JPhoto
Topic Author
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 4:38 pm

SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Dear fellow A nutters,

I'm flying in September with SAS to Poland (via CPH) from the US. This will be a new airline for me, what can I expect in terms of service, food, entertainment, free or pay for alcohol, etc.

So far I've only flown long haul with Delta and KLM, is it more or less the same? I'm flying economy with the cheapest fare available (SAS GO) on the A330 EWR-CPH and on the A340 CPH-ORD.

Any information will be highly appreciated!
PDX-AMS
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 pm

intra-Europe:

SAS Economy / cheapest class: coffee/tea/water is free, no food. Buy on Board is available, Entertainment: In Flight Magazines, windows.

SAS WiFi has already been installed in 28 aircraft, and by September, around 40 aircraft will have the new high speed WiFi installed. SAS expects the vast majority of its fleet to be WiFi enabled by the first quarter of 2020.



International Longhaul I don't know.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
reffado
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 am

Re: SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 pm

From what I understand, their longhaul fleet is fairly standardized, with the exception of LN-RKP, which is a former LAN Chile A340, and has retained its outdated interior. IIRC they recently refurbished the rest of their A340 fleet.
 
Yflyer
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:05 am

Re: SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I flew on SAS ORD-ARN and CPH-IAD back in 2014. The one thing that surprised me about the meal service was the lack of choice. If you didn't request a special meal, there's just one meal that everyone gets. Not the choice of two meal options I'd come to expect on every other transatlantic carrier I'd flown. Also, there's one complimentary full beverage at meal time, and a coffee/tea/water service later on, but if you want another soft drink after that first beverage service you have to pay. I don't remember about alcohol, I'm guessing you probably have to pay for it. I'm sure that information is readily available on their website.

My knowledge of their entertainment system is probably out of date now, as I'm pretty sure they've upgraded to a newer system since I flew on them, so I'll let someone else answer that part.
 
debonair
Posts: 3152
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

I do recommend to bid for an upgrade - always worth a try! But not worth it for shorter European destinations...

Sometimes, SAS offers great deals like this one:
https://www.flysas.com/en/fly-with-us/t ... /upgrades/
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1832
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm

JPhoto wrote:
I'm flying in September with SAS to Poland (via CPH) from the US. This will be a new airline for me, what can I expect in terms of service, food, entertainment, free or pay for alcohol, etc.

So far I've only flown long haul with Delta and KLM, is it more or less the same? I'm flying economy with the cheapest fare available (SAS GO) on the A330 EWR-CPH and on the A340 CPH-ORD.

Any information will be highly appreciated!


Intra-europe, you will get nothing. If you are very lucky, they might serve a cup of coffee. They are much worse than KLM in this field. You are also likely to be stuffed into a nasty CRJ.
 
JPhoto
Topic Author
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies! I don't really care about the 1 hour intra Europe flight since it's so short, I'm more concerned about the 5ish hour flight from my hometown to EWR on UA!

I tried to bid for an upgrade but it starts at $360 instead of the advertised $155, so no thanks.
PDX-AMS
 
User avatar
ricport
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:07 pm

debonair wrote:
I do recommend to bid for an upgrade - always worth a try! But not worth it for shorter European destinations...


When you're 6"2 and getting older, it's all bout the comfort, even for an hour, my friend. Which brings me to my question: I'm taking SK this October TXL - CPH. I paid for what appears to be their F class... When I took IB FCO - MAD last year, their version of F was extremely disappointing... It was still 3-3 seating with just a smidge more leg room than Y. What am I in store for on this flight? Thanks very much!
 
LGAviation
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: SAS experience question

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 pm

ricport wrote:
debonair wrote:
I do recommend to bid for an upgrade - always worth a try! But not worth it for shorter European destinations...


When you're 6"2 and getting older, it's all bout the comfort, even for an hour, my friend. Which brings me to my question: I'm taking SK this October TXL - CPH. I paid for what appears to be their F class... When I took IB FCO - MAD last year, their version of F was extremely disappointing... It was still 3-3 seating with just a smidge more leg room than Y. What am I in store for on this flight? Thanks very much!



There is no F class anywhere in Europe, we call it J. Since flights are shorter in general, people don't care that much about extra onboard comfort but more about perks like lounge access. And SK doesnt even offer J that on shorthaul. So with SK's SAS Plus you're looking at lounge access and food onboard but not extra comfort.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR
 
debonair
Posts: 3152
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 am

LGAviation wrote:
So with SK's SAS Plus you're looking at lounge access and food onboard but not extra comfort.


Correct, so SAS is not even blocking the middle seat in their European sort-off BusinessClass...
 
Bostrom
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:04 pm

VSMUT wrote:
JPhoto wrote:
I'm flying in September with SAS to Poland (via CPH) from the US. This will be a new airline for me, what can I expect in terms of service, food, entertainment, free or pay for alcohol, etc.

So far I've only flown long haul with Delta and KLM, is it more or less the same? I'm flying economy with the cheapest fare available (SAS GO) on the A330 EWR-CPH and on the A340 CPH-ORD.

Any information will be highly appreciated!


Intra-europe, you will get nothing. If you are very lucky, they might serve a cup of coffee. They are much worse than KLM in this field. You are also likely to be stuffed into a nasty CRJ.


I've been on plenty of SAS intra-europe flights, and they always serve tea and coffee. I was a bit impressed that they even managed to do it on the very short flight from ARN to VBY.
 
Bostrom
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:11 pm

ricport wrote:
debonair wrote:
I do recommend to bid for an upgrade - always worth a try! But not worth it for shorter European destinations...


When you're 6"2 and getting older, it's all bout the comfort, even for an hour, my friend. Which brings me to my question: I'm taking SK this October TXL - CPH. I paid for what appears to be their F class... When I took IB FCO - MAD last year, their version of F was extremely disappointing... It was still 3-3 seating with just a smidge more leg room than Y. What am I in store for on this flight? Thanks very much!


SAS doesn't offer F class, so I assume you booked "SAS Plus", or premium economy. So you will get 3-3 seating (SAS doesn't block the middle seat, but if the flight isn't full there is a good chance of not having a seat neighbour) and food. Comfort wise, it depends on which aircraft you are flying. If you are lucky, you'll be on one of their new A320neos which are great in my opinion. If you are unlucky, you might find yourself on an older aircraft that offers varying standard. The oldest 737s feel a bit worn, but they are being phased out.
 
NozPerry
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 am

Re: SAS experience question

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Flying infra Europe from CPH you could be on the CityJet CRJ. It’s not bad for short hops and they do carry out a SAS service of tea, coffee and water.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 5322
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: SAS experience question

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm

JPhoto wrote:
Dear fellow A nutters,

I'm flying in September with SAS to Poland (via CPH) from the US. This will be a new airline for me, what can I expect in terms of service, food, entertainment, free or pay for alcohol, etc.

So far I've only flown long haul with Delta and KLM, is it more or less the same? I'm flying economy with the cheapest fare available (SAS GO) on the A330 EWR-CPH and on the A340 CPH-ORD.

Any information will be highly appreciated!



SAS Go
•If you’re travelling in SAS Go within Europe or to Eilat or Beirut, you can buy snacks, light meals and beverages from our inflight menu. On flights longer than 120 minutes, you can also pre-order a wide variety of meals on most flights up to 18 hours before departure. Please note that if you’re travelling within Scandinavia or Finland, you can only pre-order breakfast.

•On intercontinental routes, meals and one non-alcoholic beverage (served with the main meal) are included.* You can also buy snacks, meals and beverages from our inflight menu. If you have special dietary requirements, you can order one of our special meals up to 24 hours before departure. Please see our special meals section below.

* On flights to/from Tokyo, all beverages including alcoholic drinks (except sparkling wine) are included in the first meal serving.

See here:

https://www.flysas.com/us-en/fly-with-us/inflight/

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cofannyc and 20 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos