LH658
Topic Author

Question about Air New Zealand

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:11 am

Need to buy a ticket from MEL to AKL. I have flight from AKL to SFO at 7:45pm, flight I am planning book from MEL arrives in AKL at 5:45pm. Is 2 hours enough time to clear Aussie immigration? My First time traveling down south! Thanks guys.

moo

Re: Question about Air New Zealand

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:27 am

What nationality are you?

LH658
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 am

moo wrote:

I have US passport, I will be transiting in AKL to SFO (MEL-AKL-SFO). Whole sector will be Air New Zealand.

moo

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:44 am

LH658 wrote:
moo wrote:

I have US passport, I will be transiting in AKL to SFO (MEL-AKL-SFO). Whole sector will be Air New Zealand.

Unless I am mistaken, you don't clear Australian immigration at any point - New Zealand is an entirely different country. You shouldnt go through immigration at MEL, just security, as you are an outbound flight.

In any case, you will not be required to go through immigration or customs at Auckland, you go through a security check and on into the International departures lounge. Security at Auckland is very good, its never taken me more than 15 minutes to go through it.

LH658
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:05 am

moo wrote:
LH658 wrote:
moo wrote:

Unless I am mistaken, you don't clear Australian immigration at any point - New Zealand is an entirely different country. You shouldnt go through immigration at MEL, just security, as you are an outbound flight.

In any case, you will not be required to go through immigration or customs at Auckland, you go through a security check and on into the International departures lounge. Security at Auckland is very good, its never taken me more than 15 minutes to go through it.

Thanks

Cunard

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:09 am

Have you watched the TV programme 'Nothing to declare'?

It's about Australian and New Zealand customs and immigration and the officers are often seen on the show picking out certain individuals especially from minority backgrounds and who are often traveling alone, some can be really intimidating and are often down right arrogant, I've personally seen it for myself but I'm just saying be aware it's like a different mindset down under :-)

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 am

Cunard wrote:
Have you watched the TV programme 'Nothing to declare'?

It's about Australian and New Zealand customs and immigration and the officers are often seen on the show picking out certain individuals especially from minority backgrounds and who are often traveling alone, some can be really intimidating and are often down right arrogant, I've personally seen it for myself but I'm just saying be aware it's like a different mindset down under :-)

Hahaha happens to me everywhere I go, even in train station in Europe I been pulled aside, questioned.

melpax

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 am

As others have said, departing MEL is fairly painless, you have the usual security check when entering the passport control area after check-in. Even though the queue might appear long, the screening process is much quicker than the TSA... Passport control is also painless as it's now automated, and you no longer have to complete a departure card when leaving. No customs checks when departing as well. 2 hours is plenty to allow for check-in to gate. Your checked bags should be checked thru to SFO when checking in at Melbourne. As others have said, transiting at AKL is straight forward, you don't clear immigration & customs, screening at the transfers area is quick & painless.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 am

melpax wrote:
As others have said, departing MEL is fairly painless, you have the usual security check when entering the passport control area after check-in. Even though the queue might appear long, the screening process is much quicker than the TSA... Passport control is also painless as it's now automated, and you no longer have to complete a departure card when leaving. No customs checks when departing as well. 2 hours is plenty to allow for check-in to gate. Your checked bags should be checked thru to SFO when checking in at Melbourne. As others have said, transiting at AKL is straight forward, you don't clear immigration & customs, screening at the transfers area is quick & painless.

MEL to AKL, I booked with Qantas, I wanted fly all 3 carriers on this trip. I booked with Virgin Australia, NZ, and now Qantas. I have 3 hour connection in AKL, does anyone know will Qantas check my bags thru NZ? So I don't have to pick them up from baggage claim. Yes both are separate reservation.

melpax

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:40 am

If both legs are on different tickets, you might not be able to check your bags straight to SFO, but 3 hours should be plenty if you do have to clear customs & immigration & recheck at AKL
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 am

melpax wrote:
If both legs are on different tickets, you might not be able to check your bags straight to SFO, but 3 hours should be plenty if you do have to clear customs & immigration & recheck at AKL

Hope they can, if not no biggie, excited to try all 3 Oceania carriers plus Latam AKL to SYD flight!

HAJflyer99

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:15 pm

Having an international passport other than Australian or NZ can be a real pain at the biosecurity screening line at AKL at certain times of the day. While immigration into NZ is not as strict as into the US, they do take their customs and biosecurity VERY seriously in New Zealand. However with an US passport you might be able to use the electronic passport gates, that could save some time.
A few weeks ago it took me almost 2 hours to get through biosecurity (plus 30min at immigration) in the afternoon, after coming into AKL from SYD.

So if you will have to clear customs and recheck your bag I would try to get a seat somewhere upfront, so you don't need as long to get off the plane from MEL.