HellBoyMaps
Topic Author

Hotel Accomodation

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 am

If a FA picks up a trip which has 12 hours layover at her home base. Is she entitled to a hotel accommodation?

mmo

Re: Hotel Accomodation

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:35 am

Depends on the airline's contract. With that said, if she has a layover at her home base, most airlines would not cover the hotel. But, deals can be made with crew scheduling.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

XAM2175

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Yeah this is definitely a per-airline question, and even then it might vary depending on the specific contract within the airline (ie QF has something like four different FA contracts for mainline, another for NZ-based Jetconnect crew, yet another for London-based A380 crew, and yet more for subsidiary regional before you even get to subcontracted regional work, and BA has at least five across Wordwide, Eurofleet, Mixed Fleet, Cityflyer, and Gatwick).

I do remember reading that several US airlines have provisions for a daily allowance for home layovers instead of providing accomodation, so the FA can elect to take the accommodation or a payment in lieu to stay at home or with a friend etc etc.

Also - are you asking if the rules vary based on the FA's gender or are you just being presumptuous? ;)

Slash787

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Can you give an example by what you mean 12 hours layover at her home base? Well if the FA is back her their Home Base then from what I know they won't get a hotel and well it depends on each airline, For whatever airline I have flown till now they have never provided a hotel accommodation at home base.

flydude380

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Do you mean as where they are based or where they actually live?

Some airlines may offer hotels to crew where they are based out of. For example, I know that legacy BA crew on WW can elect for a hotel at LHR if they are operating back to back trips from LHR and the US Eastern seaboard. I also know that pilots are entitled to a hotel near LGW if they happen to be rostered a flight from LGW.

I also understand that in some US FA contracts, they have something called ‘hotel gain-sharing’ or something. There are plenty of SWA crew who are based at BUR and operate trips to and from LAX (which is not a crew base) and I therefore think the crews who live in the LA area still get a hotel.

AAlaxfan

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:58 pm

Let's say a JFK based FA is scheduled a JFK-DFW-LAX-Layover-LAX-ORD-JFK trip but at DFW gets changed to DFW-MIA-JFK-Layover-JFK-DFW-ORD-JFK. Would the FA get a hotel during the JFK layover since they were originally supposed to have an out of town layover?
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

fghtngsiouxatc

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
Let's say a JFK based FA is scheduled a JFK-DFW-LAX-Layover-LAX-ORD-JFK trip but at DFW gets changed to DFW-MIA-JFK-Layover-JFK-DFW-ORD-JFK. Would the FA get a hotel during the JFK layover since they were originally supposed to have an out of town layover?

For the United sCO contract, they would indeed be entitled to a hotel room. The rational being they were already supposed to have a hotel at their layover and they never planned on laying over in their base.

e38

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:12 pm

As other responses have indicated, it all depends on the policy of the individual company and will vary from airline to airline.

At the company at which I work, this is called a "domicile layover."

When the schedule change occurs that results in a layover at the domicile, the computer software will NOT automatically source a hotel room for the crewmember. Some crewmembers would welcome a domicile layover as they could go home and spend an extra night at home. Other crewmembers, if they commute to their crew base or perhaps live considerable distance from the airport, would prefer to have a hotel.

The way it is resolved at my company is to make a phone call to crew scheduling and tell them you would like to have a hotel room.

I have never seen a situation where crew scheduling denied the request, i.e., in my experience, a hotel room at a domicile layover following a schedule change has always been approved.

e38