Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ojjunior
Topic Author

Where are the good old IntraEurope rates?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm searching for nonstop options one way AMS-MUC next Apr,30th for 2 pax. Researching for months and got amazed how expensive can this route be.
Due my arriving flight time, I can't leave AMS before 6PM but beyond Transavia and Eurowings options, even after adding checked in lugagge, other options are horrendously expensive (€250+ / $300+)
Is that common? 4 airlines flying the route supposedly should keep fair prices, isn't it?
Damn... what a bad surprise for such a quick journey...
Maybe something related to May, 1st holiday?

SCQ83

Re: Where are the good old IntraEurope rates?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm

May 1st is Tuesday = end of Bank Holiday.

AMS-MUC is a really "main hub to main hub" route with no secondary alternative or feasible train.

FlyingHollander

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:43 pm

What's wrong with Eurowings or Transavia for around €80? And I also see two KLM flights for around €120.

flyboy_se

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Eurowings is 103,99 EUR per person for their 9:45pm departure, arriving in MUC 11:10 pm. The fare includes bag, seat selection and snack.
You can go with hand luggage only for 79,99

Transavia comes in little cheaper at 98 Euros per person with a departure at 7:25pm and arrival in MUC at 8:55 pm including 1 bag and seat selection.

KLM is 156 Euros per person one way with a bag
Lufthansa is the most expensive at 186 Euros per person

Normally legacy airlines such as KLM and LH are notorious for their one way pricing.

PatrickZ80

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm

flyboy_se wrote:
Eurowings is 103,99 EUR per person for their 9:45pm departure, arriving in MUC 11:10 pm. The fare includes bag, seat selection and snack.

Transavia comes in little cheaper at 98 Euros per person with a departure at 7:25pm and arrival in MUC at 8:55 pm including 1 bag and seat selection.

Normally legacy airlines such as KLM and LH are notorious for their one way pricing.

Where did you find those fares, because I found them cheaper using a SkyScanner search.

In my search Transavia comes cheapest at € 78, departing at 19:25. Next comes EuroWings at € 80, departing at 21:45. KLM has a flight at 18:40 for € 122 and at 21:00 for € 128. Lufthansa is the most expensive with a departure at 21:25 for € 167.

flyboy_se

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
flyboy_se wrote:

Where did you find those fares, because I found them cheaper using a SkyScanner search.

In my search Transavia comes cheapest at € 78, departing at 19:25. Next comes EuroWings at € 80, departing at 21:45. KLM has a flight at 18:40 for € 122 and at 21:00 for € 128. Lufthansa is the most expensive with a departure at 21:25 for € 167.

Those fares were from the airlines own websites. eurowings.com, Transavia.com , klm.com and Lufthansa.com

I quoted prices with a bag included, as for Eurowings I did mentioned without bag it is 79,99 Euros which is the same you got.

PPVLC

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:24 am

I would take a train, cheaper and much easier, you would change once, either FRA or Hannover but German trains are so good and reliable. It takes a bit more than 7 hours but when I think of the time we waste going to the airport, checking in/ going through security, flying to the destination and then going to town from the airport I start thinking that a hasslefree 7 hour journey is a good deal.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am

PPVLC wrote:
I would take a train, cheaper and much easier, you would change once, either FRA or Hannover but German trains are so good and reliable. It takes a bit more than 7 hours but when I think of the time we waste going to the airport, checking in/ going through security, flying to the destination and then going to town from the airport I start thinking that a hasslefree 7 hour journey is a good deal.

So would I, but he says he can't leave until after 6 PM, and all train options after that take 11-13 hours.

PPVLC

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 am

VSMUT wrote:
PPVLC wrote:

So would I, but he says he can't leave until after 6 PM, and all train options after that take 11-13 hours.

that's true!

AirAfreak

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:22 am

I’m not sure about the “good old Intra-Europe rates,” other than student/youth fares, but today, one can purchase a SkyTeam Go Europe Pass. There is one condition that all travel must be completed within the validity of the SkyTeam international ticket. As this may/may not be of use/interest to someone originating in Europe, these passes/fares exist today and have for a very long time.

For example, Air France offered the EuroFlyer Pass since at least the 1990’s when my father started buying them. My father and I would fly AF IAD-CDG-(Intra-Europe)-CDG-IAD on these passes in the mid-90’s. Each coupon was considered a flight segment. The first coupon in the EuroFlyer Pass had to be pre-booked prior to U.S. departure while each additional coupons remained “open.”

Sorry if I went a little too-detailed here. *^•^*

Kindest Regards,

AirAfreak

ojjunior
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Well folks, I thought it could not get worse but it got. The Transavia flight I was following (7:25PM) got higher. Actually the time that I can fly did not leave me many options.
Final price 238€ for 2 pax with 25kg checkedin lugagge each and 2 seats chosen, I bought yesterday.
This train leg is unacceptable and prices almost the same as the plane so no chance, I checked as an option.
Anyway, at least to compensate for my sadness I discovered that the Spring Festival (Frühlingsfest) in Munich goes from Apr,20th to May,8th so I will drown my sorrows in beer and mourn the lost euros...
Cheers!

lancelot07

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:21 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Final price 238€ for 2 pax with 25kg checkedin lugagge each and 2 seats chosen, I bought yesterday.
Cheers!

Makes 119€ each, on the last flight of the day presumably, including checked baggage and seat reservation. What exactly are you complaining about?
I don't think flying in Europe was ever before as cheap as it is now.