F27500
Topic Author

SXM Sunset Beach Bar & Maho Beach .. Status

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Just curious if anyone knows the status of this spot on St. Maarten after the hurricane damage.

I heard from someone that much of the beach was washed away, so I'm also curious about the Sunset Beach Bar. It was a pretty rickety structure when I was there, so I'd imagine it didn't fare so well in the storm.

Anyone have any info or pics ? I spent a great afternoon there last year, so I'm hoping for the best.

(Hopefully a few people see this before the topic gets moved to Siberia (Polls & Preferences) where it won't be seen at all! ;) )

cedarjet

Re: SXM Sunset Beach Bar & Maho Beach .. Status

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:22 pm

I don’t have any answers about the Sunset but I’m going to Guadaloupe in March to find the wrecks of the two Air France 707s that crashed there six years and a few miles apart, with 48h in SXM. First thing I learned is that the Sonesta is closed til August at the earliest, so that’s a bit of a blow. Fingers x’d for the Sunset, I’ve been twice before but first time for my buddy.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

F27500
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:25 pm

cedarjet wrote:
I don’t have any answers about the Sunset but I’m going to Guadaloupe in March to find the wrecks of the two Air France 707s that crashed there six years and a few miles apart, with 48h in SXM. First thing I learned is that the Sonesta is closed til August at the earliest, so that’s a bit of a blow. Fingers x’d for the Sunset, I’ve been twice before but first time for my buddy.

Sounds like an amazing trip you're going on .. pls post on what u find in both SXM and PTP .. wow I never heard of those crashes -- I have to read up on them.

kgaiflyer

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 pm

I've noticed on Flightaware that KLM, AF, and Air Caribes are back. KLM 789 now follows the route of the old 744s AMS-SMX-CUR-AMS. AF appears to overnight at SMX and fly back the next day.

OA260

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:29 pm

This was filmed in November :

https://youtu.be/VDoaPlKHAXw

F27500
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 pm

OA260 wrote:
This was filmed in November :

https://youtu.be/VDoaPlKHAXw

Wow -- thanks for posting ! Yikes .. that beach is just gone. The bar definitely doesn't look open for business but at least still standing.

holcakker

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Another one from last week. At least the beach is not only rocks now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-ejyZBKwQ

deltaffindfw

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:47 pm

According to their FB page, they are open. Beach is looking better. See the post from yesterday titled "Return of Tourism".

https://www.facebook.com/SunsetBeachBar ... 0998632628

enilria

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:50 pm

They are rebuilding the beach or it is naturally returning?

PatrickZ80

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Another difference between the two movies is the tide. The first one (with only rocks visible) was filmed at high tide, the second one with a bit of beach visible at low tide. Just like everything else on the island the bar had been damaged but has since been repaired.

spacecadet

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:32 am

The beach is being/has been repaired. (I'm not sure if it's done yet.) It's not a naturally occurring beach IIRC.

What I'm seeing in that second video is pretty close to how it looked the last time I was there. There were always some rocks by the Sunset, although there are more visible than there used to be. Hopefully they're still filling that in. But it looks like a usable beach as it is.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

F27500
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:44 pm

See what happens when they move a topic to Polls & Preferences? No one comes in here.

dfwjim1

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 pm

A bit off topic but how did the upscale shopping center northwest of SMX near the ocean fare? I visited St.Martin a few years ago and the wife and I really liked the shopping center.

dfwjim1

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm

A bit off topic but how did the upscale shopping center northwest of SMX near the ocean fare? I visited St.Martin a few years ago and the wife and I really liked the shopping center.