N5814D
Topic Author

UA's "basic" economy fare routes

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:25 am

So, later this month, I'll be doing KOKC-KIAH-KORD-KCKB using this "NEWER" version of UAL's fare structure. The reason I post this here, and not the trip report section(which it could likely wind up in..), is, I was wondering if there would be any interest in such a report at all? If need be this post could be relocated to the aforementioned forum, or deleted all together; I'm just testing the waters as per the interest in my booking misstep.

drerx7

Re: UA's "basic" economy fare routes

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 am

Its terrible. ..I was upgraded last month from ORD to DFW... my wife's ticket was in the basic economy for $40. I let her take my first class seat and I took hers...absolutely miserable. It was like 3 different flights on that 739... with me being in the Spirit section. Experience was pretty low brow.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

N5814D
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:41 am

Oh boy, THIS WILL BE FUN...

jetmatt777

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 am

drerx7 wrote:
Its terrible. ..I was upgraded last month from ORD to DFW... my wife's ticket was in the basic economy for $40. I let her take my first class seat and I took hers...absolutely miserable. It was like 3 different flights on that 739... with me being in the Spirit section. Experience was pretty low brow.

There's absolutely no difference in the onboard product between Basic Economy and Economy. I've bought several BE tickets and have been satisfied.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

drerx7

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 am

Didn't say service was different. .. I'm talking passengers... the flight crew wasn't all that great on this flight either though. The crowd wasn't different than what you'd find on a NK flight. .. take that how you will.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 am

drerx7 wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
Didn't say service was different. .. I'm talking passengers... the flight crew wasn't all that great on this flight either though. The crowd wasn't different than what you'd find on a NK flight. .. take that how you will.

How would you know if they purchased a basic economy fare or a standard economy fare? Passengers are passengers. As of yet, there's absolutely no difference between basic economy and economy, apart from the inability to bring a carry on, and limited ticket flexibility. That's it. Same passengers, same flight crew, same seats, same service. It isn't bringing in some "lower class" of passengers that didn't previously fly when the fare difference is all of $50 on most routes, and you aren't relegated to a special "scum class" section on the airplane. It's all 100% the same, apart from the inflexibility on your ticket.

jetmatt777

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 am

atcsundevil wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

How would you know if they purchased a basic economy fare or a standard economy fare? Passengers are passengers. As of yet, there's absolutely no difference between basic economy and economy, apart from the inability to bring a carry on, and limited ticket flexibility. That's it. Same passengers, same flight crew, same seats, same service. It isn't bringing in some "lower class" of passengers that didn't previously fly when the fare difference is all of $50 on most routes, and you aren't relegated to a special "scum class" section on the airplane. It's all 100% the same, apart from the inflexibility on your ticket.

I commute for work and I buy my fair share of Basic Economy tickets to get to/from work and find the fares are reasonable, a guaranteed seat (as opposed to standing by and sweating getting on) is nice, service is good, and haven't noticed any change for the worse in passenger mix.

If you have the United MileagePlus Chase Credit Card, you get group 2 boarding and standard carry on allowances even in Basic Economy, which is a fantastic deal.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ericm2031

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 am

A lot of times BE ends up getting Econ Plus as those aren't always purchased and are all that is left to assign. And once you get Econ Plus on the first segment, it usually gives it to you on your remaining flights, many times in the Exit Row.

It's great for those who don't need to carry-on (or can check it instead), don't care about where they seat, and don't need to change their ticket. For most people this works totally fine and is worth the difference in fare...which is exactly its intended purpose...to go after those who are deflecting to ULCC's to save a little as they don't need any "extras"

I still can't get over the fact that people purchase Basic Economy and then blame the airline for what they are/aren't getting as if they were forced to purchase it

drerx7

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:02 am

atcsundevil wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

You actually know from the boarding group. Can't agree with you on this one...when the fare was only $41 all in...it actually is bringing in passengers that did not previously fly. On this flight there was an inordinate amount of first time/inexperienced fliers. The flight crew spent an inordinate amount of time ordering people to sit down and refrain from switching seats/going to the lavs/going to overhead bin...before take-off...during pushback...during taxi...on final approach...and taxi to gate. None of that is an embellishment. We can debate semantics and talk about what it is supposed to be, but this flight I took was 3 steps short of bedlam. For $41 I did not complain on the flight at all. I did not say the passengers were scum either for the record. Hard product is 100% the same...Soft product is supposed to be 100% the same; but when you inherit a flight crew that's tasked with policing the cabin more than servicing it...attitudes run thin...so NO...the service was not the same; at least not on this flight.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Super80Fan

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:16 am

What I don't get with these basic economy fares is what's the issue with allowing you to book your seat in advance for a fee a la Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant?
RIP McDonnell Douglas

33lspotter

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:02 am

Super80Fan wrote:
What I don't get with these basic economy fares is what's the issue with allowing you to book your seat in advance for a fee a la Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant?

Agreed. This right here is the UA/AA/DL Basic Economy dealbreaker for me -- if I was able, I would happily pay the extra to reserve a window seat, but there is no such option. I'm fine with the baggage limits/etc. of the class, and I get that the end game is to get you to pay more for normal economy, but -- rather than paying for a number of things I don't need in normal economy -- I end up not flying UA at all: since a business trip last spring on UA, I've flown 90% of my domestic flights on B6, where seats can be reserved (and they have free wifi/TV/etc., all things UA charges for).
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388

jnev3289

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
A lot of times BE ends up getting Econ Plus as those aren't always purchased and are all that is left to assign. And once you get Econ Plus on the first segment, it usually gives it to you on your remaining flights, many times in the Exit Row.

It's great for those who don't need to carry-on (or can check it instead), don't care about where they seat, and don't need to change their ticket. For most people this works totally fine and is worth the difference in fare...which is exactly its intended purpose...to go after those who are deflecting to ULCC's to save a little as they don't need any "extras"

I still can't get over the fact that people purchase Basic Economy and then blame the airline for what they are/aren't getting as if they were forced to purchase it

This happened to me and my wife on our return home from Christmas LAX-BWI on a 739. At check-in we were assigned 9D and 9C in E+ and then after they had to move around seats even more we actually both ended up getting unofficially moved into First Class. Quite the bargain for a $438 RT price tag

glbltrvlr

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Not sure how prevalent this is, but I think UA still has some work with BE pricing. I was looking at an ORD-GRR leg the other day, part of an international flight late next year and the BE fare was $1 more than the regular economy fare for that segment. Most of the BE fares I've seen are not nearly discounted enough to make me even consider them, especially with no MP accruals.

glbltrvlr

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm

33lspotter wrote:
This right here is the UA/AA/DL Basic Economy dealbreaker for me -- if I was able, I would happily pay the extra to reserve a window seat, but there is no such option. I'm fine with the baggage limits/etc. of the class, and I get that the end game is to get you to pay more for normal economy...

But that's UAs whole point, isn't it? Create a fare that can be advertised as equal to the ULCCs, but make it annoying enough that the majority of passengers pay for the next bucket up.

LH658

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 am

I flew in Basic Economy one time, I got a aisle, both segment. I even put my backpack in the overhead bin, even though your not suppose too.

glbltrvlr

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 am

LH658 wrote:
I flew in Basic Economy one time, I got a aisle, both segment. I even put my backpack in the overhead bin, even though your not suppose too.

Enforcement of the rule is at the jetway, by boarding group and the gate agent, not the FAs. Theoretically, if your carry on will fit under the seat and you find room to stuff it overhead, there's no problem. FAs aren't looking at your boarding pass to see if you are in group 5, or just boarded late, if they notice at all.

33lspotter

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

glbltrvlr wrote:
But that's UAs whole point, isn't it? Create a fare that can be advertised as equal to the ULCCs, but make it annoying enough that the majority of passengers pay for the next bucket up.

It is, and I get that, but the last part of my response which you left out was that I ended up not flying UA at all, and I am sure that I'm not alone. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that UA underestimated the number of people who would defect from UA to other brands without a basic economy product (albeit now AA and DL have joined them).
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388

stlgph

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 pm

For me, when it comes to these "basic economy fares" across the board, if I'm flying nonstop and it's on a regional 2x2 seating, no questions asked on if I would book the fare or not.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

glbltrvlr

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 pm

33lspotter wrote:
It is, and I get that, but the last part of my response which you left out was that I ended up not flying UA at all, and I am sure that I'm not alone. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that UA underestimated the number of people who would defect from UA to other brands without a basic economy product (albeit now AA and DL have joined them).

I share your aversion to BE - that's the trick for UA. Find the balance where those defections don't exceed the revenue from upgrades. I'm not sure they will ever make anything specific available publicly. The best we'll be able to do is look at things like how many BE seats are offered, do they slowly disappear, what the spread between BE and the lowest economy fares are, etc.