twicearound

Re: Visiting the cockpit of an aircraft inflight

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm

If you asked mid-flight the FA would likely inform you that no way no how are you getting into the flight deck. Whether they were stern or friendly is up to that individual, but behind the scenes their training would kick in and they would be analyzing you and your behavior and discussing it amongst themselves and the flight deck. While your request seems innocent to you, the safety professional dealing with you is trained to think differently. That is the aviation world we live in today, and a heightened sense of security is SOP, whatever your opinion might be on it. Be kind and don't add any extra stress to your flight crews.

studentdrbev
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Can a off-duty pilot visit the flight deck anytime inflight? If the pilot can, can the pilot take the controls while relieving the active crew?

I'm sure this is very unprofessional on the crew's part but I can't see why it won't happen esp. when the crew and the off-duty pilot are good friends.

longhauler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 pm

studentdrbev wrote:
Can a off-duty pilot visit the flight deck anytime inflight?

Not in Canada,

In fact, even if the pilot is deadheading, therefore security cleared on the crew manifest, he/she is not allowed in the flight deck unless he is operating crew.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

chrisair

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

longhauler wrote:
Not in Canada,

In fact, even if the pilot is deadheading, therefore security cleared on the crew manifest, he/she is not allowed in the flight deck unless he is operating crew.

You guys can't ride jumpseat in Canada for commuting? I had no idea!

VSMUT

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm

longhauler wrote:
studentdrbev wrote:
Can a off-duty pilot visit the flight deck anytime inflight?

Not in Canada,

Really? That sounds strict.

I have lost count of the number of times I was told to deadhead in the jumpseat with various European employers.

YYZSpotter1991

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm

I did it once on my first-ever flight back in 1997 as a 6-year old from YYZ-MIA. Since then I've been in 3 cockpits (a Skyservice 752, a KLM 744M and a British Airways 744), though each were years after 9/11, thus I could only see them after landing.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

longhauler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 pm

chrisair wrote:
You guys can't ride jumpseat in Canada for commuting? I had no idea!

We can, but only on our own airline and/or contract carriers.

However, there can be no open seats in the back. In other words, we are a part of the operating crew on the security manifest. Depending on the route or the actual employee, restrictions can (and do) vary. When we "jumpseat" on other airlines, it is only in an open cabin seat and we fall under the same security restrictions as a passenger.

But, in answer to the OP's question, no, we can not "visit" the cockpit in flight.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

ACDC8

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 am

longhauler wrote:
We can, but only on our own airline and/or contract carriers.

However, there can be no open seats in the back. In other words, we are a part of the operating crew on the security manifest. Depending on the route or the actual employee, restrictions can (and do) vary. When we "jumpseat" on other airlines, it is only in an open cabin seat and we fall under the same security restrictions as a passenger.

But, in answer to the OP's question, no, we can not "visit" the cockpit in flight.

Thank you for the clarification - I was going to post that your initial comment didn't sound quite right - so again, thank you for the clarification.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut