Spoke2Spoke
Topic Author

Which US Airline Club Should I Join?

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:32 am

Ok, so lets say that I lived in an area with very high traffic from all major US airlines, and I wanted to join an airline club. That way I won't be waiting for my flights with screaming babies or in a smoky loud bar. I can choose from all major US airline's club programs, and all airlines are equally convenient for me.

Which club do I choose?

For our little exercise, lets assume that:
- No one is going out of business
- Price is no object

The idea is to choose a club based on amenities, service, perks! Whichever they may be. What do you think?

Also, how important is the quality of an airline club to you in choosing where your loyalty lies?

Spokes
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

B4REAL

RE: Which US Airline Club Should I Join?

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:36 am

Where do you live?
Where do you fly?
Who do you fly?
Do you usually go for non-stop or don't mind connections?

I would recommend you go with a SkyTeam lounge. The NW/DL/CO domestic partnership is strong, and the CO mainline product is, IMHO, the best domestic product available. Problem is, unless you live in CLE, IAH, or EWR, you may not always have the best routes available, especially out West.

And of those 3, I'd recommend: CO First, DL Second, NW Third. But the SkyTeam reciprocity can't be beat. B4REAL

B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

flyabunch

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:37 am

The only problem with your scenario is that most clubs have a clause in their agreements that they are available to members only when they have a ticket for that airline on that day. Now, I know for a fact that this rule is not regularly enforced but it could be.

With that said, I would base the decision on the availability of my club on whether or not it was available in all of my usual destinations. I fly Continental a lot but it is not even available in my home airport. If that were the case in this case, I would pick another.

Mike

Cory6188

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 am

I don't know if this matters to you or not, but in all of the CO President's Clubs and NW WorldClubs, the alcohol is completely free - an amenity not found in the other airline's clubs. When you join either club, you get access to the other carrier's club if you are flying with them, so it's a nice bonus. I would recommend that you join with one of the above carriers, whichever you will be flying with more (as you will be near their clubs more often), and then use the other's clubs when flying on a codeshare.

B4REAL

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 am

That is true, if I am a DL Crown Room member, I cannot fly on DL into CLE and use the CO President's club. My post did not indicate the opposite, however.

But, as a general rule, in my many travels. If I can't get the one of those three that is my preferred carrier, I can usually get one of the other two for fare reasons. And, that can go to my mileage base on my preferred carrier. As a perk, I can use the other airlines club if I have a ticket on that other airline.

B4REAL

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:40 am

DL Crown Room clubs have complimentary alcohol for members and guests as well.

Spoke2Spoke
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:44 am

For the record complimentary booze is a definite plus!

This is great. Do any clubs not offer free booze? Do any have a food menu? What about entertainment?
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

B4REAL

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:48 am

I can't say for other clubs, but DL/NW/CO clubs are generally similar in offering light snack foods for guests. This includes cookies, snack mix, and other things. I know the DL rooms best, so here goes, DL rooms have the cookies, snack mix, and in the morning they have fruit and granola bars. The NW rooms in the morning have fruit and pastries/muffins (in BOS at least), in the afternoon have cookies, snack items, and cheddar cheese (I really like that cheese). The CO rooms are more similar to the DL rooms as I remember.

Some (not all) CO Presidents Club rooms have FREE wireless Internet access. That is a REALLY BIG PLUS in my book, as most of my travel is business. I know DL, AA, and probably others have TMOBILE hotspots (not free, but good service) in their rooms.

copter808

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:03 am

OK, here's a plus for CO--you do NOT need to be flying on CO, or even flying at all, to use their clubs. You can come to the airport jkust to use the President's Club if you want!

ordflyer

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:43 am

The only problem with your scenario is that most clubs have a clause in their agreements that they are available to members only when they have a ticket for that airline on that day
I have experience with the AA Admirals Club and UA Red Carpet Club...these two clubs do not have that policy which is a pretty big plus. For example if you lived in Chicago, only had a membership to the Admirals Club, but were flying UA you would be able to relax in the Admirals Club before your flight. Granted it would be an inconvenient walk all the way from terminal 3 to terminal 1 but it is feasable.
In the end I would choose based on what clubs are in your home airport, and which airline you fly the most. The food at pretty much all clubs is nothing to be excited about, mainly snack foods. The open bar at some clubs is definitely nice, but not worth going out of your way if you don't fly those airlines often. Keep in mind that many airline clubs now have "day passes" for around $50 which are pretty nice if you don't fly often enough to warrant a full membership or if you want to try different ones out to see which you like the best.

MATURRO727

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:00 pm

Hey!

Definitely CO ! Although AA is a good choice also.

MATURRO727

EMBQA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:06 pm

This is great. Do any clubs not offer free booze? Do any have a food menu? What about entertainment?

To my knowledge most offer none of the above except for drinks maybe at a few. The clubs are set up to offer the business traveler a quiet place to work on reports, make a few phone calls and just relax outside of the hussle and bussle of the terminal. They also help you with connections and hotel reservations. That is why most cost several hundred dollars a year just for membership... the cheepest was CO at $375 a year, most where over $450.

[Edited 2004-11-15 04:15:20]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AA7573E

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:13 pm

@ORDFLYER

You are 100% incorrect. AA and UA have no reciprocity between their two clubs, in any locations, under any circumstances. You can, however, buy a one day pass into either club, but an AA club membership won't get you past the front door in a UA club, and the same is true for a UA membership at an AA club.

This has been the case since day one.

See you up front!

ordflyer

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:43 pm

AA7573E, I think I misworded my post a bit. I wasn't implying that the two airlines have reciprocity, I know that an Admirals Club membership card won't get you admitted to the RCC.
I was saying that they don't check your ticket at the door, therefore you don't have to be flying American to access the Admirals Club, you just need your Admirals Club membership card and photo ID. My post was in reply to the post above saying that some clubs require you to be flying their airline in order to access their club.
sorry about the confusion

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:47 pm

Continental President's Club is the hot ticket here. Reciprocity with DL and NW. Free booze. Plenty of snacks, computer wi-fi access, phones, etc. Some are big, some are small . . . the President's Club at SEA is a nice, small, quiet, homey place. The clubs at IAH, CLE and EWR are obviously very large, and can be jam packed at times. No matter - Continental is the way to go, can't beat the price and amenities.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND