Jerry1011
Topic Author

VS 744 Premium Economy - Upper Deck Or Lower?

Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:15 pm

Hi folks

Could someone enlighten me as to whether it's better on the upper deck of the 744 in Premium Economy, or the lower deck?

Obviously, the responses will no doubt be somewhat subjective, but that's fine - just as long as you fill me in with the reasoning!!!

Thanks for your help.

Jerry1011.

AlitaliaMD11

RE: VS 744 Premium Economy - Upper Deck Or Lower?

Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:42 am

Hey

I would go with the Top, it is amazing being up there! I flew on a AF 744 buesniss class from JFK-CDG on the upper deck views where amazing!!

Virgin Atlantic preminum econammy would probaly be the same on the bottom and uper deck no??

I would fly in the upper deck.
No Vueling No Party

airxliban

Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:50 am

jerry, i would most certainly advise the upper deck.

for one thing it is more private. secondly, there is space between the seats and the wall and there are storage bins there where you can store whatever you like and also use them as a leg rest.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dale Coleman

and also for reference...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Valentine

either way i am sure that you will enjoy your Virgin 747-400 experience. I have flown in PE on their 343 (G-VBUS) and I can plug you the trip report if you are interested.

enjoy the flight.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Shamrock_747

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:21 am

I've tried VS PE on both decks and I would definately recommend the upper deck! Seems more spacious and exclusive, and the side storage bins are and advantage.

Enjoy your flight.  Smile

AzoresLover

Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:57 am

I've never flown VS, but I have several other airlines 744, both upper and lower levels. Personally, I HATE being on the upper level...in ANY class. To me, it is just a small cabin, and I much prefer the large cabin around me. If I want a small, narrow cabin I'll fly a single-aisle smaller plane. Every time I end up on top, I have to go down the stairs 2-3 times during the flight (I'm always on long, trans-Pacific flights, it seems) and just walk up and down the aisles for a few minutes before returning to my cramped quarters upstairs.

And if I'm upstairs on a 12 hour plus flight that leaves the west coast around midnight and basically flies in the dark the entire trip it's kind of unbearable to me. In fact, I always TRY to get a flight that will be a daylight flight all the way, but sometimes there is nothing available. Bummer!!

I just really hate the small cabin...especially on a very long dark flight. Give me the main deck anytime!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

Jerry1011
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Thanks you guys for your comments.

AzoresLover - I know just what you mean. Going upper I suppose does mean feeling like being on a smaller aircraft when one gets a bit of a buzz from travelling wide-body. However, I think a compramise might be worth trying here: Out on the upper, home on the lower to enable comparison. If the upper really does appeal to me, then I can always change my plans on the return!

Thanks again to you all.
Jerry1011.