airbus3801

Female Pilot Make You Feel Uncomfortable?

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:16 am

On my flight on April 1, 2004 PHX-LHR, I had a female pilot and she handled the aircraft very well. We took off into a thunderstorm after being delayed for about 10 minutes. She held the plane very well compared to other flights that I have had on large aircraft in the same type of weather. However, when her voice came on the PA and people heard that she was female, some people started whispering about how they felt uncomfortable. Does a female pilot make you feel uncomfortable.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

CougarAviator

RE: Female Pilot Make You Feel Uncomfortable?

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:22 am

WOW.....I've never thought about it....I really can't answer that...
Failure is not an option.....

mikedlayer

Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:15 am

Doesn't really make me feel uncomfortable....they're probably much more trained to fly the aircraft than a random man off the streets (I hope!!) lol. We had a female pilot going to Palma once, when she came on the PA there was so much murmering....I think one lady wanted to get off the aircraft at the front lol.

I don't know why...women can be just as good at piloting as men, as long as they have the same training and qualifications. Theres just not very many in the industry so I guess its why people wonder about these things...

Mike

citationjet

Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:43 am

Absolutely not. In fact I think it is great.
Its the male flight attendants that I worry about.....
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

767-332ER

Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:44 am

As long as she has two hands, two feet, a brain and gone through all the proper training...no it doesn't face me in the least.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

freshlove1

Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:32 pm

Nope not at all. We have several female pilots and they are better then some of our male pilots. They always are very professional about what they do and I have never had a problem with any of them. Would I get on a plane that they were flying, most certainly I would, I trust their training and their judgement just as I would one of our male pilots.

A330Fan1

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:20 pm

hell no

as long as she can fly the plane, no prob.

-A330Fan1

worldoftui

Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:50 pm

I have no problem with a woman flying the plane.
Having said that, I am prepared to wait that much longer once landed as she repeatedly pulls onto, and reverses off of the stand whilst trying to "park" the aircraft! Big grin

Mark

usair320

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:24 pm

Ive had a femail F/O on US flight 2 PHL-FCO she actully loooked like a man(lol j/k) and she handled it great (i dont know if she was the flying pilot) that A330 handled great though.

QIguy24

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:33 pm

We had a female pilot in Cimber Air once. That was great and she was great!!
And I honesty think that it's redicilous, that some people are getting scared to fly because it's women.
Where the hell is the difference? They both get exactly the same training and has to get thru the same procedures.
The only difference is the man has a penis and the females has a vagina!

worldoftui

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:44 am

I was joking on my post by the way! hehehe Big grin

Mark

vatveng

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:16 am

I think one lady wanted to get off the aircraft at the front

I find it interesting (and funny) that female pilots make female passengers nervous. I guess some people, men and women alike, still assume that ALL pilots are male and ALL flight attendants are still called "stewardesses". I was on a flight not too long ago with 2 male flight attendants, and I heard one person wonder aloud "who's flying the plane if both pilots are serving drinks?" Probably when a nervous pax hears a woman's voice from the cockpit they assume that a "stewardess" is flying the plane.

IDISA

Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:08 am

"Absolutely not. In fact I think it is great.
Its the male flight attendants that I worry about....."

Funny!! I agree 100%  Laugh out loud

elcapi1980

Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:18 am

absolutamente no ....not at all....
woman are really great pilots...sometimes better than men
I love you barranquilla!!!!!

kilavoud

Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:52 am

Women can pilot a country with millions of people , why not a plane with just hundreds of people ?

Cheers. Kilavoud.

KAUSpilot

Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:45 am

Having trained both male and female pilots, I believe women can make fine civilian pilots. Let's face it, men and women are different....both genders have advantages and disadvantages in the cockpit. Women are usually quick learners when it comes to talking on the radio, using checklists, and communicating with other crewmembers. However, their male counterparts outshine them in the areas of aircraft control, situational awareness, and, oh yes, NAVIGATION. For some reason my female students always have trouble figuring out where they are.

I'm not saying women can't do that second set of tasks well, they just don't pick up on it quite as quickly as men (usually). Again, there are always exceptions....

kalakaua

Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:14 am

"Absolutely not. In fact I think it is great.
Its the male flight attendants that I worry about....."

Funny!! I agree 100%, as well!
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

jorge1812

Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:34 pm

Oh yes I feel very uncomfortable with a woman in the cockpit....oopps, that's the wrong century here (not the 17th).

I definitely don't feel unsafe in a plane with one or two woman in the cockpit but experienced the same Airbus3801 told. People start whispering and asking if it's possible a woman can fly a plane. Even the same goes sometimes in the bus...

What a world we live in?

SlamClick

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:08 am

Hell! Females have been making me uncomfortable since I was thirteen years old! But as pilots? Gotta say, gender is way down the list of things I use to judge a pilot. Somewhere below shoeshine I think.

As one female pilots likes to say: "With what part of your anatomy do you fly a plane?

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

LFutia

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:05 am

nope i dont feel uncomfortable at all! i think its nice that women are pilots and i also think that they are trained just as well as men are. I also like to hear female pilots on the P/A too!
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

zrb2

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 pm

However, their male counterparts outshine them in the areas of aircraft control, situational awareness, and, oh yes, NAVIGATION. For some reason my female students always have trouble figuring out where they are.

Hmmmm, makes sense. Men are genetically programmed to never ask for directions.....we always have to figure out where we are and how to get to our destination. Evolution has made us better navigators sarcasm

CarbHeatIn

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:47 pm

I flew SFO to HNL on UA in March on a 757. Female Captain and a Female F/O. Uneventful.

Also flew a UA 744 in First from IAD to LHR just before last Christmas, and the Female Captain came around the First Class Cabain before departure, wearing a Santa hat and offering everyone a chocolate to the words "Would you like a kiss from the Captain"!!

DABZF

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:48 am

Why do we even have this discussion? If the person is trained and qualified as an airline pilot what difference does it make which sex she/he is!?
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

AGrayson514

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:10 am

I just figure that women seem to pay more attention to detail and such, so that should make for a more pleasant flight than anything else.

~ Andrew Grayson
Give a little bit...

Douglas7Seas

Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:52 pm

Yes.

F
I
L
L
E
R

John
Be different; Be nice.

Catatonic

Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:25 am

It is a fact that women are better drivers than men (insurance companies can verify this) And i would say statistically there have been more plane crashes with men pilots than with female pilots. Speaking as the person with the greatest fear of flying on A. Net I think i would prefer a female in the pilots seat than a man!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

Jaspike

Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:54 am

Absolutely not. In fact I think it is great.
Its the male flight attendants that I worry about.....

I totally agree! There was this dodgy air steward on an Airtours flight a few years ago... gave me a few funny looks.. not good!  Smile

Tom

airplanetire

Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:04 pm

I don't know if I have ever had a female pilot, but the idea of it doesn't make me feel any different than having a male pilot. In essence, it does not bother in the least bit. I suspect that women pilots might even be better due to the examples listed above of people being so uncomfortable with them. That puts pressure on a female pilot to show that women can do that job just as men can. I might be full of crap, but it's just an idea.  Smile

-Airplanetire

BMAbound

Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:19 am

Catatonic,

I doubt females are more skilled drivers than men, but as they are more careful and don't feel the need to speed test their vehicles quite as often as men do, they make a better statistic.

As far as the question concerns, I'm gonna go with the flow... Why would a female be worse? She's able to read the emergency checklist, right?

A "funny" story regarding chicks in the cockpit -

About a decade ago, a few SAS pilots temporarily worked for Swiss, some of them being women. On numerous occasions, upon passenger boarding in Casablanca (different culture), male pax looked into the cockpit, did a 180 and walked up the jetway again... Cool, ehh?

Johan
Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured

N6376M

Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:25 am

Given that we live in a very male dominated world and the senior pilot ranks are full of good ole boy carry overs from a previous era, I'd imagine that any female that has risen through the ranks to become a pilot/FO has more than proven her stuff. I'd think that since she's under the microscope with people looking at things to criticize she probably has to do it better than her "average" male colleague.

It wouldn't bother me for a single second to see a female at the front (nor for that matter a black or an Asian [unless it's KE and then all bets are off] or a . . . . .). Pilots have to prove themselves to exceedingly high standards - standard which are colorblind and gender neutral. If they pass, that's good enough for me.

Now, male flight attendants make me uncomfortable - but that's another story.

jake056

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:09 am

No way. Women have all of the required "parts" to operate an aircraft---brain, hands, feet, etc. The fact that anyone would even give the gender of the pilot a second thought seems so out of date as to be surreal.

NOW, if we're talking about driving a city bus or taxi cab---that is another story........... (Just kidding!!!)

CRJ900

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:43 pm

Definetly not!

I had a female F/O fly me home safely this Monday. She was in charge of all announcements from cockpit, and she had a very pleasant and comforting voice. Most pax thought it was really cool. She'll be a great Captain one day, I'm sure.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

w_a_s_p_i_e

Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:48 am

It doesnt bother me at all as a passenger. However, in extreme circumstances, would a man not be better. Purely because men are naturally stronger, and just say for example that something was not working or something broke and brute force was required, a man would be able to push/pull better because most men are normally physically stronger. But as I said, it does not bother me at all really.

[Edited 2004-07-09 00:49:18]

aviationwiz

Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:43 pm

They have all gone through the same training, so, no, a female pilot would not make me feel uncomfortable.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

AA767400

Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:11 am

OK, People! Why does a Male Flight Attendant make you uncomfortable? Is it because every gay male wants to have you? Or are you uncomfortable with your own sexuality? Just because some one is gay, does not mean that they want to jump in bed with you. And if some one did, then why not feel flattered that they find you attractive. This is why this world is a long way from being free of homophobia.
"The low fares airline."

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:17 pm

My neighbor's sister is a 737 Captain for United, and their father is a retired United Captain. Their is a funny story he always tells. On their father's last flight, United arranged it so that his sister was the F/O. A lot of their family was aboard the flight and when his sister announced to the cabin the special occasion, an old lady leaned over and made some ignorant/worrisome/stupid comment to my neighbor (not knowing he was related to the crew) about the pilot being female.

As for me, heck no...no problem at all. Heck a woman taught me how to fly! One of my instructors was a woman. She's now flying CRJs for Skywest.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:16 pm

Well, let's put it this way: Both men and women can be great pilots. Both men and women can be horrible pilots. It just depends on the individual.

Personally, some of the best flight instruction that I have ever recieved has been from female instructors, so seeing a woman in an airline cockpit doesn't bother me in the least.

'Speed

airbus3801

Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:29 am

As a response to
It doesn't bother me at all as a passenger. However, in extreme circumstances, would a man not be better. Purely because men are naturally stronger, and just say for example that something was not working or something broke and brute force was required, a man would be able to push/pull better because most men are normally physically stronger. But as I said, it does not bother me at all really.

The physical strength would not be an attribute because in those types of situations, strength can jump considerably due to a release of hormones.

CougarAviator

Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:30 am

After much careful thought, I'd have to say no.

I received my PPL training from a very competent female pilot.
Failure is not an option.....

EGFF

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:26 pm

No, not really ... back last year when i took a flight with Flybe (BHX-EDI) the Captain and F/O were female ... what a flightdeck ... and i even got up for a photo  Big thumbs up
Regards,
Shaun
All together or not at all

SafetyDude

Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:44 am

Absolutely not. The 739 that Boeing sent over to Farnborough was piloted by a woman. There was a picture of the plane and crew on Yahoo, but I can no longer find the image.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

AndersNilsson

Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:48 pm

No. I trust any pilot until they show any sign of bad judgment. Any pilot
knows more about flying than I do, so I trust them to fly me to my destination.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old and bold pilots.

Anders
Airliner photography is not a crime.

MEA-707

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:03 pm

I read a funny story about Horizon Air a few years ago. They then still operated Swearingen-Fairchild Metro's with 19 pax capacity. One day the management got a complaint from a passenger "the stewardess disappeared immediately in the cockpit to chit chat with the pilots and didn't bother to give us any service." Horizon checked the flight which appeared to be operated by a Metro, staffed without flight attendant but with a female pilot !

Has any research been done if women are better pilots? I know female drivers make less accidents (and have lower insurance fees accordingly). I know the Valujet DC-9 which crashed in 1996 had a female pilot but of course she wasn't to blame for it.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Delta767300ER

Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:09 pm

No, Not at all. I dont care if the Pilot is male/female/transexual as long as they have the proper training and can get the job done. I also think some females look sexy in uniform.

-Delta767300ER

777ER
Crew

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:35 pm

No having a female pilot or female co-pilot does not make me feel uncomfortable because it is always a really nice change having females in charge of the plane.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net