mischadee

Things To Do In Newark?

Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:12 am

Hi all.

Taking SK904 at 5:20 PM from EWR to ARN November 29th. I checked the weather and it looks good. I was thinking of heading to the airport early to watch some planemovement after I have checked-in. No photographing though as I know that it is nearly impossible without being harassed by the police. Anybody know where I can get a good view over the runways or the tarmac, maybe on the roof of a parking garage? What are the best spots at Newark for watching planes? And also I'm thinking of having lunch. What terminal offers the best restaurants? A, B or C? How much of the famous terminal C can I experience without going trough security?

Don't know if this is the right forum but I think so. I would be happy for any replies.

Mischa.
ARNiboy

jasepl

RE: Things To Do In Newark?

Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:33 pm

Mischa, there's just one thing to do should you find yourself in Newark: Leave! Seriously.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:14 pm

It is almost impossible to take pictures in and around EWR, even at the IKEA parking lot or other private property areas due to overzelous security precautions by the NY/NJ PA that operates the airport (as well as the nearby seaport - Port Newark/Elizabeth). You might have some luck at the Jersey Gardens mall, a short cab ride away, as may be able to see either landings or takeoffs, depending on the winds. Don't forget that it will be dark by about 4:30 pm (16:30) so you may not see much anyway. Jersey Gardens is an outlet/shopping mall, with many stores, mainly for clothing, shoes at cheap prices (including an outlet for H&M). There is also a food court there too. Terminal C (if that is where your flight will leave from is quite nice, with many resturants/fast food places, bars and various shops). If not leaving via Terminal C, then you will not be able to visit as only ticketed passangers departing via that terminal can be let through security. Sorry.

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:26 pm

Hey

you can get some great shots from the monarail.

I found a great spot out near COs hangars for spotting not sayn where it is  Acting devilish

my secret.

But I suggest the monarail.
No Vueling No Party

fanofjets

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:59 am

Both Terminals A and B have nice big picture windows - great for plane watching but terrible for photographs. AlitaliaMD11 has the right idea - ride the monorail. The views of the airport are quite nice there.

If you are in the city of Newark, check out the Newark Museum. It's a gem. As for the city itself, take the usual precautions of watching your belongings, but don't worry. I have been to Newark numerous times and have had only good experiences (despite the city's unsavory reputation) and have found the people to be friendly and helpful.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AGrayson514

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:31 pm

There is an enthusiast shop called "The AIRPLANE SHOP" fairly close to the airport. They sell a wide variety of scaled models as well as other airplane and airline material.

The Airplane Shop
New Jersey
24 Stewart Place, Unit 4
Fairfield, NJ, 07004

1-800-PLANE-GO

~ Andrew Grayson
Give a little bit...

sfointern

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:37 am

The IKEA cafe across the highway gets good views of the airport. And who can say no to yummy swedish meatballs? Yummmmm.

posti

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:42 am

When in Newark my advice woule be watch your wallet.
LGW via RAC, LAF, & SEA

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:32 pm

Shucks, Posti beat me to it!

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

KCmike

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:01 pm

Have to agree with jasepl. Newark is a dump in my oppinion.
However, I was there just a few months ago and had no problems with security and photographing. I did it openly and no one ever said a word.
Try re-routing through somewhere else.
Cleared for the option...