UAL747

Why Do You Like To Fly?

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:45 am

It's really funny. I have panic disorder, and take medication for it, but when I'm snuggled into my seat on a widebody over some ocean, everything seems so peaceful, like I've left all my problems behind and I'm away from the real world. Not to mention the puffy clouds rolling by, and that oh so beautiful sunset and sunrise on the transatlantic flights. Also, the sound of the whirring engines just makes me so calm. Plus, there is an excitement for travel. How awesome do you feel when you are boarding your 777 headed to Europe and you look at the gate next to you and those people are boarding their little 737 to Chatanooga, TN?

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Starlionblue

RE: Why Do You Like To Fly?

Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:57 am

I love to fly. It takes me somewhere. I just like the whole idea of seeing something new, or seeing something again.

Snuggled up on that AA777 with my laptop and my noise cancellations, occasionally looking out the window, I feel as if I am in my own little cocoon of peace.

Until I have to pee...  Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ConcordeBoy

Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:59 am

I used to be terrified of planes/flying.

My mother suggested that I learn everything I possibly can about them-- now I'm obsessed  Laugh out loud

...still a jittery flyer though  Crying
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Starlionblue

Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:03 am

I must also admit that turbulence makes me nervous. Flying as much as I do is the best cure. The hindbrain figures it can't be afraid all the time I guess.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ossprey

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:04 am

I grew up in the air. My earliest memories are of flying in a Beech 18 on Floats. The shakes and vibrations are all part of a language the aircraft speaks. As they speed along the runway lake or river and then seem to leap into the air because that is where they belong. If you ever watch the rate of climb of a 747 it leaps into the air. We all have our favourites and will defend them tooth and nail, but we all respect and understand the love of flight and the things that fly.
I had a chance to have dinner with some great people in aviation in our small community last night and where do us air plane nuts hold such a semi-formal event. In a hanger of coarse. I would not have it any other way. It reminds me of the freeze up parties held by my fathers company many years ago. Always lots of food a few drinks and many stories of the last years events.
I do not just love to fly I live to fly.
I love the touch of aluminum in the morning. Walk arounds in the snow pumping out floats polishing aluminum by hand!!NOT

USAFHummer

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:24 am

When asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, British mountaineer George Leigh Mallory famously replied "Because it's there"...so why do I like to fly? I'll just modify Mallory's famous quote a bit "Because I do..." No words can explain it really...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

futureualpilot

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:26 am

Im with USAFHummer....I just love to fly. No reason in particular, I couldnt point anything out, I just love to, and need to fly...theres no doubt in my mind about that.
Life is better when you surf.

September11

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:47 am

I like to fly because I love airplane seats!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Diana Matusik

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Juszczak

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabrice Sanchez - Brussels Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © 737doctor

View Large View Medium

Photo © Artem-LAXimages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Hank Nix

View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett - AirTeamImages

Airliners.net of the Future

ZKSUJ

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:47 pm

The Boeing 747-400 by far. The Queen of the skies!!!

levent

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:57 pm

I have the same feelings like Ossprey. I grew up in airplanes, it´s in my blood. Whenever there is a nice offer and I can combine it with my work, I´ll book a ticket. For the rest of this year I´ve planned a return trip to London STN on 20 November, and I just booked a ticket VLC-MXP-IST-FCO-VLC for Xmas and New Year. The best thing of all is, that my girlfriend also loves it!

trekster

Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:48 pm

1. Going to another destination
2. The experience of Take off, what other thing can give u that.
3. The love of planes, whats more better when u like them, to go up in one
Where does the time go???

studentflyer

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:40 pm

I like to fly because of the thrill of "getting off the ground", and to pay tribute to the Wright Brothers' achievement!

Also, I like flying, because when you do a solo flight in a light aircraft, you start to realize that it is basically you, by yourself in the air, controlling the aircraft, virtually without any boundaries (Only airspaces will), and you start to "go into a different world"

Regards,
AK

Wanderer

Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:46 pm

To be honest, I am more of a sailor than an aviator, and would travel the world by ship if I had the time and the money. However, flying is a brilliant feeling - defying the laws of gravity is "something else".

I like to fly because I love travelling and love the buzz of airports. I like being above countries and seeing the landforms from 35,000 feet. And, obviously, I like airliners - I never fail to be impressed by a 747 taking off...

Ratypus

Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:33 am

I like to fly because it's such an unreal thing to expect to be able to do! However much I fly, I still find it totally mind-bending that I can get on a an aeroplane in South America....and in the space of a night do a journey that used to take weeks or months...and arrive in Europe the next morning. There's something about that that makes airliners part of the best stunt we've ever pulled.....

Just have a think next time you see an airliner coming into land - Isn't it incredible that here is this huge machine, these 300-400 people, and the last time it touched solid ground, it was on the other side of the world from where you are now, somewhere only 50 years ago you'd not expect to go in your lifetime. It gives me shivers! That's why I love flying!

Skydrol

Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:04 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
>>>
Snuggled up on that AA777 with my laptop and my noise cancellations, occasionally looking out the window, I feel as if I am in my own little cocoon of peace.

Until I have to pee...
<<<

Yeah, but where else can you take a dump in a $40,000 toilet, cruising at 550 MPH, 37,000 feet above the earth?  Smile

Personally, I like every aspect of flying: boarding the aircraft, takeoff, in-flight service, the view of the world from above, turbulence, brat kids, pungent people, screaming babies... OK, maybe I've gone too far now...

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

Wanderer

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:05 pm

Skydrol, you were doing ok until you got to the brat kids!  Big grin

AlitaliaMD11

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:01 am

Hey

I just love the feeling that I am so high up in the air!!

I also do enjoy snuggling up in my seat, watching my movie on my PTV and eating my dinner.

I just love it  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

When I fly first or Buessniess it makes the trip so much better!!

But Econamy is cool to.
No Vueling No Party

WidgetBoi

Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:02 am

I like to fly because I'll do anything to get out of New Jersey  Big grin

airgeek12

Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:40 am

I, too love flying! It gives you a sence of peace- like you left all your problems on the ground!

In disagreement with some other posters in this thread- I LOVE turbulance! It's so fun!- it's like riding the bumps of the skies!

keno

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:26 am

1. Fastest way to travel long distance

2. The 'glamour' associated with air travel. It just makes me feel good that I could afford to travel 'in style', even if it's on a LCC. Poor souls who have to depend on bus/train/ship/camel/mule/etc to get to their destinations...

Wanderer

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:30 am

Nothing wrong with travelling on ships Keno.

CougarAviator

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:42 am

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

— Leonardo da Vinci

I cannot describe the sensations felt when flying. As a licensed pilot, I love nothing more than the view when on short final.......

Example:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jose A. Rafols

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Greene

[Edited 2004-10-31 03:51:25]
Failure is not an option.....

sw733

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:17 pm

I hate to fly! It's not that I am scared...it's just such a pain in the @ss! And once you get on the plane, the seats suck, the flight is late too much, etc. etc. etc. I love airplanes, thus I am a member of this website, but I HATE the act of actually flying.

A319114

Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:35 am

The fact that planes alwaystake me somewhere far and often new makes me really love them.
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

karan69

Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:34 am

ITs sheer passion and ofcourse at times excitement and necessity

ZKSUJ

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:43 am

Because of airline food  Big grin
I like to fly because...I don't know I just like it. In fact I really like it.

jm017

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:58 am

I am not sure why. But it definitely has something to do with the window seat and seeing the land and sea from the air. Also a feeling of escape. Of course I am miserable if I do not have a window seat. Takeoffs and landings just fascinate me. Flying over bodies of water and islands too.
Flying through clouds, thunderstorms, they all do it for me. I have no idea why, but there you are.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

COAB767

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:35 pm

3 Words:

FASTER THAN DRIVING!!!
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

AlitaliaMD11

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:06 am

Hey

I kind of change my earlier post.

I have flown 29 hours this week! in econamy!

I am so tired of it!
No Vueling No Party

kc7mmi

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:23 pm

I really enjoy flying. I'm one of those lucky people who get to work for an airline...so I fly as much as I can. I'm also a helicopter pilot. Funny thing, cuz I've piloted a helicopter before I ever flew on an airliner. Only once have I paid a full fare ticket to fly...all the rest of the times have been non-rev. :-p

I really enjoy flying when I'm not tired...but if I had to get up extra early (like I did this last time...had to get up to vote @ 6am then fly to TX with daylight to spare) I'm tired so the flight goes much slower & tougher. When I'm not tired, I like to look out the window, break out an aeronautical chart (a couple WAC's if flying to TX or a PHX sectional if flying to SAN) and follow our route. It really adds a level of enjoyment to a flight when you can look out the window, find an airport or any other landmark, find it on the chart, and positively identify where you are.

A few flights ago I even caught a real good opportunity to do some air to cloud photography!

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Benjamin R Russell

BMAbound

Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:42 am

I dislike being a passenger on an airliner. It gets pretty boring once the wheels are retracted.

However, piloting a plane beats everything. I love the fact that my mind stays where it belongs. In the plane. I cannot recall ever thinking of homework/bills or whatever while flying.

johan
Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured