ConcordeLoss
Topic Author

If A Major Airline Had To Go, Which?

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:10 am

Which one would you like to see vanish, and why?
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

elwood64151

RE: If A Major Airline Had To Go, Which?

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:12 am

I think it's obvious that US and UA are in the worst condition right now. While I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs, I think US is in the worst overall position, with UA and DL not far behind. AA is hurting, but it's managable for now, and NW and CO are almost out of the woods.

Anyway, I think the most likely is US.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

NIKV69

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:14 am

Has to be US. Let it be done already. Delta will probably be right behind. I like UA and Love CO! AA Will survive and then along with the LCC we will start to see some stability.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

kcrwflyer

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:15 am

I consider WN major. so. I would like to see WN go. If and only IF i had to pick. I wouldnt want to see anyone loose their jobs, or any airports to lose business.

NIKV69

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:24 am

WN Is not going anywhere, I mean WN has been the most profitable airline going. Their business model is solid and they stick to it, they have not had one fatality in over thirty years, their fleet is solid and well maintained and their fares are the best. They will continue to be at the top for a long time.

VgnAtl747

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:27 am

hmmm, if we could get rid of Southwest's incredibly low fares for a few months, it would certainly help the other majors recover some needed revenue. Obviously that won't happen, but the LCC's have definetly played a key role in the problems of the other majors. That, and the fact that the major's just don't understand cost control at all.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

luv2fly

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:31 am

US true is not doing well, tho like the energizer bunny they going and going and going...... Now we never thought the sky's would be without the likes of TW and PA, so why then think that DL and UA could not be gone one day.
You can cut the irony with a knife

aviationwiz

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:47 am

I wouldn't miss AA or UA, but I don't want to see any of the employee's loosing their jobs.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:52 am

I would say U.S Air because they hold the least amount of important routes, which vary from other airlines, and they are one of the smallest in the U.S, which are considered legacy. I think that they would be the least noticed if they went.

ushermittwoch

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:07 pm

I'd love to see AA go.
I absolutely HATE their livery.
Their 777's are unmatched in economy though, when it comes to legroom.

If it's not for looks, I couldn't care less if CO vanished, since it's the only major I have never flown on. All the others were decent in some way.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

concord977

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:14 pm

Isn't HP a 'major' ??

That would get my vote. I have nothing against them whatsoever. But unless you live in PHX, they aren't dominant many other places.

Of AA, NW, UA, US, CO and WN ... I would have to choose CO. It's not so much about the airline as it is a thing I have about Houston. If they moved their IAH hub to another city, I'd be a big fan.

No info

ua777222

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:27 pm

I would have to say US. They seem to have no real advantage over other carriers other than the star alliance. UA still has a lot of life, NW is fine, CO is borderline right now, AA is great, and WN as always is great.

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

LHcapt2007

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:45 pm

I'd love to see AA go.

Good reason

I'd love to see LH go.
I HATE their livery too.

LHcapt2007 Wow!
TNCM

Dirkou

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:46 pm

UAL could go and leave room for Frontier to grow from Denver.
And in ORD who would fit the space they had created? JBU could have a look...

kcrwflyer

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:51 pm

"Their business model is solid and they stick to it, they have not had one fatality in over thirty years, their fleet is solid and well maintained and their fares are the best."

They dont have sonsistantly lower fares. their FUN fares are amusing, but anything else is close to a major price.

"I'd love to see AA go.
I absolutely HATE their livery."

What the...??

flyingdoctorwu

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:53 pm

It seems as if people are answering this question from one of two viewpoints:

1) Which airline is financially in the worse shape and could go under?

Which most people seem to agree is US

-or-

2) Which airline do I hate the most

Which really is irrelevant.

Chris

airbus3801

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:57 pm

I would like to see Southwest go because

a) they are hurting the Legacies
b) They are not international
c) They don't have hubs
d) They are overunning the country like SARS was in Asia
e) Unprofessional
f) There are plenty of other airlines to take there place

mikester540

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:02 pm

Yes, Definetly WN! I like Delta,AA, CO, and UAL...

But too bad this probably wouldn't happen  Sad

Mike
We need men who can dream of things that never were. -John F. Kennedy

NIKV69

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:03 pm

Airbus3801,

They are hurting the legacies? Please give me a break, the legacies hurt themselves. It isn't WN's fault they provide a great way to travel without the frills. Who needs them to fly outside the US? Lot's of carriers here are not International. There is nothing saying they have to be! I think they are fine as far as being professional.

So I say again, they will not be going anywhere. I like full service like the next guy but LCCs are good and they are here to stay!

NW7E7

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:04 pm

I would like to see US go.
I HATE their livery!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I actually think it is one of the better ones.

I would actually like to see UA go under because other airlines will benefit greatly from them being gone and hopefully we will get out of this economic trouble we are all in right now!!

Then we would be able to see DL, AA, and CO get some 7E7's!!!

[Edited 2004-07-18 06:05:35]

N766UA

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:17 pm

Which one would you like to see vanish, and why?

I wouldn't like to see any airline vanish. I have gripes against some, but that's certainly no reason to wish thousands of employees and pilots out of their jobs. I can't believe some of you want to see airlines go simply because you don't like their livery or their hub choices!
This Website Censors Me

Mir

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:17 pm

2) Which airline do I hate the most

Which really is irrelevant.

Actually, that was the question first asked. "Which one would you like to see vanish, and why?"

I would like to see NW go, so that the DC-9 replacement threads will finally end.  Big grin

In all seriousness though, I'd like US to stay, because they have a huge network in the Eastern US that connects a lot of small communities. CO has a good New York network so they can stay. UA has the best service I've experienced so far, and are my favorite major, so they stay. NW is the only airline that flies to Grand Forks, so they stay. AA is a member of OneWorld, which gives you a good deal on frequent flier miles with BA, CX and the like, so they stay. That leaves DL as the odd one out. They've got bad service, which seems to carry over to AF as well. So, despite their huge transatlantic network, they get whacked. Let UA pick those routes up. Plus, with Delta gone, JetBlue can flourish without Song in the market.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LHcapt2007

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:18 pm

Yes some of us were inspired by a previous line from Ushermittwoch written with much ignorance and little thought.

Most people agree with US as the #1 contender based on evidence that is very prevelant throughout many media outposts as well as here, so yes FlyingDoctorWu, your assumptions may be true...

LHcapt2007
TNCM

ConcordeLoss
Topic Author

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:19 pm

I don't think an airline deserves to vanish just because you don't like the livery. If thats the case, I think 75 % of the airlines in the world would go under like that.

I agree that US doesnt have any advantage over the other majors, and also has less destinations.

N760,
These are all speculations, I dont wish for anyone to lose their jobs. If and airline goes under, another will expand its operation to cover the gaps, thus creating more jobs.

[Edited 2004-07-18 06:34:45]
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

Byrdluvs747

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:49 pm

I'd love to see AA go.

I hate their livery too, but wouldn't want them to go under.

WN gets my vote, as far as airlines I would love to see go away. Let the other LCC's take over.

I hate almost everything about them. Watching an airport with a major WN presence is like watching a bunch of roaches scatter around after turning on the lights.

Their livery is god-awful. Yes, that includes both the old toilet bowl brown and new "Blue Man Group" paint. Being forced to watch their planes crawling all over PHX has ruined my past love of the 737.

Their boarding procedure is horrible. I like knowing where I'm going to sit on a plane before I get on the aircraft.

I can fly WN on full fare tickets everyday of the year and still be forced to wait in checkin/security lines with all the other once-a-year travel amateurs. On HP I always breeze through checkin and security in PHX.

FA's in shorts. Sorry, but that's just trailer park.
FA's that sing.  Insane
Extremely dirty planes(inside).
No F.
No lounge.
Worthless frequent flyer program, unless you're the kind that vacations in BUR.
Boring fleet. Hmmm I wonder what kind of plane my next WN flight will be on?

Sorry for the rant, but I just hate WN.
(Spare me the "WN is profitable, and well-managed" talk. I've heard it before, and I still hate them.)
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

greaser

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:45 pm

Funny, all the planes i have been on (except US) were pretty clean, even the 737-200s from Southwest.
Again, i don't know why yo guys chose your airlines based on colour schemes, seriously weird...
FA's in shorts, i don't mind...it's a personal choice
No lounge...not like I fly Business anyway...does jetblue have lounges???
Security is soo not WN's fault, you should know.
Free seating...i don't bother...as long as my family sits relatively close together...hey..u get what u pay for. Don't like it, pay 5 times more for US Air.
Boring fleet...WoW!!! Guess you wanna fly on a 777 PHX-DEN???
Now you're really flying

jetdeltamsy

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:00 pm

all of this southwest bashing amazes me.

the legacy carriers (which i am employed by) have no moral right to charge higher fares. costs at legacy carriers are out of control. it's crazy to expect consumers to support legacy carriers just because they are legacy carriers.

southwest may not assign seats in advance, but they've got flying people around profitably down pat. they should be admired.

"i hate almost everything about them. Watching an airport with a major WN presence is like watching a bunch of roaches scatter around after turning on the lights." they may run around like roaches, but when other carriers are holding flights, southwest seems to keep on flying. i think that's great.

i work for delta. southwest has wreaked havoc on delta. but that's a delta problem, not a southwest problem.

come on guys.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Byrdluvs747

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:37 pm

Security is soo not WN's fault, you should know.

HP has a security line for elites in PHX, so it is within WN's control. The thought of having to stand in those horrible checkin(LAX,LAS) and security lines keeps me away from WN.

Boring fleet...WoW!!! Guess you wanna fly on a 777 PHX-DEN???

Hell yeah! However, I know it'll never happen.

Seriously, I was referring to their longer flights. I just don't understand how people get excited spotting or flying in WN planes.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

greatansett

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:43 pm

Trust me, nobody would ever want to see any airline go. For my family it was the worst time of our lives, the emotional stress was terrible.
Ron Paul 2012

Airplaneslover

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:48 pm

NW7E7

well let me see...the worst airlines that i've been on is NorthWest. They are unprofessionally, very bad baggage handling, not to talk about their DC9s...they are old and smell pretty bad...well..that's my vote

airbear

Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:39 pm

Definately the major LCC's ... first in line to be Ryanair, the Jetstar while it's still in its infancy, followed by the rest of 'em in no particular order.

squirrel83

Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:30 pm

I know that UA is in the worst condition but personally I would LOVE to see NW out of the picture . . They have horrible service . .
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

aussie747

Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:47 pm

Air Pacific (FJ) should take over operation of most other South Pacific Airlines to create one airline. In recent years we have seen unhealthy financial figures from most airlines in the region and have recently seen one airline (Royal Tongan Airlines) go into oblivion.

If we go even further (ingnoring current circumstances) I see no reson why QF or NZ could take over a number of these airlines. As it is QF owns 46% of FJ.

worldoftui

Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:57 pm

Does no-one else think that Alitalia's days may be numbered?

They need an urgent cash injection by the end of September, or, AFAIK, they may be in very serious trouble indeed.

I don't want to see any airline go under. As GreatAnsett said, losing your job is never going to be a happy time.

Having said that, certainly in the US, I think that in the next few years, we will see one or maybe 2 less "major" carriers. For entirely personal and selfish reasons, I certainly hope that UA is not one of them.

Mark

DIJKKIJK

Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:39 pm

What a question? It is very sad to see any airline go, really.

But if I had to choose, I'd like to see NW go!

N : naturally
W: worthless
A: airline.

N: not
W: worth
A : anything
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

ushermittwoch

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:19 pm

Hey LHcapt, or should I say AAcapt, apparently you did not read the original question, which asks why we want to see an airline go.
And I just answered it. Because AA's livery is a disgrace to the eye.
Plain and simple.

And for the record, LH sucks ass.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:33 am

Ushermittwoch, Lufthansa used to be good, but now they are terrible. There service sucks, their food sucks and their flight attendants are rude.

Lono

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:15 pm

get rid of SONG!!!! What a joke!!!! Who is DL trying to fool..???
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

VSXA380X800

Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:57 pm

Because AA's livery is a disgrace to the eye.

I agree 3strips, 2 As and 1 unpainted tail( ignition to blow up sequence!). Not a very good look.
Air Jamaica has a much better looking livery than AA.
4 decks 4 engines 4 long haul

Hirnie

Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:02 pm

Ryanair first, O`Leary sucks...
Alitalia for second, they weren`t able to make profits for a couple of years and they won`t be able for the next decades...They hurt all the airlines making profits the normal way, while they are subsidized since decades!!!

USairways16BWI

Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:39 pm

Well, I really hate WN. No offense to the few WN fans. Obviously, I am a die hard Usairways fan. WN Is like a fly buzzing around your head that u just wanna swat. I would love to see WN go, BWI would be given back to US and then they would get a break for once. WN's boarding process is like a freakin cattle call, their nasty brown livery is....well...nasty, and they are very unprofessional. The service isn't great either. They are like the plague, infesting on the weak.

P.s: I've never had my bags lost until I flew on WN, and never have since.

boeingpride800

Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:29 am

I would definitely have to be US Airways. And you all know the reason, because they are in the worst financial blur right now and probably won't get out of it.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jay Selman

OB1504

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:00 am

I too would have to say USAirways. They have a relatively small route network compared to the rest of the Legacies and the small towns and cities that they serve in the northeast could be picked up by other airlines, maybe even LCCs such as Indy Air, Southwest, or JetBlue. B6 might get some of the A320s and Southwest could get some of the 737s, and the A330s would just go to some airline that wants them. WN would expand in PHL, maybe even to the current size of US (well, domestically), especially if they picked up some of their aircraft, and although passengers in Philadelphia might lose some of their direct links to Europe, I don't see any long-term damage caused by them going under.

JBLUA320

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:22 pm

Ushermittwoch

You'd like to see Continental go because you've never flown them? Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass, make logical statements and give it a try before you decide to take it off the map. Continental is consistently ranked among the best of the US majors- and thats for good reason.

As for the rest of this thread, it really is bringing out the worst in people. But while I am at it, I might as well say that if it was life or death and I had to choose an airline to go, itd be Delta.

1) never on time, in my experiences
2) awful reasons for canceling flights (i.e.- "we dont want to fly the plane in for 24 passengers- you can fly out tomorrow and spend the night at your own expense")-- yeah, that was the excuse we were given on Song.
3) awful on board service, and the seats are horribly uncomfortable

That said, Deltas flight crews and attendants are usually top notch, and they are working their tails off to deal with the problems they have- a respectable effort indeed.

Now for the standard disclaimer- no airline should go out of business. And the fact that people are responding to this under teh pretense of which airline would you LIKE to see go out of business is sketchy- I would not LIKE to see any airline go under.

I guess if I had time to research, I'd look to see which major as the least amount of employees. Atleast that way, they would have an easier transition back into the job market as the economy wouldnt be hurting as much.

JBLUA320