DenverA330
Topic Author

Air Baltic/Tbilisi

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Flying Air Baltic Prague-Riga-Tbilisi in May. Curious about people's experiences with Air Baltic, things to do in Riga during a (11hr!) layover, and about getting from Tbilisi International to the city center where my AirBnb is.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

flyboy_se

Re: Air Baltic/Tbilisi

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:43 pm

I had only good experience with BT. Crew were always friendly and their BOB is decent. You can also preorder about 70 different meals online as well for 8 Euro or so. RIX airport is not very big, but it does the trick. it is fairly easy to get around.
For your 11 hour layover you should definitely head to Riga old town. it is beautiful. Plenty of time for a nice stroll and a decent meal before your next flight.
There is a bus every 15 min, and I think the fare was 2 euros or so. Takes about 30 minutes
I think taxi is about 15-20 euros
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

Vasu

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:27 am

I can echo all of that.

Depending on budget I would take the taxi to/from Riga city centre. Nothing particularly wrong with the bus, but I did find the taxi drivers (Baltictaxi - the green airbaltic ones) particularly friendly and the journey very quick and simple.

What time of day are you in Riga? There’s some decent sightseeing to be done and lots of lovely places to eat and drink. Definitely do the “central market”!

dredgy

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:01 am

Also had good experiences with AirBaltic, but I had an insane stomach flu which kept me grounded for 2 days in Riga. The crew were very nice and kept a toilet reserved for me so I was the first one in as soon as the plane took off. I didn’t emerge until landing so don’t know what the rest of the flight was like.

The return flight (TLL-RIX-CDG) was uneventful and comfortable.

DenverA330
Topic Author

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 am

Awesome, thanks guys! Ill be there from about 1200-2300. Any recommendations for good bars in the old town? :)

Cush

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:47 am

You will absolutely want to get a cab into Old Town to do a little sightseeing. While there isn't a ton to see, it's a beautiful town with plenty of small narrow streets, cool stores, and just a fun atmosphere. I went to Riga for 2 days, as my friend from Russia and I wanted to meet somewhere, so i closed my eyes and put my finger on a spot on a map in Europe. It landed on Riga. We both booked our tickets and left the next day. Her flight was 1 hour, mine was about 1 day with connections. lol. Still a cool spur of the moment random trip.

The airport doesn't offer much, as I sat there for 8 hours and was bored out of my mind. There is a Costa Coffee where you can grab a nice drink, and a smoking ramp where I smoked and spotted planes just counting down the hours until I would leave.

You can see pretty much everything in Riga in your short layover period. Enjoy!
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

Vasu

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:31 pm

DenverA330 wrote:
Awesome, thanks guys! Ill be there from about 1200-2300. Any recommendations for good bars in the old town? :)

From my last visit, I was a fan of:

Cafe Leningrad
Rozengrals
Easy Beer
... and of course any branch of LIDO!

DenverA330
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:02 am

BT was pretty good, CS300 was a nice plane, seats imho were garbage but the service was professional and ontime. Cush, you forgot to mention the Soviet Air Force graveyard on property! It was quite a thrill to see Mig-21,23, 27 and Tu-22 up close! Vasu, Cafe Leningrad was great! Had the Russian dumplings and a vegetable dish that were delicious, good IIHF hockey game on the TV, plus the beer was cheap and plentiful! Riga is a great city, wish I had more than a day there.

Vasu

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Glad you enjoyed it - good airline, good city.

This thread has made me book my next trip to Riga to experience the CS300 for myself!