Bofredrik
Topic Author

The Most Dirty (inside) Aircraft You Have Seen?

Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:30 am

I once flew with a Aer Lingus B 737-200 and that was a dirty one.
It was so old, dirty and terrible that i have to write about it here +
ask you about your experience...

IslipWN

RE: The Most Dirty (inside) Aircraft You Have Seen

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:39 am

One time I wanted to try and fly TowerAir, and also see what it was like to land in FLL on a 747. I did the JFK-FLL flight. I also didn't like it becuase when you fly TowerAir, you have to go to a totally different spot, instead of a regular terminal. The plane was absolutely disgusting. There was writing all over the walls and tray tables, the seats were falling apart, the wall paneling was coming off, and it was really shaky. When the engines started up, I thought I was going to die.

Joe Smile/happy/getting dizzy

767-332ER

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:11 am

IB MD-88 from MAD-SVQ this past march. Absolutely disguting...specially for a 10 yr old a/c.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

Skydrol

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Bofredrik & B767-332ER - - What was wrong with the aircraft you describe?

IslipWN - Interesting description of the TowerAir 747. Not too often to find aircraft cabins with significant graffiti. Maybe another a.net member can prove me wrong about this being uncommon with photo examples from a.net. But cargo holds? That's another story!

I'm sure I'll be flamed to an ash for this, but here goes -

I think worn out, filthy aircraft are great. Proof of an airplane being a workhorse, instead of a hangar queen. Such a plane has been hundreds of places over the years, and gone through a lot of rough events, and continues to fly today. Give me a beaten 727 or L-1011 for a flight anyday over something new!

Worst cabins I can remember?

- a Canadian Airlines 767 with quite filthy seats, carpet, sidewalls and bulkheads. This is right before they were taken over by Air Canada, so maybe they were letting details slide?

- Northwest 320 which looked like a food-fight had occured. The ceiling panels, overhead bins, sidewalls etc. were splattered everywhere from food, drinks, who knows?

- a Delta 767 lav. Let's just say I never thought what I saw was humanly possible.

- Air Canada Jazz Dash 8 with ceiling and sidewall panels with jagged holes punched through in several places. Surely this aircraft cabin must have suffered impact damage from severe turbulence, although the seats and carpet were pretty grubby too.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

airxliban

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:57 pm

either a TAP 732 or MS 707...
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

jumbojim747

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:04 pm

Beats me how an airline can let an aircaft continue in service in condtions like that unberlivable.
On a wing and a prayer

airtrainer

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:57 am

Biz and first class AFTER a 8 hours flight on a LH A 340, a real shame !
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Jaspike

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:34 am

My experience with a Pulkovo Tu-154M:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/37288

"It was dirty, smelly, cramped, the seats were falling to bits, the tables on the seats were very unstable, some of the window covers were broken, it was horrible."  Smile

Tom

Qantasclub

Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:06 am

Without question: Air India's and PIA's 747s at the end of a long flight. Ugh.
Long Haul is the only way to go

NEXtime

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:39 pm

I agree with Airtrainer. The First / Business class cabins after a long haul flight!
Seems if you spend your money you're given license to trash the joint!
My own personal vote :- Ryanair 737-200 (Any one of many)
Fantastic 4-Holers : Concorde, Boeing 747SP & Lockheed Jetstar - I'm lovin' it!

skysurfer

Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:19 am

I flew a few times on Ryanair 737-200's (ex Lufthansa machines)and always found them to be dirty, but the airfares were cheap so i had no hesitations about re-booking.

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

TACAA320

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:09 am

"The First / Business class cabins after a long haul flight!
Seems if you spend your money you're given license to trash the joint!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Don´t see any problem.

If F and Biz are dirty after a long haul flight, their is a 99% of probabilities that Coach is also dirty.

Solution: clean it.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

DavidYYC

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:22 pm

Oh most certainly an AC 767, (older version) just BEFORE an 8 hr flight from YYC-LHR. I bent over to pick-up something that had fallen onto the floor; I was stunned, there was dirt, crumbs, and what looked like a few years of in-flight leftovers under the seats and in the cracks. The carpets were worn and dirty, seats torn and grungy,it was shocking and embarrassing. It was even worse then a regional Air Zambia flight that I took from Lusaka to Kitwe, where the Air Attendant dragged a crate of beer down the isle to serve the pax! I think that AC (at this time) was really cutting corners and costs, so the aircraft had quick turn-around and a quick (hardly) clean.

cragley

Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:20 pm

Either a GF 340 after a flight from Bahrain to Sydney or any of the RyanAir 732's.

GF had stains all over the carpet, broken overhead bins and when you got on there were blankets all over the floor since nobosy had cleaned it. Because of the Sydney airport curfew, there is no time for cleaning the planes, so they just throw pax on and gun it to the runway.

Ryanair = you get what you pay for. Broken table, chair, armrest, overhead and window shade.

sw733

Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:28 am

VS 747 - 200 from ORD to LHR in June of 2001. It was horrible inside.

ATLhomeCMH

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:31 am

A couple of the times I've flown WN their a/c weren't turned around properly and had stains on the seats, trash in the seat-back pouches and under the seats.

One passenger even complained about sitting in a small piece of old gum!

It was like riding a city bus.
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

rlwynn

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:24 am

The winner has to KLM City Hopper F50 from CGN-AMS. Have never a dirtier cabin before or after. Wrote a nice letter to the CEO just asking him to take ride out to the ramp and see for himself the interior and see what he thinks. Got a nice letter and a a free ride to JFK in return.
I can drive faster than you

JAFA

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:22 pm

The inside of Brittania Airways 767-200 after LGW-MCO. The floor was covered with plastic wrappers, papers, etc. Not to mention the smell when the door was opened.

AMS

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Yes it was on a PIA A310 between JFK-AMS in 1997. PK did not have any time to clean the aircraft after 2 long flights LHE-AMS-JFK, so it was just disgusting!

Regards,
AMS

Skydrol

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:47 pm

And the winners are . . .

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

JeffLAS

Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:16 am

Most Spirit Airlines MD-80's were very dirty inside. For example, one MD-80, N803NK had a row of arm rests between seats in the very first row Duc-taped. It just looked pathetic.
" Jazz A-380, you have 2,100 feet from the intersection......Cleared for Take-off"

studentflyer

Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:36 am

I was once on a Royal Jordanian A310, on a leg from Jakarta-Amman. It was the worst I've been in. The tables were falling apart literally, that I had to support it with the pillow and my legs, because otherwise, it will just make an angle that points to my lap. Also, the lavatories had some smearing done onto it. I don't know how it got there, but it was there. It stunk so bad. The rear of the aircraft as I had a chance to have a walkabout, were full of smokers (yes, it was a smoking flight), and the fumes just drove me crazy. There were brown patches of tobacco smoke on the walls of the a/c. Also, the window that I sat on, had a crack on the inner-part of it, which just got me scared for a while.
It may be that I veered off from the main topic with the mechanical problems in the a/c, but I think it's worth a mention, as it is also a disgust for the passenger travelling.

Regards,
AK

COAMiG29

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:17 pm

the photos above are most definently taken from a scrapyard. my question is at the scrapyard is there security or are the planes open for viewing. were the above planes scrapped or refitted? If i went to mhv would they let me inside the planes or just look around?
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

jorge1812

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:48 am

Ryanairs B 737-300's from AOC to STN and back. But what could you expect for a 30 Euro flight.

srbmod

Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:38 am

Having cleaned a few a/c cabins @ AirTran in the past, I've seen my share of dirty cabins. People would drop snack mix on the floor and it would get stepped on and break into a million pieces that were impossible to pick up with a rug sweeper. People putting dirty diapers in the seat back pockets. Seats wet with an unknown substance. Puke on seat covers, bathrooms that stunk worst than a Port-a-potty sitting in the sun in mid-Summer. I've seen stuff that would gag a maggot.

But for an a/c I was a passenger on, a Ryan Int'l A320. The plane had been at the gate for several hours and it didn't even look like it had been cleaned in days.

NWADC9

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:07 pm

NW 741 GMP-NRT late 90's
Smoking flight.

Honestly, that's the dirtiest cabin I've seen Big grin
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

TupolevTu154

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:20 am

Well, look at the pics in this trip report...

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/50960/

Now thats just wrong, flies in the lights, and gaping holes in the back of the seats.Great trip report tho  Big grin

Regds

Tom

BAViscount

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:31 am

Don't want to complain about Air India, I know that they seem to be getting some good reviews these days, but the filthiest plane I've ever flown on was an Air India 747 LHR-JFK back in 1988. The cabin was just about acceptable, but don't get me started on the toilets...unfit for human use. I understand that my flight was a continuation of a flight from either Delhi or Mumbai, but honestly, what on earth were people doing in there on the India - LHR leg?!?!?!

And just last weekend I flew Ryanair STN-TSF on one of their new(ish) 737-800's. I had an exit row seat where the table folds out of the arm of your seat. Basically the thing was unusable as it sloped down at quite an angle meaning that everything slipped off into your lap, so good job I only had a vodka and coke and not a meal (not that I had the choice)! Other than that, it wasn't too bad.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

fbgdavidson

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:35 am

"The First / Business class cabins after a long haul flight!
Seems if you spend your money you're given license to trash the joint!"

In F & J you have more things to trash the place with..blankets, amenity kits, menus, extra inflight magazines, bottles of water.

It's not dirty, it is just untidy.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

jm017

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:35 pm

The economy class cabin of a JM A310 (JM002) after the long haul from LHR-MBJ. I boarded this aircraft in MBJ for my journey to KIN. Let's just say the passengers took full advantage of their right to trash the aircraft. But nothing a good cleaning cannot fix. Still, this was one time I wish I had driven to KIN instead of flying.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

ATWZW170

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:10 am

Inside of Shuttle America's SAAB 340's! Don't open your eyes.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

mdsh00

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:04 pm

1st place:

AI 744 from NRT-BOM back in 1990. The passenger mess was actually okay by India bound flight standards. Apparently during the flight some water pipe under the floor was leaking/broken which wet a lot of the carpet. The FA's tried to absorb it all with towels but it wasn't working. And everyone knows that a wet carpet can start to smell....imagine a smelly cabin for that long of a flight.

2nd Place:

VS 343 from LHR-LAX. The seat in front of me was busted and overall, the plane wasn't very clean looking inside. The lights felt dim and the overhead bins had a yellowish tint to them.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

soups

Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:35 am

ALITALIA 767 MXP-LOS-ACC was very dirty
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra