Vio
Topic Author

What/who Is Your Airport Named After?

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:29 am

Hi,

I was wondering about airport names. Any one you can think of. Like why is Milan airport named "Malpensa", or Stockholm "Arlanda".

for example,

Toronto Lester B. Pearson = named after our prime minister

Bucharest Otopeni = (Otopeni is the actual town where the airport is, on the outskirts of Bucharest)

please feel free to add as many as you want.

Thanks
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

JeffDCA

RE: What/who Is Your Airport Named After?

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:32 am

Nottingham East Midlands Airport is named because it's in Nottingham...... despite being closer to Derby and having a Derby address.  Nuts

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

MADtoCAE

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:36 am

MAD is named after the town of Barajas wich is right beside
Operator!!! Give me the number for 911!!

HaveBlue

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:40 am

I fly out of Daytona Beach Intl, which is obviously named for the city. But my most frequent destination for flight is Flagler County airport (X47) for lunch at Hijackers Cafe (no joke, and great food). Flagler airport is named for the county it resides in I am sure, but that in turn is named after Henry Flagler, the railroad magnate that pretty much single handedly opened up FL to tourism, created the FL East Coast railroad and developed south Fl into the towns we know them as now.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

lamedianaranja

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:43 am

CCS Maiquetía Simón Bolívar: The Maiquetia were an Indian tribe who used to live on this coast. Simón Bolívar was the guy who kicked out the Spaniards 200 years ago. Pity we didn't do the same in Viasa.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

dens

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:46 am

In Switzerland, all airport are named for the city it is located :

Geneva Cointrin airport is situaed in Cointrin
same for Berne Belp, Lugano-Agno.

ZRH unique airport is not situated in a city named Unique... I never understood why the name is "unique". Some years ago, the airport was named Zurich-Kloten.

solnabo

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:50 am

Arlanda is named after the area location. Hopefully they re-name it Alfred Nobel Airport  Big thumbs up

Micke/SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

robsawatsky

Well, YVR (Vancouver International Airport) is named after the namesake city of course, which is named after Capt. George Vancouver, the British explorer with the Dutch name.

Like many major airports, YVR is not actually located within the city limits of Vancouver, but in the City of Richmond just south of Vancouver across the north arm of the Fraser River on Sea Island.

Interestingly, George Vancouver is buried at St. Peter's Church in Richmond, England.

Capital146

No surprises that Leeds/Bradford (LBA) is located between the two neighbouring cities, about 5 miles from Bradford and about 7 miles from Leeds. The airport is also sometimes referred to as Yeadon, especially by locals, as this is the town it is actually located in.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

lamedianaranja

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:51 am

And AMS Schiphol: Ship's hole. Hole meaning a gap where ships disappear into. That whole area where the airport is nowadays used to be part of a dangerous sea suffering often from bad weather. So you might also say: ship's hell. And it hasn't changed much! Weather conditions at this airport are very often extremely bad.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

levent

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:52 am

- Alicante El Altet - the town next to the airport
- Barcelona El Prat - the town next to the airport
- San Sebastian Hondarribia - the town next to the airport
- Valencia Manises - the town next to the airport
(... not vey original up till now, is it?...)
- Malaga Pablo Ruiz Picasso - the artist we all know

- Brussels Zaventem - same story
- Istanbul Atatürk - named after the founder or modern Turkey
- Maastricht Aachen Airport, popularly known as Beek (yep, that´s right, the village next to it)
- Paris Charles de Gaulle - he was famous also
- Zurich Kloten - yes, the town...

and many, many more

mark8762

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:55 am

I am from San Diego, KSAN, the airport is named after Charles Lindbergh (Lindbergh Field) as the Spirit of St Louis was built there by Ryan Aviation.

7e72004

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:57 am

Indianapolis International Airport...named after....well....Indianapolis  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Vio
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:00 am

what are these airports named after?

London Heathrow
London Gatwick
Prague Ruzyne (forgive me if I spelled it wrong. I'm doing this off the top of my head)
Budapest Ferihegy (forgive me if I spelled it wrong. I'm doing this off the top of my head)
Rome Fumicino (forgive me if I spelled it wrong. I'm doing this off the top of my head)

Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

prosa

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:02 am

The nearest commerical airport to me is ISP, Long Island MacArthur Airport, named after Douglas MacArthur.
It is interesting that while MacArthur was one of America's greatest generals, ISP is one of the very few major public facilities or sites in the country to bear his name.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

prosa

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:03 am

Indianapolis International Airport...named after....well....Indianapolis

Wasn't it originally Weir Cook?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

FinnWings

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:04 am

Helsinki-Vantaa (HEL)... Vantaa is name of the city where the airport is located (some 19km from Helsinki downtown).

Best Regards,
FinnWings

CRWDude

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:10 am

CRW (Charleston, WV), formerly known as Kanawha Airport, was renamed Yeager Airport in October 1985 in honor of Brigadier General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager. Yeager is a native of West Virginia and is best known for being the first pilot to fly faster than the speed of sound.

DeltaWings

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 am

Dens: I think nowadays ZRH is just called Flughafen Zürich. They removed the Unique titles from the tower.

DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

7e72004

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 am

PROSA...if so i did not know that  Smile I have lived in Indy for only 3.5 years. It seems as if every major airport whether it is named after the city or not has had some type of name to it.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

FA4B6

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:16 am

HPN [Westchester County Airport, White Plains NY] is coded after the 3 towns that the boundries of the airport are actually in ... Harrison Purchase New Castle.

They say its in White Plains, NY because White Plains is the closest city and the county seat and very close to the airport.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

BAViscount

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:16 am

London Heathrow

From www.thisislongford.com:

"Heathrow Airport derives its name from a hamlet called Heath Row, which was obliterated during the construction of the airport. The hamlet of Heath Row was on the western part of Hounslow Heath and lay along a road that ran in a southerly direction from near the Magpies Inn on the bath Road at Sipson in the Parish of Harmondsworth."

Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

jasepl

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:17 am

Some has-been who had absolutely nothing to do with the city or with aviation. But the locals all call the airport terminals by the part of town they're in: Sahar for the international one and Santa Cruz for domestic.

PHLBOS

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:22 am

Some has-been who had absolutely nothing to do with the city or with aviation.

The full name for BOS is General Lawrence T. Logan International Airport. He wasn't involved in aviation at all.

http://www.massport.com/logan/about_histo.html
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

chrisjake

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:22 am

Cleveland Hopkins --> "The airport began operations in July of 1925 as the first municipal airport in the United States. The airport was officially named Cleveland Hopkins Airport after founder William Hopkins turned eighty-two in the early 1950's. Finally, in 1964, Hopkins received its current name of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, reflecting international aspirations and operations to Canada since 1946"

we still have international aspirations  Wink/being sarcastic

chris

Logan22L

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:28 am

BOS is named after General Edward Lawrence Logan, a man who apparently never flew, but was in the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia in November 1897, and retired as a Major General in March 1928. BOS was opened on June 13, 1923, as Boston Airport, and was re-named for Logan in June 1943.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Smith

[Edited 2004-11-23 22:31:30]
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

BAViscount

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:28 am

London Gatwick

From www.baa.com:

"The name Gatwick can be dated back to 1241, when Richard de Warwick assigned his rights to some land in the manor of Charlwood (four aces of meadow and 18 acres of land) to John de Gatwick and his heirs. The land was part of what was later known as the Manor of Gatwick and was owned by the de Gatwicks until the 14th century when it then passed to various different families"
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

N1120A

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:30 am

>Nottingham East Midlands Airport is named because it's in Nottingham...... despite being closer to Derby and having a Derby address<

Yep, it is in Darby, but isn't it closest to Leicester?  Nuts
I remember, they said on the Beeb that the reason they named it after Nottingham was because it is the name people would recognize, likely looking for the Sheriff  Big thumbs up.

Anyway, LAX is named Los Angeles International Airport, for the City of the Angels where it is.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is named after the famous jazz musician, while its code MSY stands for Moissant Stock Yards, which was what was on the site before the airport was built. Those Stock Yards were named for John Moissant, who was an aviation pioneer who crashed and died on the site during the dawn of aviation. Kind of the airport's guardian angel now.  Innocent
BOS is named Logan after General Edward Logan.
LGA is named after LaGuardia, who was the mayor of NY who built the airport
JFK is named after...JFK
EWR is named Liberty after CO making a post-9/11 marketing move
IAH is named after Bush the Former
HOU after William Hobby
Liverpool after John Lennon
LHR after the neighborhood the airport displaced
LTN is named after the town of Luton
SNA is named for John Wayne, the movie star
BUR was named Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena after the 3 cities that own the airport, but now is named for Bob Hope (should have been George Burns, who actually flew WN out of there to LAS all the time :-()
FLL is named Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, because it is actually in Hollywood, FL.
MCO is now just called Orlando International, but the code stands for McCoy Air Force Base, which was there before.
VCV is Southern California Logistics Airport, as they know their role as a logistic place to store aircraft and are trying to attract cargo traffic with their 15,000 foot runway (used to be SC International Airport and before that George AFB)

Why is LGW called Gatwick? Shouldn't it be London-Crawley, London-East Grinstead or even Brighton International Big grin?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jasepl

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:30 am

PHLBOS, Logan seems to have had at least something to do with Boston.

In Bombay's case, well, we've got the airport, the main railway station, the main park, a bunch of roads and one of Air India's aircraft named after the same man. And he never even came close to the city!

For the most part though, locals continue to refer to the original names.

Logan22L

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:33 am

Sorry, PHLBOS, I was putting together my post while you were posting yours. Jasepl, see my reply #25.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

n757kw

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:35 am

I will throw in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) named after 2 mayors of Atlanta:

William B. Hartsfield
Maynard Jackson

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

xaphan

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:38 am

I hail from from Louisville International Airport, USA which any idiot knows is coded SDF. SDF??? It translates as Standiford Field, the original name of the airport. Who or what was a Standiford?
Elisha David Standiford was a politically powerful landowner who had holdings to the south of what was then the city of Louisville. It is on his land that the airport now stands. What was once the "boonies" is now virtually downtown. Most daylight approaches take one over downtown and the Ohio River. Although Standiford lived in the early-mid 1800's, he was very active in transportation. He built (and charged tolls on) a major highway which is now US 60. He was one of the driving forces behind building the Portland canal which allowed steamboats to circumvent the Falls of the Ohio (more like a rapids), the reason for Louisville's existence. He was also one of the founding fathers of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, one of the South's major lines. Standiford was an MD and also a Congressman. Both the Democrat and Republican parties nominated him, but one term was enough.
Until it was recently rebuilt, SDF and LOU (Bowman Field--a general aviation airport, the original airport) both had a runway 19. The two airports are only 5 miles apart! Delta almost put an 880 into LOU once and UA tried to get a 727 in once, neither plane landed, but it caused quite a stir with the neighborhood grass cutters. SDF was built to accommodate Curtis' WW II plant building c 46's.
BTW, Louisville is named after Louis XVI (perhaps the only place on the planet Earth that is named after the disgraced/martyred French king) in gratitude for the very real help France gave the US during our Revolution.

Marambio

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:44 am

Buenos Aires - Aeroparque Jorge Newbery (AEP):
Named after Jorge Newbery, an Argentine aviator, who was the first person to cross the Andes on a balloon.

Buenos Aires - Ministro Pistarini (Ezeiza) (EZE):
It is located in the town of Ezeiza, some 35km west of Buenos Aires. Minister Pistarini was the one who decided to build the airport.

Rosario - Malvinas Argentinas (Fisherton) (ROS):
Located in the town of Fisherton, west of Rosario. Malvinas Argentinas...well-known story.

Jujuy - Horacio Guzmán (El Cadillal) (JUJ):
Governor Horacio Guzmán decided to create the airport. El Cadillal was the name of the estancia they expropriated to build it.

Salta - General Güemes (SLA):
General Martín Miguel de Güemes fought against the Spaniards in our Independence War, and he was from Salta.

Montevideo - Carrasco (MVD):
It is located in the town of Carrasco, just next to Montevideo.

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

dtwclipper

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:56 am

DTW-Detroit Metro. Wayne County Airport
McNammera Terminal, Wayne County Exec.

Berry Terminal?
Davey Terminal, Former Airport GM
Smith Terminal?

Any help with these?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dtwclipper

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:57 am

ORD-O'hare.

Orchard Field, named O"hare after military fighter pilot. WWII
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

legendDC9

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:58 am

TLV is Ben Gurion Airport, for David Ben Gurion, Israel's first PM.

DAL Love field is named for Lt. Moss Lee Love of the 11th cavelry division who died in Wright Flyer in 1913. He was the 10th Fatality in Army aviation history... Interesting.

JeffDCA

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:11 am

N1120a,
Looking at an aeronautical chart it's roughly 6 miles from Derby, 11 from Nottingham and 15 from Leicester.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

gigneil

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:12 am

Mine, like everything else, is named after Ronald Reagan.

N

B747-437B

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:13 am

In Bombay's case, well, we've got the airport, the main railway station, the main park, a bunch of roads and one of Air India's aircraft named after the same man.

I don't know about you, but I ALWAYS make it a point to call the airport by its full name - "Mumbai Chhattrapati Shivaji Maharaj Antarashtriya Hawai Adda".  Big grin

Shivaji Park has been Shivaji Park since time immemorial. VT-EPW has always been named Shivaji. However folks like you continue to live in the past and refer to "Bombay" and "VT" instead of "Mumbai" and "CST". Get with the times....
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Okie

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:19 am

OKC = Will Rogers World Airport

Will Rogers = Early Oklahoma Aviator
World = A step up on "international"
Airport = Another name for wildlife refuge

With all the convention centers, sports facilities around the US taking on corporate names/sponsorship, its just a matter or time before we start having airports the same.

Cingular Wireless Aerodrome, A T & T International Airport etc. just insert a corporate name.

Okie

MSP12R

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 am

Here in Minneapolis, we have MSP which is just Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. However, the airfield is named after local World War I aviator heroes Ernest Groves Wold and Cyrus Foss Chamberlain, the first two area pilots who gave their lives in combat during World War I. The main terminal is called the Lindbergh Terminal after, of course, Minnesota native Charles Lindbergh - the first non-stop, solo, trans-Atlantic flyer. The other terminal is called the Humphrey Terminal after Hubert H. Humphrey, former Mayor of Minneapolis, U.S. Senator from Minnesota and Vice President of the U.S.

-MSP12R
MSP - where the DC 9s and DC 10s make their last stand

access-air

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:25 am

My airport is:

KSQI Sterling/Rock Falls, Whiteside County Airport, Joseph H. Bittorf Field, Illinois...

Howz that?

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

LimaFoxTango

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:02 am

ANU i.e. VC Bird International Airport is named after Antigua & Barbuda's first Prime Minister.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

bogota

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:10 am

Bogota´s EL Dorado after the legend the conquistadors followed. The lake where the indian tribe whose chief bathed covered in gold is just outside the city. Plenty of the recovered treasures are in the Gold Museum in Bogota, but most of the gold is now covering the cielings of churches and palaces all over Europe.

ANCFlyer

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:22 am

ANC - Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. The "Anchorage" is self-explanatory. Ted Stevens is the Senior United States Senator for Alaska, and President Pro-Tempore of the United States Senate . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

navairjax

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:27 am

What about PVD, can anyone tell me who Theodore Francis Green is?

aerorobnz

Airport Names

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:34 am

I don't know if it is still called Jean Batten Intl. But the Int. Terminal at AKL used to be named that - think AIAL renamed it now...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:00 am

JFK (Speaks for itself)

LGA (Named for NY Mayor Fiorello La Guardia)

ISP (MacArthur, speaks for itself)
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

minmiester

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:07 am

MEL is named after the suburb it is situated in (Tullamarine). This was required as a distinction from the old international airport at Essendon.
SYD is named after Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, the first person to make a trans-pacific crossing in an aircrfaft and one of Australia's greatest aviators.
All of Australia's other international airports are simply named after the city they serve (Brisbane International, Perth International etc. etc.).

Cheers

MinMiester

whitehatter

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:28 am

MAN was named after Ringway Farm, the area that the original airport was constructed on. Other British airports broadly follow similar formats, such as Glasgow Abbotsinch, Birmingham Elmdon, Leeds Bradford Yeadon etc.

There was talk of renaming MAN a while back but it dodn't seem to go anywhere. When LPL became Liverpool John Lennon, MAN was discussed for renaming to Manchester Lowry.

Manchester Laurence S Lowry International has a nice ring to it...
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...