sdkualeb

Self Check In

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:39 am

How do you feel about self check in. Do you or do you not like them or would you rather have the personal service still ? Are the airlines pushing you too much too use then ?

luv2fly

RE: Self Check In

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:44 am

Sign of the times I believe. More and more people use them, less and less real people are needed. Thing about it, you now check in on line prior to your flight, print your own boarding pass, and then drop off your luggage at a self serve kiosk and go to the gate, you never have to deal with anyone until the gate agent boards the plane and tears off your boarding pass, and maybe wishes you a good flight.
You can cut the irony with a knife

alexchao

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:44 am

I like self-service check-in. Although the service isn't as personal, self-service check-in really helps reduce the time I spend waiting in line.

Cory6188

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:46 am

Self checkin is much, much faster than regular checkin with an agent. For example, CO's online checkin takes only a few minutes and can be done leisurely at home, saving you the time of waiting in line at the airport for an agent.

CO even has a dedicated line at EWR for a Continental.com Bag Drop, so the line moves fast because everyone is only dropping off their bags.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:57 am

I really like self checkin as it frees up agents for times when I and others legitimately need them. Those (like most of us) that fly constantly on fairly uncomplicated itineraries with a piece or 2 of small, light checked luggage have no need to wait in line with those who need to purchase/pay for tickets or do anything else requiring an agent.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

BA747400

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:08 pm

hmmmm, good question. I do like the self check-in due to the lack of waiting in lines...However, I am also very much against it:
Recently, in MAN, I had the opportunity to use the self service check-in but opted to use the more "interactive" approach. Although my main persuation was to swoon my way into a bulk-head seat, (hey, it worked!) I also do very much enjoy interacting with airline staff. I find it to be all part of the travel experience. I hate to accept the inevitable reality that computers are replacing people; its convenient but so impersonal. It also brings about job losses and often leaves PAX questions without an answer; such as, can I change my seat, how full is the plane, how much for an upgrade?

Its good, but when you truly think about it, its just as bad.

Regards,
Mike

4jaded

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:11 pm

I travel CO frequently now and the self checkin services they offer are the bomb! You can change seats get upgrades etc etc. No lines no hassle and no chance that you may get someone having a "bad day". While agents will always need to be there it is a great thing and one less opprotunity for a service failure.

planenutz

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:12 pm

Its convenient if your traveling with hand baggage only. I beleive you still have to interact with an agent when dropping your bags so that they can be tagged etc. (at least in the US). I've had mixed experiences:

When I flew BA from LHR to HEL I used the self-service check-in at Terminal 1. It was a bit confusing and I probably spent more time in line waiting for the machine than I would have through check-in with an agent. You can use the BA machines even if you don't have an electronic ticket. You remove your own ticket coupon (after checking to make sure it has a magnetic strip on the back) and stick it into the machine (face up and in the right direction). The machine prints out your boarding pass. You then tale your baggage to the drop off counter where an agent takes your boarding pass, slides it through a machine, and the baggage tags print out and he/she tags your bags and places then on the belt. It seems to me, that if I had just gone directly to an agent, I wouldnt have to have gone through this two step process. Plus there were lines at both points, at the self service machine, and at the baggage drop-off.

When I flew SAS LHR-OSL, I used the self service check in at OSL. This was an entirely different experience. There was no line at the machine. I checked in with an electronic ticket, and then when the screen asks how many bags you will be checking, the machine actually prints out the baggage tags whcih you place on your luggage and then put on the belt. That was very quick and efficient and there was no reason to see an agent.

Not all who wander are lost....

ckfred

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:32 pm

I do like self-service check-in, but the airlines need to change some procedures to make it work better.

AA has a policy that children under 2 can get a seat for 50% of what the parent pays. But, you can't buy a ticket on AA.Com. So, I had to buy my wife's ticket and mine online to get the web fare, then call American to get a ticket for my 6-month old.

When I went to check in, the kiosk could only pull up the reservations for my wife and me, even though all 3 tickets had been purchased on the same credit card. So the agent who tagged the bags had to then pull up my son's reservation and print his boarding pass.

Needless to say, we went straight to an agent on our return. If AA wants people to use the kiosks, make it easier to get all tickets on-line.

Just my gripe for the day.

COAB767

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:33 pm

NW in MKE has this system where passengers can actually tag there own luggage, after they do they just hand it to the agent and off they go.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

ASTROJET707

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:47 pm

As an CO Gold I do not like self check-in, whether I am on a $300 TICKET OR A $2300 TICKET. CO and NW are the worst at forcing passengers to use the kiosks. I prefer to deal with a human not a machine. I understand some people love the the e-kiosks. To each his own. But,

I check myself in
I bring my own food(no biggie anyway)
I pick up my bag(s)

I find AA and DL are more than happy to check me in the old fashioned way, never a hassle. I understand NW let go 100 agents at MSP attributable to kiosks. The station manager's(NW) bonus in BOS is based on %passengers using self check-in. Last week a CO agent told me that 2 new kiosks are equivalent to 3 employees.

My COMMENT TO the airlines, STOP ALL THE BULLSHIT THAT "WE PROVIDE EKIOSKS TO MAKE YOUR TRAVEL EXPERIENCE BETTER"...IT IS TO REDUCE STAFFING AND SAVE MONEY. As a result I try and fly DL and AA all the time
because they give me what I want.

AJ707

scottysair

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:52 pm

I am using with self service check in at the ticket counter with DL & WN, too. I can get with their boarding pass and go through at the checkpoint. I will used with those kiosks check in at the ticket counter all of the times.

[Edited 2004-06-07 05:53:38]

Cactus739

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:59 pm

I prefer self check in... especially since many airlines started internet check in. I've checked in online at Southwest, Alaska and US Airways. Onlly problem I had was when I was printing my US Airways boarding passes and my printer shut down on me.. I had to go see an agent at the airport and got new passes quickly.

Alaska's kiosk was also kind enough to tell me that my PHX-SEA flight was about 2 hours behind schedule.... I thought that was a nice touch.

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

scottysair

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:06 pm

Yeah, I am really like them with these kiosks check in at the ticket counter and some of those airport will not have kiosks in the cities. Besides, I am take care with all of those kiosks check in counter all of the time and when I am traveling out of ATL or PHX.

Delta767300ER

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:13 pm

Self Check In is much better. I used Delta's Kiosks in ATL last year and I was on my way in about 3 minutes. No hassles. A+

-Delta767300ER

kevin752

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:15 pm

I found that the self checkin Machines are really fun and cool at the same time. The machines are hreat when you do not have any bags at all. I also like the way the machines are avaliable in LAS. They have a circle of them and you can check in for your flight using one machine for many different airlines. Eventhough I like the machines I do enjoy talking to a check in agent. I like to talk to the ones who work at Lh. They are very nice and pleasant to talk to . Now Lufthansa has E-tickets on international flights so it is a matter of time when they will recieve machines too.
Kevin752
"Keep Climbing"

scseay

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:29 pm

I commute weekly on CO for my job and check in every time on line. It prompts you to print your boarding passes, but what I choose to do is go ahead and check in, then instead of printing, I make sure I have my confirmation number, then when I go to the kiosk to check bags, it gives you the option to re-print boarding passes. I do this every time so that I don't have to deal with the gate agents who don't have bar code readers (the hubs and busy CO airports have the readers -- the others have to tear the passes that you print). That way they can tear the perforated part that is printed by the kiosk. It's faster for them and me!!! See if the other airlines that let you check in on-line will let you re-print your passes as CO does...

COAB767

Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:34 pm

NW also lets you check in online, then re-print your boarding passes at the E service center.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

flyingKangaroo

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:40 pm

Well, living here in Delhi there is no self check in that I know of for flights here. I have only been able to use a self check in when I was in MEL in January. It was QF's new check in facility, and it was great! I was able to get seats right up the front, ensure the FF miles had gone through see what aircraft type, it was great! They did have a women behind the computer, she tagged the baggage once you checked in and stuff.

flyingKangaroo
QANTAS-- The Spirit of Australia

scottysair

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:08 am

You should need use check in at the ticket counter and those not have one of kiosks machine at the ticket counter with some of airport.