jake056

Best Way To Avoid Jet Lag To Europe From U.S

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:26 am

Have heard so many theories, what do the folks who actually fly all the time do to avoid/lessen the effects of time change.

ArmitageShanks

RE: Best Way To Avoid Jet Lag To Europe From U.S

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:44 am

Try and start getting to sleep 30 minutes earlier each night for the week before your trip.

ba97

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:56 am

Get a ClubWorld seat. Do the sleeper service. Have 2 good drinks and poof you wake up refreshed over the UK as you sail down through 20,000. Land-go to the arrivals lounge, have a good breakfast, shower, massage.

The week before I go over I start to mess up my sleep schedules. I get up earlier and earlier and go to beb later and later. I start my work day 10AM London time. Sot when I arrive I am already in sinc
there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

agd

Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:12 pm

Actually I went there a few times and I always did the same.

After arriving at the airport in the morning from Montreal (given that flights to Europe from here generally arrive early in the morning in Europe), I stayed awake for the entire day in Europe and went to bed at around 10 or 11pm. I took once a little nap of a 2 hours duration in the afternoon and felt ok.

I always woke up top shape, no problem there. And I can assure you I personnally never felt jetlag using this method. But I guess it depends on so many factors.

In my opinion, I find the difficult part of travelling in Europe from North America is always when I came back. I woke up in the middle of the night a few days before being allright.

Cheers!

Alex
NO URLS in signature

geoffm

Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:05 pm

No alcohol, plenty of water, try to get some rest while onboard, and then when on the ground, stick to European times for eating and sleeping.

Geoff M.

flyboy7974

Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:52 pm

mine has worked well, fly with a great friend every year from lax-str through lhr on british, first took the early flight that departs late afternoon, through london and into stuggart late afternoon. that became hard trying to stay up those last few hours, and i always dozed off, then woke up about midnight. finally now, we take the late evening flight out of lax, through london, and into stuggart in the late evening, perfect, just in time for bed. wake up next day, and body ready for a new day, time change and all.

tu114

Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:55 pm

My technique is very simple - just adopt the time zone you are in immediately and go to sleep at the time you normally would. Sleeping at odd times just prolongs the agony!

jumbojim747

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:31 pm

Believe it or not I feel better when I get off the aircraft then when i got on it.
Sorry all i dont believe in jetlag i believe its a myth.
On a wing and a prayer

Wanderer

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:04 pm

Go by ship  Big grin

Seriously, though, drink plenty of water - no tea, coffee or alcohol and when you you arrive go to sleep at local times, resisting the temptation to sleep when you feel tired.

dtwclipper

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:20 pm

I just stay awake until it is at least 10:30 pm local time. The next morning I am fine.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

SlamClick

Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:48 am

Actually, going in that direction, wouldn't it be "jet lead?"
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Nicollo

Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:31 am

Going over take ambien 10mg and tell the serving flight attendant to, ":do not reserve"

[Edited 2004-10-28 20:33:25]

AlitaliaMD11

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:05 am

Hey

When I fly on a flat bed from JFK-Europe it is so nice.

Sleeping on the plane totally refrshes you and makes you used to the time
No Vueling No Party

7LBAC111

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:20 pm

Best way to avoid jet lag to Europe?? = Virgin Suites!

I can only dream!
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

ZKSUJ

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:54 pm

Stay awake as long as possible and then go to sleep at night (local time) You will wake up the next morning very very unjetlagged.

BAViscount

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:38 am

Coming back home from trips to the U.S. I always take a nap of about 2 hours max in the early afternoon on the day I get home, setting as many alarms as I can find to make sure that I have no more than two hours. Then I go to bed at around 10pm...hey presto, fresh as a daisy the next morning!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

sw733

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:01 am

Couldn't tell ya...I am one of those lucky jerks who doesn't get affected by jet lag!  Laugh out loud

bananaboy

Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:44 am

Daylight flights....

Flew BOS-IAD-LHR with UA - admitedly it was in First....

but a 6am flight from BOS with a 9am departure from IAD. I had been up for several hours by the time I got to Logan.

By the time I landed in London, my body clock was telling me that I had been up for hours, would have been mid afternoon in the US.. but I was tired and it was dark in London. Went to bed, got full nights sleep and woke up the next morning feeling great.

I don't ever want to take a night flight heading east again, unless I am in the UA sleeper suites.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Arniepie

Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:17 am

Actually in general people do not experience jetlag so much going from Europe to the US because you travel in the direction of the sun.
It 's like you are in an extra long day, just stay awake and go to sleep on the hour (maybe a little earlier) as you normally do.
The next day you shouldn't feel pretty okay.
Going the other way normally gives more troubles because you keep on having the feeling that you landed in the wrong part of the day.
There are some techniques that can help you to adjust quicker (specific sleeping patterns to keep during the flight) but usually travelers can't be bothered to do so.
[edit post]

ZKSUJ

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:47 am

SW733-"Couldn't tell ya...I am one of those lucky jerks who doesn't get affected by jet lag!"
You should try flying from FCO to AKL, it something like 11 hours difference. I bet you'd get jet lag on that trip, I know that I certainly did Big grin

fbgdavidson

Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:57 am

You bunch of amateurs!

Get yourself on the last flight of the day out of the US and have a couple of alcoholic bevvies before bed (although I am aware we have a lot of teenage posters here who are too young to buy alcohol, RCC or otherwise Big grin)

[Edited 2004-11-01 01:00:49]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey