LOWS
Topic Author

New MUC rail connection?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 pm

It seems like every few years there is new discussion about a new train connection from Salzburg to MUC, perhaps via Mühldorf and Freising, and then on to Munich city center. Has there been any discussion of that recently? The A8 is always packed, and the fastest train still takes 2.5hrs from MUC with the SBahn.

I've not heard anything about this, so I thought it would be worth asking here.

Aeroflot777

Re: New MUC rail connection?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21 am

I personally think before anyone even spends resources to think of connecting MUC to SZG, they need to seriously come up with a plan to connect MUC with Munich itself. The slow and unreliable S-Bahn service that currently exists is a joke for a major international hub. There absolutely needs to be high-speed, nonstop link from MUC airport to both Ostbahnhof and Hauptbahnhof.

I frequently fly from MUC, commuting from Innsbruck. The train between INN and Munich is no problem at all, fast in fact. It’s getting on the S-Bahn and ensuring uninterrupted travel with no delays and cancellations that makes my trips to the airport a drag.

Same goes for Salzburg. If an efficient link existed, there would be no need for direct service.

Momo1435

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:36 am

The plan is to extend the rail tunnel through Münich flughafen eastwards and connect it with the line to Mühldorf. A ÜFEX (Überregionaler Flughafen-Express), which is a fast regional train, will connect Salzburg with the airport via this new line. It won't be extended to München Hbf, but to Regensburg. The ÜFEX between Regensburg and the airport will already start in December this year as a new connection line between the airport line and the line to Regensburg will be completed this year. The time frame for the extension eastward is very German, in other words very slow. The construction should start this year, but it's only expected to be completed after 2025.

The plans for a faster railway line from München Hbf are going even slower. After the Transrapid Maglev project fell through a new rail line was proposed, it's part of a larger master-plan for the Münich S-Bahn for 2030. But there won't be any money coming in from Berlin for this project. So it's not going anywhere anytime fast.

Germany is very very very slow with infrastructure projects, mainly because of a crippling bureaucracy. This is not just for new projects but also for the much needed maintenance of roads, railway lines, bridges all around the country. There are no quick solutions for slow or missing connections, it will take years to plan and construct. So the trip from Salzburg to MUC will stay as slow as it is now for years to come.

LTU932

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Momo1435 wrote:
The plans for a faster railway line from München Hbf are going even slower. After the Transrapid Maglev project fell through a new rail line was proposed, it's part of a larger master-plan for the Münich S-Bahn for 2030. But there won't be any money coming in from Berlin for this project. So it's not going anywhere anytime fast.
As a matter of fact, when I saw the subject of this thread, the first thing on my mind was Edmund Stoiber's speech about how you can make the trip on the Transrapid from München Hbf to MUC in ten minutes (emphasis on ten minutes).
Momo1435 wrote:
Germany is very very very slow with infrastructure projects, mainly because of a crippling bureaucracy. This is not just for new projects but also for the much needed maintenance of roads, railway lines, bridges all around the country. There are no quick solutions for slow or missing connections, it will take years to plan and construct. So the trip from Salzburg to MUC will stay as slow as it is now for years to come.
:checkmark: :checkmark:

But it's not just the bureaucracy, it's also the lack of political will and partly fear of NIMBYs. When the political will is there however (and the federal government co-finances the project), they will do things without even considering what the people think (and by people, I don't mean NIMBYs). And if things go south, e.g. the project gets delayed and turns too expensive, the federal tax payer will pick up the tab for it in full (see e.g. BER or Stuttgart 21). That's how state and federal infrastructure projects in Germany work.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

BartSimpson

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am

When I did my diploma thesis on the new MUC airport back in 1993, I added a map with two additional rail routes that were already at that time supposed to be complementing the existing access routes:

- extending the S-Bahn from the airport to Erding station and thus to S-6 ("Ringschluss Erding") and
- a junction from the airport - Erding route to the main railroad from Munich to Salzburg which would connect Salzburg to the airport without having to transfer in Munich Central Station.