of your flight. Does anyone else listen to your own flight on apps like LiveATC?

I am listening in on my flight which is DL1772 Heavy (A333) and the captain cancels take off clearance because he is “checking out something”. Gives a bit of different feeling especially when everyone else is blissfully unaware. In the end no explanation and we are on our way.
Fly CHD!

mikejepp

Re: Listening to your own flight ATC

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Thats exactly why live ATC audio isn't much of a thing on airliners.

There is a lot of chatter back and forth about stuff the passengers don't need to know about and don't understand. That passengers could blow out of proportion and cause a problem over. Blissfully unaware is the way airlines want it to be. Especially now that everyone is quick to post on social media, call the news, file a lawsuit, etc.

m0ssy

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 pm

I've always enjoyed using liveatc on my flights. Of course there are limitations. The wifi being shut off during approach for one, but I listen religiously while on the ground. :)

LOWS

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:18 pm

m0ssy wrote:
I've always enjoyed using liveatc on my flights. Of course there are limitations. The wifi being shut off during approach for one, but I listen religiously while on the ground. :)

By the time you're on approach, or at least final, couldn't you turn the cellular data back on?

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 pm

mikejepp wrote:
Blissfully unaware is the way airlines want it to be.

Going back in time (pre-internet) I would often check the status of the incoming aircraft scheduled to provide my outgoing flight. Noting that the inbound a/c was four hours late, I would then approach the desk and ask them if they anticipated any delay to my outbound flight, only to find that either they knew nothing, or were unwilling to comment.

Rule#1; Always keep the passengers in the dark, and whatever you do, don't tell them how bad it really is. :hissyfit:
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

m0ssy

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 pm

LOWS wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

By the time you're on approach, or at least final, couldn't you turn the cellular data back on?

I've had varied results trying this. I wondered if the altitude/speed of aircraft makes it difficult to get a strong signal.

MO11

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:57 am

m0ssy wrote:
LOWS wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

I've had varied results trying this. I wondered if the altitude/speed of aircraft makes it difficult to get a strong signal.

Must be "airplane mode" ....

FlyingJhawk

Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:08 am

I listen to LiveATC while on the ground but sometimes the delay makes it a little less useful.

Runway28L

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:49 am

For my flight on B6 this past summer, I was able to listen to the LiveATC app and use FR24 while we were on approach to BOS. I don't remember if I was on cellular data or the plane's WiFi.

There was barely any delay on the audio which surprised me. I remember hearing our call sign "JetBlue ####, turn right heading 120" and not even 5 seconds later, we were banking right for approach. :D
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

stlgph

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:58 pm

MO11 wrote:
m0ssy wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Must be "airplane mode" ....

Good luck with that, sunshine.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

stlgph

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 pm

m0ssy wrote:
LOWS wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

Same here. Depending on where I'm flying into it works pretty good, or not at all. Coming into MDW from about 5 minutes out until landing I had it work all the way, coming into JFK a few weeks ago, it worked for a bit, then went out, until about 3 minutes to wheels down then came back, and then flying into LGA last week, nothing at all until we came off the runway.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport