dz09
Topic Author

Hainan Airlines - Any good?

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Considering how expensive it is to travel with the US3 in business, I'm considering using Hainan airlines instead since they're offering very affordable business class fares to China. Any feedback on their service, reliability etc..?

Avaitor

Re: Hainan Airlines - Any good?

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:49 pm

They are a SkyTrax 5 Star Airline. They are quite good although the crews can be hit and miss with English skills.

masgniw

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Avaitor wrote:
They are a SkyTrax 5 Star Airline.

I wouldn't put toooo much stock in this.

But I did ORD-PEK on their 787 and had a really positive experience. Solid service, good IFE, slightly-above-average food, and on-time departures. They also had fares well below all competitors, which apparently is still the case.

The previous poster is right about the language thing. I'd say 1/2 of the flight attendants speak perfectly passable, accented English and 1/2 have a little harder time communicating with non-Chinese speakers. But, if you're reasonably culturally competent (which I suspect you are given your itinerary), you'll be just fine.

I would fly them again in a heartbeat.

LAXintl

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Had pretty good experience with them up front. I'd say they are solid choice especially considering if pricing is below competitors.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

CZ326

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:19 am

I'd say based off my experience flying Hainan Airlines twice, that they're a good airline. Not five star standard to me but much better compared to what I'd get in the US. You have decent food, IFE is good on international but non-existent on domestic flights. Their staffing and hub based in Beijing airport is fine, but their Haikou airport hub is horrible.

I'd consider flying again though only for a route that was not served by a Star alliance carrier.

dredgy

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:22 am

Flew them Brisbane to Shenzhen in business and very good experience. Granted it’s the exclusive carrier on that route so I didn’t have much choice, but I’d very happily go them again.