avroarrow

Seattle Museum Of Flight Opinions Etc.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:28 am

In August some friends and I will be going to Vancouver for 4 days, but while there we were planning on dropping south of the border to take in the Museum of Flight and hopefully a Boeing plant tour. My questions are; can both of these places be visited in a day? And where is a good hotel to stay at overnight before going back the next morning?
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

Vorticity

RE: Seattle Museum Of Flight Opinions Etc.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:31 pm

The standard Boeing tour at the widebody assembly plant in Everett doesn't take very long. It's then maybe a 1 hour+ (depending on traffic) drive to MoF as I recall. You could do both in a day, but it depends on how long you like to stay, and how much detail you look into them.
Thermodynamics and english units don't mix...

roseflyer

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:06 pm

You can certainly do both in a day as long as you start your day early in Vancouver. The drive is about 3 hours to Everett. If you get there in the morning, you could probably get on a 9,10, or 11am tour. Then you can have lunch and make it down to the Museum of Flight near downtown for the entire afternoon. The Museum of Flight is just a few miles south of downtown at BFI. After you get your fix of aviation fun, I would recommend spending the night in nearby downtown, however it can be a little pricey. Staying up near Everett would be cheaper. Seattle is expensive, but is awesome for aviation.

Museum of flight and Boeing in Everett can definitely be done in a day, but make sure you can get tickets for the Boeing plant tour because they sell out early in the day. I would do Boeing first for this reason, though the Museum can get crowded, so I would recommend going on a weekday over a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Also remember that the main border crossing at I-5 can get really nasty with lines (particularly entering the US) taking upwards of two hours. I recommend finding one of the less congested border crossings (there are a couple to the east of the main one 20+ miles) or getting there early in the morning.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

avroarrow

Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Ed
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

767-332ER

Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:47 am

I went to Seattle in 2000 and that's exactly what we had done...go to Everett in the morning, the tour is not as long as you hope for it to be, then we headed down to BFI. One thing that I really enjoyed as my family allowed for me to stay at Everett for a little while taking pictures of the flightline as we were able to appreciate some Atlas' 744F's and a few others. The museum of flight is great and so far, it's the only place in the U.S. that I've seen that have Schabak models for sale at their gift shop. Enjoy it!!!!
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!