Cush
Topic Author

Important Question: Ticketing from Domestic US flight to International Flight

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:01 pm

I have a question for you fellow A.netters, and would like to get some opinions.

Prior to the past two years, I was flying abroad (to/from Europe) a few times a year, but since then, my trips have only been domestic.

My wife left this morning to fly from Pittsburgh to JFK, and then onward to Russia. Her flight from PIT-JFK was on Delta, and then the JFK to Moscow segment is on Aeroflot.

We checked in online, and printed out her boarding passes for all of the flights. At the airport, we printed them again, and she left on her way. The flight from PIT-JFK was no problem, but at JFK, they refused to allow her through security because "Her Aeroflot ticket was on Delta paperstock". She waited and approached a new TSA agent and again was turned away from going through security because they said she wasn't allowed to enter since the ticket was printed on Delta paper.... So, instead of going to the lounge we paid for and relaxing before the flight, she had to sit for 4 hours on a bench until Aeroflot ticketing opened, and they printed her a new ticket on Aeroflot paper.

She even downloaded the Aeroflot app, and tried to present her electronic boarding pass, but they wouldn't accept that either.

I called TSA and filed a complaint, and they told me there is no reason she shouldn't have been let through. As long as you have a valid ticket (regardless of the paperstock it is on), and photo identification, you shouldn't be denied entry to the sterile area.

I remember on all of my trips to europe, I would typically fly United from PIT-IAD or PIT-EWR, and from there take Lufthansa or Swiss to the final destination. All of my tickets were printed on United paperstock, and i never had a single issue like this.

Does anyone have any idea why something like this happened? If it was one TSA agent, i'd maybe understand their ignorance, but when this happened twice with two different people, it makes me wonder... I mean, terminal 1 at JFK is all international flights, so it's not like this is something new. How can you be denied entry for your flight when you have a ticket?

Thanks for your insight.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

jetblueguy22

Re: Important Question: Ticketing from Domestic US flight to International Flight

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:23 am

Sounds like the TSA agents didn't have a clue what they were doing. With that logic nobody should be able to fly Skywest or Endeavor with a Delta ticket either...
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club