N808NW
Topic Author

Ever Been Sick On A Flight?

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:23 pm

Back in June when I was flying MSP-LGW, I had an incident that made me wish I was not on a plane. I was having terrible gas cramps just after takeoff. Then about an hour into the flight I had to make a mad dash to the toilet. Embarrassment Somehow I ended up in what must have been the smallest loo on the plane.
after that I felt great for the rest of the flight.

Do any of you want to share an incident, in wich you or a friend were sick on a flight?

-Jason.... I just made a fool of myself, didnt I.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
All flights have great IFE...get yourself a window seat, thats something no PTV can beat! flew 808 Pacific an Atlanic

AGC525

RE: Ever Been Sick On A Flight?

Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:40 pm

I got sick sitting front left on a Dauphin once, we were on final after a long flight, too (I almost made it)  Smile It was a hot busy day, maybe thats why.

I've never gotten sick on a commercial flight, but on occasion I will get nauseated on small aircraft. Does anyone have a "cure" they use for air sickness?

American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

767-332ER

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:45 pm

When I was younger, I used to get myself so excited about flying that I literally would have to have the air sickness bag on my lap because I would throw up. Just part of being a child that is.
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

Jkw777

Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:00 pm

Yep I have, when I was younger though.

We were about an hour away from landing on LGW-MCO, it wasn't pleasant. Especially when I didn't lock the door and someone opened it!  Sad

I hope to never get sick on a long-haul flight ever again! Big grin

Cheers,

Justin  Big grin
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

N801NW

Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:14 pm

I've never actually been sick on the plane but a couple of times I've been waiting at the gate alternating between going to the bathroom and thinking "I don't want to get on the plane."

My question: You're checked in but no show for the flight because you are stuck in an airport toilet. If you're on a no-refunds ticket what does the airline do or not do for you?

AzoresLover

Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:29 am

I've never gotten sick on a plane, or even close to it, as far as nausea, throwing up, etc. But once I did take a flight when I was really stuffed up with a cold, and BOY!!! It was a flight from PIT to SEA, and my ears started to hurt so much I had to lay on the floor at the back of the plane. When we finally landed in Seattle, I could hardly hear at all...when people talked to me, it sounded like they were very faint and distant, and my ears still really hurt. We landed at around 9pm in the evening, and it wasn't until the next afternoon that my hearing finally got back to normal.

NEVER, NEVER fly when stuffed up. Boy, did I learn THAT lesson the hard way!!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

OB1504

Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:21 am

LIM-MIA a couple of months ago. We were flying through some severe turbulence, and although I was asleep, I dreamt that I was skydiving but the wind would push me back up, and then I'd fall, and then back up, sort of like a roller coaster. Not that pleasant since I'm prone to motion sickness. *barf*. That must count for something.  Smile

ZKSUJ

Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:49 pm

No, but I have had a girl be sick all over me. I had to carry her to the toilet to clean up, we are friends now.

Jerry1011

Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:10 am

Taking the literal meaning of "Sick" = "Vomit" (In the UK at least) - yes - I have spewed my guts up just the once in my 41 years existence/35 years flying..........

I remember the lead-up well - but not the after events! Here goes......

1994 MAN-DXB-BKK with EMIRATES [EK]:
Just about every time one of the cabin crew went passed us, we were offered drinks. I'm a vodka fiend - so a V & Tonic were the order of the afternoon. Trouble is (well, OK it's not a problem.... at all!) EK would always give you two drinks - "One for now, Sir, and one for after". Thanks! How kind!

After a hefty meal of Lamb Pie etc (all very good, as ever with EK) followed by a landing snack of sandwiches, interspaced with more alcohol and a fab trip to the flight deck courtesy of cabin crew and captain Al Mahadi (Sp), I had become so drunk as to start singing (quietly - I'm not one for disturbing others around me). I watched "The Wrong Trousers"(Wallace & Grommit) on my (then) small PTV but couldn't follow the plot!! After this, I apparently was too drunk to move, stand, visit the WC or anything. In fact, I just sat in my seat and vomited down my front. Oh dear! I was covered!

I am reliably informed (as well as having recorded proof from a credit card statement) that on arrival into DXB, I was taken by my traveling companion around the shops at the airport for a tee-shirt which I could change into.

This I did. The trousers, however, stayed soiled and very smelly.

The events from just before vomiting to arriving at the hotel by taxi in BKK have vanished from my mind. Completely. I had a three-day hangover and headache.

When I asked what I was like/what happened, I hardly dare listen through embarrassment.

Needless to say, the DXB-BKK sector was "dry" for me - just a couple of litres of water I think.

Now every time I travel with the same companion, I am warned severely that I "MUST NOT DO AN EMIRATES" or there'll be big trouble. Needless to say - I haven't done an emirates since. (Mind you, many carriers wouldn't be generous enough to allow you to do one.) Imagine how much an "EMIRATES" would cost if I tried on CO, for example. I couldn't afford it!

Cheers
Jerry1011

SQno1

Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:46 am

Ive never been sick on a flight, but my bro threw up on me whilst on a flight from LHR-SIN on BA in 1999.
This was straight after takeoff and he was complaining all day that he wanted to sit by the window (middle rows).

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:53 am

Hey

on my trip to Italy three years ago i flew TWA from JFK-MXP which was on a 767-200, i got really sick becuase of some food posiong, as soon as i got off the plane i threw up all over the arrivals lounge. And on the way back we where on a TWA 747 sitting in the midde! and i got sick again! My trip to Italy and from Italy werent so fun....
No Vueling No Party

N808NW
Topic Author

Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:17 am

Thankyou all for sharing  Big thumbs up . I also remember that my sister was sick on a BA flight (ORD-LHR on a 742) back in 98. she had the flu or somthing, and was taken onboard in a wheelchair by some very friendly ORD airport staff. she slept thrugh most of the flight and woke up occasionaly to vomit. then, with about an hr left to go she felt better.  Smile

-Jason
All flights have great IFE...get yourself a window seat, thats something no PTV can beat! flew 808 Pacific an Atlanic

jetpixx

Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:36 pm

I was sick on a flight once from MSY-IAH, but that was only because I had a case of the "brown bottle flu" from drinking too much into the night on Bourbon Street. I was dumb for coming in at 5am and having a flight at noon.

Thrust

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:44 am

I was told by my parents that as a baby on a turboprop bound for Alexandria, Louisiana, I vomited all over my mother...that must've been a fun trip for them Big grin  Laugh out loud

Another time I had nasal congestion before boarding and a huge headache after getting off a WN flight, STL-CLE, and my ears hurt like hell, I could only partially hear for awhile it was so bad. Flying only made my cold ten times worse. This was the first time I flew alone too, I believe.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

AzoresLover

Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:01 am

Thrust -

Check out my Reply 5 above. I can sympathize with how you felt after that WN flight. I'm sure that was NOT fun. But at least it was a short flight, even though there are long after effects.

Try flying 5 hours PIT-SEA with that pain!!

Hopefully we've both learned our lesson!!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

BG001

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:31 am

Try flying 5 hours PIT-SEA with that pain!!

lol...i say try flying KWI-JFK ( non-stop )with that pain.

JAFA

Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:15 am

I saw a passenger explode projectile vomit and crap his shorts at the same time, covering eight FC seatbacks and floor on our DC9. GAG, it was terrible. The EWR ground crew was less than pleased. The outbound flight was delayed for 40 minutes while it was cleaned up

US333

Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:07 am

The worst turbulence I have ever experienced was from MDT to CVG a few years ago in a dinky regional jet. It was horrible and then we ended up having to go around again on approach and that's what put me over the top.