jfkaua

Know Anyone Who Has Never Flown...

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:12 am

Anyone in here know anyone who has never flown? Whats there reasoning? Whenever I hear this from people I am always stunned..

ordflyer

RE: Know Anyone Who Has Never Flown...

Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:20 pm

I don't know anybody who hasn't ever flown, but I do know a few people who don't like to fly unless they absolutely have to because they have a fear of flying. As much as I try to explain the safety of air travel to them, some people just won't buy into the fact that air travel is much safer than car travel.
There are some celebrities who won't fly. John Madden absolutely refuses to fly ever...he has a private bus that he takes to all the football games, and he won't go along with the crew to Honolulu each year for the probowl.

asuflyer05

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:33 pm

My grandmother has never flown before. My aunt offered her a paid BusinessFirst ticket to fly to England with her next week and she turned it down. She has even refused to come and see me in Arizona for my graduation.

bennett123

Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:56 pm

Isn't there one of the stars who won't fly.

I can't remember if it is Bruce Willis or Stallone someone like that.

uadc8contrail

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:09 pm

BENNETT123, john madden,bob newhart for starters......also my neighbor will not fly as her brother was on the NWA flt back in the late 80s DTW-PHX-SNA that went down in dtw.....
bus driver.......move that bus:)

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:18 pm

also my neighbor will not fly as her brother was on the NWA flt back in the late 80s DTW-PHX-SNA that went down in dtw.....

Would it be cruel to ask her why she keeps getting in cars despite the fact that she probably knows someone who has been in a car accident?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ushermittwoch

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:38 pm

I don't know what "there" reasoning is...

Anyway, my best friend's gf has never flown. She came from a poor family, at the moment doesn't need to go anywhere and I guess that's the reason why she doesn't have any flights racked up yet.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:57 pm

Having had periods where I have been a nervous flier, I can tell you that it's not a rational thing. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of nervous fliers are fully aware that it's perfectly safe. But the hindbrain thinks otherwise  Big grin

Fear of flying has never stopped me from flying, but I have been known to do relaxation breathing during turbulence. Yes, I know it's perfectly safe.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

DIJKKIJK

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:58 pm

The "Dear Leader" of North Korea, Kim Jong Il, never flies.

He goes everywhere in a special train, wiht a special carriage for his concubines and his supply of Joseph Guy cognac.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

bill142

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:15 pm

Some of my friends have never flown. Mainly because they've never had the need or opportunity to fly anywhere.

RCS763AV

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:56 pm

Many people in Colombia. Like one of my maids, she hasnt flown yet, the other has taken 4 roundtrips in her whole life.

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:00 pm

The "Dear Leader" of North Korea, Kim Jong Il, never flies.

Isn't he the "Beloved Leader"? I want to make sure I suck up correctly Big grin

N801NW

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:47 pm

I was afraid to fly and yet, loved "Airplane." That may be why. However, the chance to go to California was too great to pass up. My friend, that I was going out to see, was actually surprised that I got on the plane! So much for faith. While there can be parts I don't like I now enjoy flying. I'll fatten up my WorldPerks account again this weekend. Now I just have to lick my fears about driving highways in unknown places.

Christian

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:52 pm

"Isn't there one of the stars who won't fly."

Dennis Bergkamp in Arsenal, is feared of flying.
If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough

PHLBOS

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:33 pm

Most people I've known who have never flown fall in either one or both of the following categories:

1. They have a fear of flying. (my friend's wife falls in this one)

2. They have not been able to afford to go on a trip... even a short one. (sure one can get a cheap airfare but one still has to spend money upon leaving home)
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

FlagshipAZ

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:45 pm

I have an uncle, 69 yrs old living in Buffalo, NY who has never ever step aboard an aircraft in his entire life. In fact, he has never even been west of the Mississippi river in his lifetime. He goes anywhere & everywhere (if you can it that) strictly by car. He's just a homebody. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

PlymSpotter

Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:45 am

One of my best friends has never flown yet, although he should be accompanying me to Switzerland with one of the LCC's early next year. He's just never had the need to go anywhere before. The further you get from major cities the more people you find who have never left their county let alone flown somewhere, or in universal terms not been more than 50 miles from home and taken their honeymoon in the pub down the road.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

AGrayson514

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:50 am

...there are lots of people who could never afford to do it...

Fortunately, this is quickly changing, thanks to LCC's  Smile/happy/getting dizzy .

~ Andrew Grayson

[Edited 2004-09-23 01:51:24]
Give a little bit...

AzoresLover

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:01 am

I had a taxi driver one time from the Tyler TX airport into town. She spent the whole drive proudly telling me that Texas is the best place in the world, that she'd never been out of Texas and never wanted to be, wasn't about to fly anywhere. I was just thinking to myself, "Lady, there's a great big world out there...too bad you're gonna miss it."
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

SIunitsrule

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:05 pm

There are literally billions of people that do not earn more than two or three dollars per day. Some live in remote places were the nearest telephone is a payphone miles away (I've been to such places). Many of them go every once in a while by bus to the nearby civilized town (the bigger town in the area), but some cannot even afford that.
It's sad that so many people cannot possibly afford it.
Everything is relative, so be mindful of your references...

trickijedi

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:26 pm

There's really nothing to be stunned about... some people are just afraid of flying, no matter how much convincing they receive or how much proof they see. Just think of your worse fear and have an aficionado try to convince you that everything wil be ok... just try it once. I'll be like, "Hell no!"

Such is the case with someone who I work with. She refuses to fly for whatever reason so she takes boats and cruises almost everywhere she goes. Obviously, her list if places becomes somewhat limited but hey, it works for her.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

A319114

Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:21 pm

My grandad and a very good friend of mine have never flown.

I think flying in the US is more common than in Europe.
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation