BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

British Airways deboards Indian family over ‘crying’ of 3-year-old child

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 am

I posted this earlier but the thread got deleted. I am guessing its wrong to post negative news about some airlines here on A.net unless its AI.
Anyways here's the link https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 640814.ece
Hopefully the thread won't get deleted.

Virtual737

Re: British Airways deboards Indian family over ‘crying’ of 3-year-old child

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 am

'He alleged that when the plane started moving towards the runway, the crew member came back, shouting, “You bloody keep quite, otherwise you would be thrown out of the window.”'

If a BA crew member actually said this I will eat my hat. I'll have to go out and buy one first, but eaten it will be.

packmedic

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am

Virtual737 wrote:
'He alleged that when the plane started moving towards the runway, the crew member came back, shouting, “You bloody keep quite, otherwise you would be thrown out of the window.”'

If a BA crew member actually said this I will eat my hat. I'll have to go out and buy one first, but eaten it will be.

Seriously. That doesn't even sound believable
A319 A320 A321 A333 A388 AT72 B717 B733 B734 B734C B735 B73G B738 B739 B744 B752 B764 B772 B789 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8D E135 E140 E145 E170 E175 E190 MD80 MD90

Spiderguy252

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 am

These stories always only present one side of the picture.
Vahroone

Andy33

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:35 am

BrooklynBomGal Are you seriously suggesting that either AI or 9W would allow a 3 year old child to be out of their seat and not restrained by a seatbelt during taxi-ing any more than BA did ? Regardless of the 'he said she said' part of the story, it is clear that this is what was happening.
Both those airlines have a pretty good cabin safety culture, and I'm absolutely certain the DGCA rules are similar to EASA's in this matter.

BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:

So the family is lying? Making up the story to claim $$$ from BA? or have they been paid by a competitor airline?

Spiderguy252

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:38 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

So the family is lying? Making up the story to claim $$$ from BA? or have they been paid by a competitor airline?

Let's just say that in cases like these, the aggrieved party has a tendency to be economical with the truth.
Vahroone

spacecadet

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 am

He said while his wife managed to calm their son, an “aggrieved” crew member approached them and started scolding the boy, asking him to get back to his seat.

I mean, come on. You need to be in your seat for takeoff. This is flying 101.

Then the bit about "throwing him out the window" was clearly just made up. Nobody says that, on any airline. Unless there's video, it didn't happen.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am

Spiderguy252...let's see how the story unfolds provided the paid/unpaid BA PR lets it.
Andy33....the child was in his designated seat with the seat belt on.

Andy33

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Spiderguy252...let's see how the story unfolds provided the paid/unpaid BA PR lets it.

So this part of the newspaper article you linked to is wrong then?
He said while his wife managed to calm their son, an “aggrieved” crew member approached them and started scolding the boy, asking him to get back to his seat. The boy had a window seat, but the mother had taken him into her arms to console him.
Last edited by Andy33 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

sadiqutp

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:

how do you know that as a fact?

BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 am

Andy33 wrote:
BrooklyBOMgal wrote:

So this part of the newspaper article you linked to is wrong then?
He said while his wife managed to calm their son, an “aggrieved” crew member approached them and started scolding the boy, asking him to get back to his seat. The boy had a window seat, but the mother had taken him into her arms to console him.

Please read the very next line. The child was not in his seat but when asked to get back, the mother did put him back in his seat with the seat belt on. Again please read the article without any prejudice. I know the article is from an Indian newspaper and the aggrieved party is Indian but let's not get carried away.

Kadish

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 am

No surprise to me....

oldannyboy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am

[quA senior bureaucrat of the government ote="BrooklyBOMgal"]

I posted this earlier but the thread got deleted. I am guessing its wrong to post negative news about some airlines here on A.net unless its AI.
Anyways here's the link https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 640814.ece
Hopefully the thread won't get deleted.[/quote]

..Sorry..it's the "Senior Government Bureaucrat" I am not too comfortable with. There's probably a lot more to the story. Indian Government Bureaucrats are generally very 'entitled' and arrogant people to deal with.

bgm

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
let's not get carried away.

Perhaps you should take your own advice. You clearly have an axe to grind, not to mention a rather large chip on your shoulder judging by the attitude in your posts in this thread.

Having taken hundreds of BA flights, I find it very hard to believe that the flight attendant said what was alleged. They are however very strict about all passengers being seated for takeoff, and if someone is not, they will inform the captain that the cabin is not secured. This is standard procedure for many airlines.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am

bgm wrote:
BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
let's not get carried away.

Perhaps you should take your own advice. You clearly have an axe to grind, not to mention a rather large chip on your shoulder judging by the attitude in your posts in this thread.

Having taken hundreds of BA flights, I find it very hard to believe that the flight attendant said what was alleged. They are however very strict about all passengers being seated for takeoff, and if someone is not, they will inform the captain that the cabin is not secured. This is standard procedure for many airlines.

Do u really need to get personal?

If someone is not seated, they should have informed the captain that the cabin is not secured. There was no need to shout at a three year old.

lhrsfosyd

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am

Another low life seeking attention.

The child would not sit in the designated seat and the mother insisted the child sits on her laps for take off. They could not get the child not sit in the seat and buckle up so they got thrown off for violating safety rules. They could have been green or Smerfs and they still would have been thrown out.

Quite funny to accuse BA of racism against Indians as half of Heathrow ground staff seems to be South Asian.

bgm

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:08 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Do u really need to get personal?

You made it personal by inserting your personal bias and agenda into the discussion.

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
If someone is not seated, they should have informed the captain that the cabin is not secured. There was no need to shout at a three year old.

If the child is screaming and crying, I don't think whispering gently to the child would yield any results, do you? It's the parent's fault for not having their child properly secured into his seat in the first place.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

lhrsfosyd

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am

Ah right do you know who the Head of Heathrow is?

gabo787

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
I am guessing its wrong to post negative news about some airlines here on A.net unless its AI.

Just because of that I can tell that you have some score to settle, And that you are biased in your comments...

The same way I don’t jump to defend cabin crew I don’t do it either for complaining passengers, as there is always two sides of the story. I really doubt that a BA crew member did that, but if it happened to be true I’m sure it will be dealt quickly and swiftly by the airline as this is absolutely against their principles.

It would be good to know why you believe 100% the family side.
Last edited by gabo787 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am

lhrsfosyd wrote:
Ah right do you know who the Head of Heathrow is?

Still continuing with that meaningless logic are we?
Air India is a national embarrassment

Eirules

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

Maybe I’m missing something here...

Maybe they were a government official, maybe not. Maybe the crew member threatened to throw them out the window, probably not though.

But the child wasn’t seated before take off and that was solely the responsibility of the parents. If the crew had ignored it and something had happened then BA really would have been at fault. At the end of the day, people are responsible for their own behavior and if they bring a minor with them, they’re responsible for them too. Simple. Whatever allegedly was said (or shouted) after the fact is really beside the point. Control your child and there’s no need for anyone else to get involved
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

lutfi

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am

Why are they writing to the Indian minister for civil aviation for a flight that occured London-Berlin? About as useful as writing to the Japanese MOT about a flight from Chicago to Los Angeles!

qf789

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am

Please stick to the topic. Keep personal commentary out of the discussion. Finally all users are entitled to their point of view without being accused of racists. It is getting quite tiring and to be honest quite pathetic that those expressing their opinions are labelled as racists simply because a certain ethnicity is involved. The moderators will not tolerate this sort of behavior.
Forum Moderator

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

lhrsfosyd wrote:
Quite funny to accuse BA of racism against Indians as half of Heathrow ground staff seems to be South Asian.

Rephrasing since my previous comment was deleted: You can employ people of certain ethnicity and still be racist towards them.
And I am not accusing BA or Heathrow or any user of racism here.
Last edited by unrave on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 am

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 330048.cms

This article has more contents from the letter:

The family then made its own arrangement to travel from London City airport to London. “…the crew member made racist remarks and used words like ‘bloody’ about Indians…. I request to have the matter investigated and take strictest possible action,” he concludes.

BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 am

Eirules wrote:

Maybe they were a government official, maybe not. Maybe the crew member threatened to throw them out the window, probably not though.

But the child wasn’t seated before take off and that was solely the responsibility of the parents. If the crew had ignored it and something had happened then BA really would have been at fault. At the end of the day, people are responsible for their own behavior and if they bring a minor with them, they’re responsible for them too. Simple. Whatever allegedly was said (or shouted) after the fact is really beside the point. Control your child and there’s no need for anyone else to get involved

You are indeed missing something. The child was first in the lap of the mother but when the FA acted in the most appropriate manner (as many here want to believe), the mother managed to put the child in the designated seat and fastened the seat belt. It was the continuous crying of the child which resulted in the deplaning. Please read the entire article before jumping to conclusions.

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am

Such news does nothing to improve the image of BA among VFR Indian families who have shifted to ME3 en masse, cheesy promotional videos notwithstanding.

mast2407

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am

Why is the word bloody racist against Indians?
Also, there are 3 sides to every story. India is a huge market for BA, I’d imagine they’re more than willing to deal with this as amicably as possible, lest they loose a substantial chunk of the market share to the sub continent.
And a word for the OP, perhaps try lay off the keyboard and let discussion happen, unless you were there, (and if you were, you should say so), you also don’t know what happened.

evomutant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 am

packmedic wrote:

Agreed. This is BA Long Haul. An FA getting more animated than "just above comatose" and speaking louder than a mumble? That would be a first.

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:50 am

mast2407 wrote:

Bloody <insert race/ethnicity/nationality/religion> is definitely derogatory.

strfyr51

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

Don't get so defensive! It's NOT like it Hasn't been done Before. Maybe you should have to verify the story.
Unless the kid was a Brat!

scbriml

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
It was the continuous crying of the child which resulted in the deplaning.

This is clearly nonsense. Kids and babies are crying on just about every flight I've ever taken. Nobody has been deplaned only because their kid was crying.

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Please read the entire article before jumping to conclusions.

Says the person who jumped to the conclusion that everything in the article (the only source, strangely) is correct and true. :scratchchin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BrooklyBOMgal
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

evomutant wrote:
packmedic wrote:

Agreed. This is BA Long Haul. An FA getting more animated than "just above comatose" and speaking louder than a mumble? That would be a first.

Pardon my ignorance but LCY-TXL is long haul?

evomutant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
evomutant wrote:
packmedic wrote:

Don't worry, was just a weak joke about BA's pretty awful cabin service.

mast2407

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:16 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
evomutant wrote:
packmedic wrote:

It’s short haul.

Why so defensive? If you let discussion happen, it would be a far more enjoyable thread, and an interesting one. Instead you’re hellbent on squashing any form of discussion. You started the thread, great. Now let discussion happen. This is after all a discussion board.

mjoelnir

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am

mast2407 wrote:
Also, there are 3 sides to every story. India is a huge market for BA, I’d imagine they’re more than willing to deal with this as amicably as possible, lest they loose a substantial chunk of the market share to the sub continent.
And a word for the OP, perhaps try lay off the keyboard and let discussion happen, unless you were there, (and if you were, you should say so), you also don’t know what happened.

And the posters springing instantly into action defending an airline have also not been there, but assume that any complaint is not right, as airlines and their staff never do such things.

MrBren

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:26 am

British phlegm is just pure fantasy.

hardheid

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

I think that based on the article, we can all agree that the parents were unable to discipline their own male child, regardless of the claimed behavior of the BA crew. That kid is going to become one difficult disagreeable adult as a result.

mast2407

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 am

mjoelnir wrote:
mast2407 wrote:

And the posters springing instantly into action defending an airline have also not been there, but assume that any complaint is not right, as airlines and their staff never do such things.

I didn’t defend anyone, I said BA would likely be wanting to deal with this as fast and amicably as possible given their presence in India.

Can I suggest that the mods lock this thread down, it’s not healthy. The OP has quashed any form of discussion from taking place, and that is what this website is about: good, honest and open discussion. That’s not happening here, so I propose that this thread either gets locked or deleted.

dtw2hyd

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am

BA will pay a hefty fine in India. This FA picked the wrong soft target.

Wasn't there another recent incident of BA FA's rant on snapchat about Nigerians?

XLA2008

On topic, I highly doubt a crew member said this, just going on the story reported in the article it doesn’t add up to what happens onboard an aircraft, for a start if the child was crying and the aircraft was already taxiing to the runway, the crew at that point would most likely be seated, and if seated would have already reported cabin secure, it is highly unlikely at that point that a crew member would get out of their seat to walk down the cabin to shout such a remark to an upset child, it just doesn’t add up. The only reason a crew member would have to get out of their jump seat at that point would be because the cabin was no longer secure a crying child does not equal an unsecured cabin, if however the child was visibly out of their seat then it would warrant them vacating the jump seat, any normal and well trained crew member would tell the passengers to secure their child otherwise the aircraft cannot depart, if they refused or the child again got out of the seat by which point would be down to the parents not having control of the child, then it would warrant returning to the gate to offload the passengers.

I personally do not believe a BA crew member would say that, and I also do not believe for a second they were offloaded due to a screaming child... you do realize these crew fly from London to places like Orlando/Miami the flights are packed with parents taking screaming kids to Disneyland, they will be well versed in dealing and coping with screaming children on flights.

Sounds like the passengers in question made up the story to make themselves look better in a situation that they were in the wrong. Either that or the story was made up by the news, both are more plausible than a screaming child warranted costing the airline a ton of money to return to the gate, apply for a new departure slot, potentially a new flight path, fees for delays and disruption to their later services on that aircraft.

My opinion, the child was screaming, and the parents instead of making their child remain seated decided they needed to take the child from the seat and place him/her in their lap to “console” them, the crew told them they can’t do that and the child needs to be seated, at which point either the parents seated the child to appease the crew only to remove the child when the crew had gone (most likely scenario, as most people think we crew won’t realize) or they point blank argued that the child was crying and that they wouldn’t seat him/her, making excuses as to why the child shouldn’t be seated... either scenario as played out could and most likely would result in them being offloaded, as they pose a risk to the safe operation of flight by not being seated and belted for departure, and lord knows what would have happened on landing. Either way, the parents only saw it one way and that was that their child was crying and the crew wouldn’t adhere to what THEY wanted thus they were “kicked” off because of their crying child. Many years of being crew leads me to think that is exactly the true story of this article!
Last edited by XLA2008 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
| A.J-B |

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

unrave

CARST wrote:

BTW why do such clearly false stories get published at all?

i don't think the story cannot be dismissed as 'clearly false' by someone who wasn't present there.

mast2407

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:39 am

unrave wrote:
CARST wrote:

i don't think the story cannot be dismissed as 'clearly false' by someone who wasn't present there.

Similarly it can’t be verified as being accurate by someone who wasn’t present there.
Last edited by mast2407 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:39 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

You'd be surprised that how many people actually do lie to get money from the airlines. I know of one story where a pax had complained that the airline lost her bag filled with, according to her, expensive items worth thousands. While the airline compensated her for her loss, further investigation including checks of CCTV found that she actually had claimed her bag, and threw it in a trash can.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Wasn't there another recent incident of BA FA's rant on snapchat about Nigerians?

Oh yeah. To the many posters who have defended BA here purely on the belief that such a thing will never be done by a BA crew member, there is clearly some precedence for deplorable behaviour by BA crew.

Link to the incident: https://qz.com/africa/1087679/british-a ... nigerians/
(Kudos to BA for taking prompt action though)

Eirules

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Eirules wrote:

You are indeed missing something. The child was first in the lap of the mother but when the FA acted in the most appropriate manner (as many here want to believe), the mother managed to put the child in the designated seat and fastened the seat belt. It was the continuous crying of the child which resulted in the deplaning. Please read the entire article before jumping to conclusions.

What exactly am I missing? I read the same article you did. Neither you nor I were there so therefore the only discussion is on how accurate the article is factually (neither of us can answer that) and to then discuss possible anomalies / alternatives. You put forward your view, I put forward mine. Either or neither may be correct. Just because you started the thread doesn’t make yours fact however. And clearly by your subsequent posts you’ve decided BA and the crew were entirely at fault and there was a racial undertone against Indians. You’re entitled to that view but I don’t agree with it. End of
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

mast2407

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

unrave wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Oh yeah. To the many posters who have defended BA here purely on the belief that such a thing will never be done by a BA crew member, there is clearly some precedence for deplorable behaviour by BA crew.

Link to the incident: https://qz.com/africa/1087679/british-a ... nigerians/
(Kudos to BA for taking prompt action though)

There’s precedence for it, that doesn’t make it true. More likely, perhaps. True: no.

unrave

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am

mast2407 wrote:
unrave wrote:
CARST wrote:

Similarly it can’t be verified as being accurate by someone who wasn’t present there.

I am not claiming it is accurate. Nor does the newspaper that published this.

mast2407

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am

unrave wrote:
mast2407 wrote:
unrave wrote:

I am not claiming it is accurate. Nor does the newspaper that published this.

You keep slating posters for suggesting there’s more to the story. It’s the same thing.

Usually when comments get posted on this site about human behavior, there is always more to the story than Is ever portrayed in the media. The media aren’t looking for the truth, they’re looking for a story.

Usually, there is always more to the story, usually we only ever hear the “victim” impact story. Usually we never hear of the follow up.

There is always three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truths. Rarely will all three agree wth each other.