Zoedyn
Topic Author

Top 10 busiest airports worldwide 2017

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 am

Notes:
1 This graph is my own work based on the preliminary passenger traffic figures released by the airports or found in press reports, for Airliners pals' reference only. The officially recognized ranking will be available via Airports Council International months later.

2 The figures in the brackets represent the year-on-year growth rate and the number of runways available at the given airport.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Re: Top 10 busiest airports worldwide 2017

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 am

The 2017 ranking varies little from the previous year, except that LAX and HND traded places.

AirIndia

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:43 am

Zoedyn wrote:
1 This graph is my own work based on the preliminary passenger traffic figures released by the airports or found in press reports, for Airliners pals' reference only. The officially recognized ranking will be available via Airports Council International months later.

2 The figures in the brackets represent the year-on-year growth rate and the number of runways available at the given airport.

Airliners pals greatly appreciate your effort to put this list together. the final list wont be much different. Thanks.
Adding the growth figures and available runways brings a new perspective to the growth and actual voulmes.

RainerBoeing777

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 am

Do you think Haneda can beat DXB?
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

QF1607

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:19 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

If current growth rates continue i would say yes, with Emirates growing at a continued fast pace it's only a matter of time before DXB runs out of room, HND has in theory unlimited expansion space with Tokyo Bay, very expensive but not impossible to build more land for extra terminal and parking space for aircraft.

babastud

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am

Where is the graph, it's not showing up?

YangFeng

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

I guess HND could bigger than DXB and PEK as soon as airlines start moving to Dubai World Central or Beijing Daxing Airport.

77H

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 am

I find it interesting that ORD continues to move down the list year after year. While pax numbers are growing other airports around the world continue to grow at a faster pace.

For a while, ORD was hampered by its runway configuration and the number of planes it could handle in a given time period. This being particularly impactful given the high percentage of low capacity regional flights ORD handles relative to a lot of hubs. At 8 runways, in a more efficient configuration this is largely a non-factor. Additionally, many airlines have upgauged to higher capacity aircraft. So why has ORDs prominance continued to decline? Is the primary issue now gate space? Is it the split hub situation or has the importance of the airport as a connection point and O&D center diminished relative to other airports?

77H

jfklganyc

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm

LAX is busier than ORD? I must have been sleeping for a couple of years!

Chicago is in such bad shape with stagnant population and bad state finances, they have had a rough decade

factsonly

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:39 pm

QF1607 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

If current growth rates continue i would say yes.

DXB - January 2018 performance data !!

Dubai International Airport reported (27-Feb-2018) the following traffic highlights for Jan-2018, all measures down on 2017:

- Passengers: 8.0 million, -1.0% year-on-year;
- Cargo: 202,233 tonnes, -2.9%;
- Aircraft movements: 35,306, -3.5%.

And that is before DXB 6x weeks runway closure this spring 2018.

ILS28ORD

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:09 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Chicago is in such bad shape with stagnant population and bad state finances, they have had a rough decade

ORD is actually busier now with passengers than it has ever been. Other airports are growing faster. The "declining populations" is lower income/ elderly mainly. Read the ORD close to expansion thread, a lot of debate about GDP and population there. much younger, wealthier crowd moving into Chicago lately, which is good for business, not the opposite.

PerfectGriffin

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:26 pm

factsonly wrote:
QF1607 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

If current growth rates continue i would say yes.

DXB - January 2018 performance data !!

Dubai International Airport reported (27-Feb-2018) the following traffic highlights for Jan-2018, all measures down on 2017:

- Passengers: 8.0 million, -1.0% year-on-year;
- Cargo: 202,233 tonnes, -2.9%;
- Aircraft movements: 35,306, -3.5%.

And that is before DXB 6x weeks runway closure this spring 2018.

Down? That's a shock. First time in as far as I can remember that traffic is down - excluding the runway closure months in 2014.

Also the new runway closure is in 2019 not this year.

jfklganyc

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Yes there are green sprouts in Chicago. But it pales in comparison to the population loss just between 2000 and 2010.

Let’s face it, the pension explosion has hit Illinois hard. (NJ is next and NY will face their day). The state budget is a mess and, if you make decent money, your taxes just went up significantly with the recently passed bailout that included no reforms to fix the problem.

This will utimately hurt Illinois and its largest city very badly. Also, the highlighted crime problem, while overblown, doesnt help. Most people hear about it and think it’s all of Chicago...which it is not.

PerfectGriffin

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm

ORD is doing just fine. Should enter the 80m club this year.

Jetty

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:07 pm

77H wrote:
I find it interesting that ORD continues to move down the list year after year. While pax numbers are growing other airports around the world continue to grow at a faster pace.

For a while, ORD was hampered by its runway configuration and the number of planes it could handle in a given time period. This being particularly impactful given the high percentage of low capacity regional flights ORD handles relative to a lot of hubs. At 8 runways, in a more efficient configuration this is largely a non-factor. Additionally, many airlines have upgauged to higher capacity aircraft. So why has ORDs prominance continued to decline?

jfklganyc wrote:

ORD isn't in decline, even compared to other airports. Actually ORD moved up 1 spot since 2013 when they were the 7th busiest and already behind LAX.

The megahubs that are actually steadily losing ground in terms of passangers are LHR, CDG and DFW.

chicawgo

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Jetty wrote:
77H wrote:

For a while, ORD was hampered by its runway configuration and the number of planes it could handle in a given time period. This being particularly impactful given the high percentage of low capacity regional flights ORD handles relative to a lot of hubs. At 8 runways, in a more efficient configuration this is largely a non-factor. Additionally, many airlines have upgauged to higher capacity aircraft. So why has ORDs prominance continued to decline?

jfklganyc wrote:

ORD isn't in decline, even compared to other airports. Actually ORD moved up 1 spot since 2013 when they were the 7th busiest and already behind LAX.

The megahubs that are actually steadily losing ground in terms of passangers are LHR, CDG and DFW.

This^

LHR had beaten ORD for a few years and now ORD is back on top. 2.4% growth is reasonable for an established city with over 100 million air passengers per year. ATL was NEGATIVE for 2017. Omg is Atlanta in decline and falling apart?

Have you seen the new service announced at ORD for this year?? ET, Norwegian just to name a few. They’ll likely hit 4-5% growth this year. But of course Chicago is in decline so we can’t mention any actual facts

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm

AirIndia wrote:
Airliners pals greatly appreciate your effort to put this list together. the final list wont be much different. Thanks.
Adding the growth figures and available runways brings a new perspective to the growth and actual voulmes.

Thank you for yr kind words:)

Yes, total passenger traffic handled by an airport can indeed be better accounted for if we take into consideration its growth rate and number of available rwys, among a myriad of other things.

In this list, it's easy to point out airports that are suffering obvious capacity constraints due to insufficient rwys (relative to other runway-rich hubs): HKG, LHR, DXB, PEK, all of which are running at full stretch with growth rates slowing down year after year

Recall some professionals saying a couple of years back, PEK with its impressive growth rates then, was to overtake ATL as the worlds most busy airport. Alas, that has proven to be too premature a prediction: PEK has been stagnating in the neighborhood of 95 million pax in the past two years, hardly seeing any hopes of rising above the significant 100m mark, particularly given that Beijing's new airport is to start operations next year, showing that 3 rwys could only help it go so far.

In my opinion, DXB, experiencing rather satisfying growth for 2017 though, will be meeting with similar problems and difficulties PEK/LHR are suffering.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 pm

77H wrote:

For a while, ORD was hampered by its runway configuration and the number of planes it could handle in a given time period. This being particularly impactful given the high percentage of low capacity regional flights ORD handles relative to a lot of hubs. At 8 runways, in a more efficient configuration this is largely a non-factor. Additionally, many airlines have upgauged to higher capacity aircraft. So why has ORDs prominance continued to decline? Is the primary issue now gate space? Is it the split hub situation or has the importance of the airport as a connection point and O&D center diminished relative to other airports?

77H

You raised a very interesting observation that I think deserves delving into.
Here is an account of ORD's less-than-satisfying performance over the years and the reasons behind, mainly from a micro local political-economic perspective, which I hope may partly dispel yr puzzle
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-city-hall-story-20180223-story.html