jbpdx
Topic Author

Tourism to U.S. declines

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 pm

America Has a Foreign Tourism Problem
—Bloomberg

“As more international travelers decide to skip the United States, 10 business associations, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Restaurant Association, have created a travel industry group aimed at reversing the growing unpopularity of the U.S. as a vacation destination.”

“Since 2015 the U.S. and Turkey have been the only places among the top dozen global travel destinations to experience a decline in inbound visitors.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... =applenews

PITingres

Re: Tourism to U.S. declines

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 pm

I expect this will have to be moved to Non-Av, because the reasons for the decline are almost certainly not things that an industry group can control. It's affecting businesses, as well; sample of one, I know, but my company is preferring team meetings outside the US unless it's outrageous cost-wise, and I can't imagine we are alone.

(Edited: typos)
Fly, you fools! Fly!

stl07

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 pm

While not surprising if you analyze this from the perspective of looking at the Trump Administration, it is very surprising when looked at from an airline routes perspective. Day after day new cities are getting international flights, some of which (MCI, BDL, IND) I would never have thought would have seen the light of day if I was asked a year or two ago.

Cunard

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 am

I think all these new US International gateways that we're seeing lately are being started up so more US citizens from more US airports have the opportunity to get out of the United States of America and away from the Trump Administration rather than catering for a fast declining inbound tourism :-)

zakuivcustom

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 am

I've post the same article in another thread.

First, the number is "Since 2015". You know, that certain person in Mar-a-Lago didn't come into power until 2017.
Second, the largest decline, inbound to US, is from Western Europe. Last I check, that certain person in Mar-a-Lago widely embrace those people from that area, starting with Norway. :duck:

Yes, all the xenophobic feeling that certain person in Mar-a-Lago is stirring up doesn't help tourism at all. On the other hand, we really need to wait another year or two before its effect fully come into play (And I don't foresee those number will look good by then).

infinit

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 am

I would be surprised if tourism to the US did NOT decline.
Their President is blatantly and explicitly racist to say the least.

My circle of friends is made up largely of average middle-income Singaporeans who take an average of about 3 holidays a year, 2 short-haul weekend-type holidays, and 1 long haul. Some of them used to be quite fond of the likes of LA and San Francisco. These days, none of them want to visit.
If not for the image of how the US is becoming a lot more xenophobic, it'd be the horrible experiences we had using any of the US' major airports in the past...

IPFreely

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 am

PITingres wrote:
I expect this will have to be moved to Non-Av, because the reasons for the decline are almost certainly not things that an industry group can control. It's affecting businesses, as well; sample of one, I know, but my company is preferring team meetings outside the US unless it's outrageous cost-wise, and I can't imagine we are alone.

Many companies are, mine included. Not just now but for the past several years. The reason is quite simple and beyond the comprehension of the drama queens posting in this thread: the strength of the US dollar from 2015-present (the same time frame the article notes) makes travel from Europe to the US more expensive and travel from the US to Europe less expensive.

A properly researched and written article would have looked at a longer window of time and more importantly, considered the effect of currency fluctuation on travel. The inexperience, bias, or incompetence of Justin Bachman is quite evident.

Nicoeddf

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 am

IPFreely wrote:
PITingres wrote:

Many companies are, mine included. Not just now but for the past several years. The reason is quite simple and beyond the comprehension of the drama queens posting in this thread: the strength of the US dollar from 2015-present (the same time frame the article notes) makes travel from Europe to the US more expensive and travel from the US to Europe less expensive.

A properly researched and written article would have looked at a longer window of time and more importantly, considered the effect of currency fluctuation on travel. The inexperience, bias, or incompetence of Justin Bachman is quite evident.

There are many people, especially from Western Europe, who couldn't care less for currency fluctuations. Of course it does make a difference in total amount of money spent, but for those who can travel for holiday to the USA, its hardly make or break.

The group of people I regularly confer with about the topic, friends, colleagues, etc., rather find the US very unwelcoming. And I wholeheartedly agree. It gets different when you are in the country for sure, but the sheer inconvenience after a long haul flight of passing through unfriendly, unwelcoming, "what do you want here anyway"-style immigration and customs at the several US gateways I had the pleasure of experiencing, lets me think twice of travelling to the US. And I am straight white male from western Europe, though that shouldn't matter.
And I have to endure it for business purpose several times a year...no need to duplicate that for holiday.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

OA260

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
PITingres wrote:

There are many people, especially from Western Europe, who couldn't care less for currency fluctuations. Of course it does make a difference in total amount of money spent, but for those who can travel for holiday to the USA, its hardly make or break.

The group of people I regularly confer with about the topic, friends, colleagues, etc., rather find the US very unwelcoming. And I wholeheartedly agree. It gets different when you are in the country for sure, but the sheer inconvenience after a long haul flight of passing through unfriendly, unwelcoming, "what do you want here anyway"-style immigration and customs at the several US gateways I had the pleasure of experiencing, lets me think twice of travelling to the US. And I am straight white male from western Europe, though that shouldn't matter.
And I have to endure it for business purpose several times a year...no need to duplicate that for holiday.

I personally have not had issues with US Immigration other than a few moody officers. Then again I have had that in the UK,Ireland etc.. Currency fluctuations do not bother me either and when I go to the USA I shop quite a bit. Even at the lowest rate USD against the GBP and EUR it is still a lot cheaper compared to European prices especially if you are there during sales as I was in November.

I still feel welcome in the USA and will be there again soon. Still very popular with British and Irish this year too.

LAXintl

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:41 am

Yet some cities are seeing record foreign visitors.

Los Angeles for 7th straight year set record in 2017.

L.A. County sets another tourism record
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ... story.html
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 am

LAXintl wrote:
Yet some cities are seeing record foreign visitors.

Los Angeles for 7th straight year set record in 2017.

L.A. County sets another tourism record
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ... story.html

Come on, all those flights from LAX to every single cities you can think of in China has to carry somebody. :D :D . On the other hand, it still match up with the Bloomberg number, with East Asian tourists number not really dropping at all.

But 5.5% jump from Canada, now that I didn't expect :scratchchin: :scratchchin: . CND to USD remain fairly stable, so currency is not the big issue there I guess.

seahawk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:09 am

In the end it is the immigration procedure.If you choose between Canada and the USA, Canada is less likely to grab you by the balls literally.

Cunard

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
PITingres wrote:

Your post is absolutely correct and spot on and one that I totally relate to :-)

BENAir01

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:38 pm

To all the tourists not coming to America, lucky you. Just imagine having to live here!
On a more serious note, I would be surprised if a large part of it wasn’t the trump administration, though I’ll admit there are certainly other factors at play.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

CCGPV

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:46 pm

People base their travel on the President of the country and how long it takes to get through security?

Who are these mooks?

Mexico is a disaster but I sill visit with not even a thought. Turkey? Awesome beaches and food. Japan? Let's go. China? Lets go to the Forbidden City. The USA.....oh god no its like Auschwitz there.

What a joke.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Currency fluctuations, airfare and accommodation prices are more likely issues reducing some tourists to the USA more than President Trump. Where Trump might be discouraging visitors is from Mexico, Central and South America and some areas of the Carribbean due to fears of ICE. Some countries like Venezuela the people there cannot afford to leave as have no money and for others I suspect a slow, more expensive and invasive visa application process.

jnev3289

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 pm

CCGPV wrote:
People base their travel on the President of the country and how long it takes to get through security?

Who are these mooks?

Mexico is a disaster but I sill visit with not even a thought. Turkey? Awesome beaches and food. Japan? Let's go. China? Lets go to the Forbidden City. The USA.....oh god no its like Auschwitz there.

What a joke.

Perfection

smallvoyageur

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm

If I can put my :twocents: in this a first-time visitors to the States soon.

The early decline before as The View's Whoopi would say "the new guy" came into 1600 Pennsylvania Ave was due to two things;
1. The US was quite expensive, as the value of the US dollar was quite high against other major currencies. This was due to strong growth of the American economy (4% unemployment, and strong consumer confidence)
2. The second place, Spain was looking cheap with deep discounting of things like hotels and also growth in cheap flights to Spain. But also people who would have gone to the Eastern Med like Turkey and Egypt was looking dodgy and Spain looks a good bet.

Nicoeddf

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:47 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Who are these mooks?

What a joke.

Some problems in basic reading comprehension? There's help for you, google surely finds you somebody.

I have been on every single one of earth's beautiful continents. Several times. And I know I am privileged to have had that chance in young years and with own money. And yes, I certainly am able to decide if a country is welcoming or not.
The US isn't. Mexico is. It's not about the time spent in "security" as you call it. It's about the mindset. But there comes your little reading comprehension problem into play. Nobody spoke about time.
If you need further assistance, let me know. I am sure I can explain that to you in a way even you can digest.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

CCGPV

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Who are these mooks?

What a joke.

Some problems in basic reading comprehension? There's help for you, google surely finds you somebody.

I have been on every single one of earth's beautiful continents. Several times. And I know I am privileged to have had that chance in young years and with own money. And yes, I certainly am able to decide if a country is welcoming or not.
The US isn't. Mexico is. It's not about the time spent in "security" as you call it. It's about the mindset. But there comes your little reading comprehension problem into play. Nobody spoke about time.
If you need further assistance, let me know. I am sure I can explain that to you in a way even you can digest.

What a condescending post...jeeez.

Big whoop. I've visited every continent other than Antarctica too. Claiming the USA isn't welcoming is just completely untrue. Have you ever been there? They are the friendliest most optimistic people I've ever met.

Virtually every nation on earth is kind to tourists- the USA included. If you've traveled like you claim you've run into overbearing police, violent locals, and scary situations in many places.

Why are people so angry about all this? Are you trying to "teach them a lesson" or something?

BENAir01

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Big whoop. I've visited every continent other than Antarctica too. Claiming the USA isn't welcoming is just completely untrue. Have you ever been there? They are the friendliest most optimistic people I've ever met.

Virtually every nation on earth is kind to tourists- the USA included. If you've traveled like you claim you've run into overbearing police, violent locals, and scary situations in many places.

Well, I am not angry, but I just want to say one thing. I live here in America, and whenever I visit big tourist spots or do things that a foreigner would most likely do, people are most certainly not friendly and maybe some of the pessimistic people Ive ever met. While its true that most nations are kind to tourists, I would say the US is maybe on the lower end of the scale of being nice. People in Bhutan, for example, are INFINITELY nicer and more optimistic than people here in America.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Well, I am not angry, but I just want to say one thing. I live here in America, and whenever I visit big tourist spots or do things that a foreigner would most likely do, people are most certainly not friendly and maybe some of the pessimistic people Ive ever met. While its true that most nations are kind to tourists, I would say the US is maybe on the lower end of the scale of being nice. People in Bhutan, for example, are INFINITELY nicer and more optimistic than people here in America.

As far as friendliness in US - it highly depends where you are. At least from my extended family's perception (Yes, I know, a sample of one), when they visited US they found Americans in general fairly friendly and helpful, even though none of the people in my extended family speak good English. But then, they are from Hong Kong, and HK is more known for people always in a rush and have that "just get out of my way" mentality (And seriously, good luck trying to find anyone friendly in HK if you're speaking Mandarin :rotfl: ). So, maybe in comparison to HKer in general, Americans are definitely friendlier.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnev3289

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Well your minute number of experiences in relation to the entire world's experiences are meaningless when it comes to stating something as fact or something people should take as gospel. For every one of your negative experiences there are sure to be tens of thousands of positive experiences by everyone. If the US were so unwelcoming then tourism wouldn't be even 1/1,000,000th of what it continues to be and always will be.

BENAir01

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Well your minute number of experiences in relation to the entire world's experiences are meaningless when it comes to stating something as fact or something people should take as gospel. For every one of your negative experiences there are sure to be tens of thousands of positive experiences by everyone. If the US were so unwelcoming then tourism wouldn't be even 1/1,000,000th of what it continues to be and always will be.

Good point!

geologyrocks

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Two posters already stated two strong arguments:

1) The strength of the dollar
2) The distance and resulting increased costs of travel and time to get to the U.S. for a large portion of the world's population

But you guys can feel free to speculate it's about people feeling unwelcome by the President who they will neither see or say a word to during their visit just like every other President. My portfolio was up 20% in 2017. Let me use some of it to buy a tissue to get over those of you who won't come.

jnev3289

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 pm

geologyrocks wrote:

2) The distance and resulting increased costs of travel and time to get to the U.S. for a large portion of the world's population

But you guys can feel free to speculate it's about people feeling unwelcome by the President who they will neither see or say a word to during their visit just like every other President. My portfolio was up 20% in 2017. Let me use some of it to buy a tissue to get over those of you who won't come.

I couldn't tell you the President/Monarch/Leader of 75% of the countries I visit and it makes zero difference to me. I just need to know the laws of the country and obey them.
Last edited by jnev3289 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geologyrocks

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

I couldn't tell you the President/Monarch/Leader of 75% of the countries I visit and it makes zero difference from me. I just need to know the laws of the country and obey them.

I agree, me neither and thank God there are others with some common sense. Yes, you need to obey the laws of the country you are voluntarily entering.

9MMPQ

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

Never mind the president, current or former. How about proposed new security procedures, extra screenings and some other crazy plans which seem to come up from time to time ?

Apart from all the TSA screening issues & inconveniences I recall stories about plans to require people turn over pincodes to their devices, passwords to their social media accounts just for the sake of more screening. Your device not looking that new anymore or has a missing screw ? Mabye it's tampered with so it can't go or you can't go. Then the on & off again stories about mobile phones & laptops being collected and loaded in the hold where nobody can get to it in case of problems with lithium batteries. There's probably a few other doozies i already forgot about.

On here we might know it has not gotten quite that bad but i'm thinking overall to the average person who might be travelling maybe 2-3 times a year it does help to create the impression that even as an innocent traveller you are going to face more & more hassles going to the US then with other countries. Perceptions can be tricky thing.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

MAH4546

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Tourism declined becuase a strong dollar made the U.S. unattractive on an affordability scale. To blame a tourism slump that started in 2015 on Trump is just more desperation by liberals, who are increasingly finding it difficult to make up more things about Trump, as he continues to succeed in improving our economy.
a.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Tourism declined becuase a strong dollar made the U.S. unattractive on an affordability scale. To blame a tourism slump that started in 2015 on Trump is just more desperation by liberals, who are increasingly finding it difficult to make up more things about Trump, as he continues to succeed in improving our economy.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Even on a.net I have to look at all these stupid "liberal desperation" BS :banghead: :banghead:

And it still didn't change the fact that foreign inbound tourism IS declining. Of course, all those lover that is about to go to Mar-a-Lago to lick some boots probably think it's a good thing anyway :white:

BENAir01

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 am

Some day I’d really like to have a civil debate with a trump supporter so 1) I can understand their perspectide and 2) so they can understand mine because this is all just a huge misunderstanding. For example, I, a very strong liberal, am not just trying to find excuses to make up about trump, i genuinely dislike him, but I would like to know MAH4546’s perspective and background.

MAH4546

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 am

BENAir01 wrote:
Some day I’d really like to have a civil debate with a trump supporter so 1) I can understand their perspectide and 2) so they can understand mine because this is all just a huge misunderstanding. For example, I, a very strong liberal, am not just trying to find excuses to make up about trump, i genuinely dislike him, but I would like to know MAH4546’s perspective and background.

I am liberal by most stereotypical definitions (e.g. gay marriage, but then again I don't think that's a "liberal" thing. I don't know many conservatives that are against it, just like how our conservative President supports it), I just don't believe in liberal government. Liberal government does not work - whether it be on a large scale like Venezuela or California - or on a small scale like Chicago or Baltimore or Detroit.

I'm not a huge Trump fan. I honestly thought Trump would just help stabilize things a bit, and just be average. I didn't expect him to be doing as good a job as he is. I really didn't think he'd be that good a President.
a.

masgniw

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 am

MAH4546 wrote:
I didn't expect him to be doing as good a job as he is.

A good job...obstructing justice and alienating huge swaths of Americans (and the world)? Lying to the public? Attacking the free press?

Also, liberal government doesn't work? Ever heard of California? It's the 6th largest economy in the world, sets progressive environmental and health standards that the feds ultimately end up borrowing from, and is home to the best public universities in the country (UCLA and Cal). Huge failure.

MAH4546

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:16 am

masgniw wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

A good job...obstructing justice and alienating huge swaths of Americans (and the world)? Lying to the public? Attacking the free press?

Also, liberal government doesn't work? Ever heard of California? It's the 6th largest economy in the world, sets progressive environmental and health standards that the feds ultimately end up borrowing from, and is home to the best public universities in the country (UCLA and Cal). Huge failure.

I live in California. It’s a disaster and yeah, it doesn’t work. It’s a prime example of why liberal governm net doesn’t work. As to your first point, liberal fan fiction. But sure, believe in your fantasies. Rightly calling out far left “news” organizations for reporting misinformation is not “attacking” the press. It’s just calling it what it is. And any president is going to alienate significant swaths of the population, just like Obama did. Fortunately we are experiencing a time of tremendous economic growth and prosperity that is benefiting everybody right now, and it’s thanks to Trump.
a.

masgniw

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 am

MAH4546 wrote:
I live in California. It’s a disaster and yeah, it doesn’t work. It’s a prime example of why liberal governm net doesn’t work.

Me too. Why do you say it's such a disaster but choose to live here? Also, thanks for providing even one example. Very helpful.

MAH4546 wrote:
Fortunately we are experiencing a time of tremendous economic growth and prosperity that is benefiting everybody right now, and it’s thanks to Trump.

Is the economy growing? Sure! But you should be wary before slurping down the Trump Koolaid. There's plenty of documentation, both new and old, that demonstrates the overall lack of control that a sitting president has over the present state of the economy. It's really a subject matter worth sinking your teeth into a bit, no matter where you stand politically. Here're some starter articles from publications on both sides of the aisle to get you going:

http://fortune.com/2017/07/20/donald-tr ... ts-credit/
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ns/375180/

The takeaway is that the economy is large, complex, and dynamic and it's myopic to think one man's words have enough power to make meaningful changes in the real market in such a short period of time.

geologyrocks

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 am

masgniw wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Obstructing justice? So having conversations with advisors about potentially replacing someone who may have a conflict of interest is obstructing justice but declaring yourself a sanctuary state and having an attorney general saying he wants to prosecute employers who cooperate with ICE is progressive.

In 2008 it was all about look what Bush did to the economy which for the next 7 years led to look what Bush did and all of our problems are because of Bush. In 2016 it turned into the economy will fall under a Trump presidency. Now in 2018 it's the President doesn't really have any affect on the economy. Interesting.

masgniw

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 am

geologyrocks wrote:
In 2008 it was all about look what Bush did to the economy which for the next 7 years led to look what Bush did and all of our problems are because of Bush. In 2016 it turned into the economy will fall under a Trump presidency. Now in 2018 it's the President doesn't really have any affect on the economy. Interesting.

I'm going to urge you to read some of the articles I posted. They come from publications on different sides of the aisle.

Here's a really succinct takeaway from one:

Presidents can affect the economy through the decisions they make, but it often takes years to gauge the impact.

Kent350787

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:14 am

I get the impression that people in the US are unaware how wary the rest of the "first world" is of the USA under the Trump administration.

The recent decline of the USD will help white people with their travel decisions to the USA. Non-white people I know (largely professionals and academics) are wary of risking travel to the USA. I first visited the the USA in December 2016 and headed back in October 2017 and the tone had changed, at least in the NE.

Still a very interesting place to visit!

zakuivcustom

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:21 am

MAH4546 wrote:
masgniw wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

I live in California. It’s a disaster and yeah, it doesn’t work. It’s a prime example of why liberal governm net doesn’t work. As to your first point, liberal fan fiction. But sure, believe in your fantasies. Rightly calling out far left “news” organizations for reporting misinformation is not “attacking” the press. It’s just calling it what it is. And any president is going to alienate significant swaths of the population, just like Obama did. Fortunately we are experiencing a time of tremendous economic growth and prosperity that is benefiting everybody right now, and it’s thanks to Trump.

As someone not from Cal, all I'll say is, if one believe what the conservative say about the state, you would have thought everyone would have moved out by now, all the businesses would have moved out, and it'll be ultra poor third world state. But no, still tons of people moving there, housing is still (way too) expensive due to constant high demand (Yes, you can say NIMBYism has to do with that, but we all know if there's one thing that's bipartisan, it's NIMBYism), its economy still growing, still many companies are based there, etc.

And this is certainly true:
masgniw wrote:
Presidents can affect the economy through the decisions they make, but it often takes years to gauge the impact.

You can seriously make an argument as to the original cause of subprime mortgage crisis trace all the way back to pre-Bush era anyway (and it's true). And what did Obama really do to the economy? All he did was following Bush's playbook and continue to bailout big companies (i.e. corporate welfare) just to avert a total economic collapse. But of course Obama looks bad - did he really get to do 100% what he want to do? What about a no.

Tell me what that certain person in Mar-a-Lago did so far? Tax cut? It's literally just getting implemented and any long-term effect is not even close to being there yet. Stock keep raising? You know, even in 2016 it was going up, and that's before that certain person in Mar-a-Lago even run for presidency. And I thought the right-wing media back then was saying "president has nothing to do with the stock market, it's all b/c of the historical low interest rate, meaning stock market is the best place to invest" (or something along that line). Oh, and companies that were doing bad under Obama (i.e. retailers) are suppose to be his problem, but them continuing to do bad under that certain person in Mar-a-Lago is no longer the president's problem? (Truth is, it has absolutely nothing to do with presidency either).

By the way, if you want the full picture, the numbers are out there:
https://travel.trade.gov/research/month ... /index.asp

The drops, for the most part, begin in 2nd half of 2016. And of course, not surprisingly, number from ME dropped off a cliff in 2017 :rotfl:

LockheedBBD

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am

jbpdx wrote:
—Bloomberg

“As more international travelers decide to skip the United States, 10 business associations, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Restaurant Association, have created a travel industry group aimed at reversing the growing unpopularity of the U.S. as a vacation destination.”

“Since 2015 the U.S. and Turkey have been the only places among the top dozen global travel destinations to experience a decline in inbound visitors.”

Interesting. I believe Mr. Trump's policies are working as intended, with the intention of keeping the foreign riff-raff out of the country. America is huge, Trump should be encouraging "staycations". There are plenty of neat places to visit within the U.S.; why go to Mexico when you can stay within the US and visit New Mexico or Hawaii? It'll boost local tourism-based economies.

KentB27

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 pm

The people blaming Trump for the decline are ridiculous. If you actually read the article provided by the OP, the decline in U.S. tourism started in 2015. Long before Trump was ever in office...

zakuivcustom

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
—Bloomberg

Interesting. I believe Mr. Trump's policies are working as intended, with the intention of keeping the foreign riff-raff out of the country. America is huge, Trump should be encouraging "staycations". There are plenty of neat places to visit within the U.S.; why go to Mexico when you can stay within the US and visit New Mexico or Hawaii? It'll boost local tourism-based economies.

What riff-raff? Seriously, you REALLY think so-call "riff-raff" would be able to come into US this easily for years? (Legally, you're talking gov't visitor number here and I don't think they have a way to count people that come here illegally). Stop drinking the kkkool-aid that's made by water in Mar-a-Lago for once.

KentB27 wrote:
The people blaming Trump for the decline are ridiculous. If you actually read the article provided by the OP, the decline in U.S. tourism started in 2015. Long before Trump was ever in office...

Just some random math I did using the data I found, visitors number peaked at 2015 and start declining after that. For overall trend, though, there are still more people visiting US in 2017 than, let say, 2012 or 2013.

masgniw

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

I'll be here, waiting for you to assign the same credit you've given Trump for economic growth to the quadruple point freefall we've seen in the market.