PennPal
Topic Author

A Question For Airline Employees

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:51 am

I've got a quick question for airline employees. What determines the "departure/arrival times" of a flight...the time it leaves/arrives at a gate, or the time it lifts off/touches down on the runway?? I'm thinking from/at the gate, but I need reassurance!

Happy Flying!!

PennPal

ringwaymanc

RE: A Question For Airline Employees

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:51 am

arrival time is when it lands , departure time is push back

FL1TPA

Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:10 am

AirTran Airways defines the time of arrival as the time the door of the aircraft opens at the destination. Time of departure is split into 3 times: door close (self explanatory) / wheel movement (start of push/power back) / off ground (actual takeoff). Our system records the wheel movement time as the departure time for the purposes of customer service - what the website says and what we report to the D.O.T. The other times are record-keeping only. With ACARS coming online with all our aircraft soon, the "times callback" will not be needed. Our 737-700 already automatically transmit times to our system without the need for human intervention. It really is quite cool.

FL1TPA

<>
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue."

PennPal
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:33 am

Thanks Ringwaymanc and FL1TPA for your responses. By the way, with the large 717 fleet you have and the additional cities you serve, AirTran is quickly becoming my airline of choice!!

PennPal

PhilSquares

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:07 am

Departure and arrival times are made up of several times, prior to ACARS known as OOOI. (Out Off On In)

Basically, the out time or departure time is all doors closed and brakes released. With ACARS, a message will be sent for the out time. Off it actual takeoff time.

On time is touchdown time and In time is the first door opening at the gate after arrival.

So Departure time is off the gate and arrival time is on the gate. It's been that way at every airline I've been at (3).
Fly fast, live slow