ASTROJET707
Topic Author

J-Class Seat Style Preference

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:35 am

With most airlines are transitioning to a pod-style, lie-flat seats I am wondering what your seat preferences are. I just completed a SFO-CDG-SFO on AF0083/0084 and LOVED the old fashioned, WIDE business seat. The seat cushion and back were both very comfortable as was the leg-support with kick plate. While another 6" of pitch would have been nice, comfort level was very high.

I have flown BA-F and QF-F, while it was a great experience, I felt the AF-J seat was more comfortable. I prefer a wider seat dimension at about 150-160 degrees.n It is hard to toss and turn in the "pod".

Will the next generation seating return to the wider, almost-lie flat? I would enjoy reading your experiences and preferences.

Regards,

AAJ707

ozglobal

RE: J-Class Seat Style Preference

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:48 am

AAJ707

I think you'll find the new QF J SkyBed perfect based on your stated preferences. It's wider than the current QF F bed, softer and just as long, and close enough to horizontal for someone like myself who usually much prefers a truly horizontal bed. I sleep well on BA / QF F and BA Club World, but if you're really keen on a softer, wider seat, go for the Skybed (it even has a massage setting which is by no means a gimmick).

Overall, my best experiences for long haul overnight where the priority is sleep are: QF F and new J, BA F and Club World, CX F (but not J) and, sorry, but not the old AF J (can't seem to sleep sitting up, even at a good recline).
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

kaddyuk

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:55 am

I love the VS J class cabin. The new BFB is nothing short of amazing. The size of the seat is great... It does feel strange to not be facing forwards but you get used to it very quickly. The advantage it has over everything else is the flip bed. The foam used to sleep on is different to that used to sit on, it offers better support while sleeping so that you dont get any "dead" limbs or numb areas where you may lay on a part of your body for any extended period of time... (which I have found on a number of different seats).

Coupled with the bar and IFBT... All adds up for a great flight Big grin
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

andz

Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:10 am

I arrived back from FRA in JNB this morning on SAA 346 business class with the new lie flat seat...the pitch is very good, each window seat has 3 windows and the total lie flat is very comfortable with 3 pre-set positions and a massage button, adjustable backrest, seat height, lumbar and footrest.

Apart from that, the attentive cabin crew and great food, comprehensive AVOD and general pampering are going to make flying Y class again very difficult.....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

AEROFAN

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:50 am

QF cocoon seat is good. But it is not a flat bed. And doesn't come close to VS'

VS seat is still the best out there. Why do you think NZ has purchased the rights to install same seat on their fleet?

BA380

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:20 pm

Lie Flat, semi-private seats are absolutely the best. I can't sleep in a chair...

BA First is to die for. Brilliant seat.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

fbgdavidson

Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:44 pm

I'm the same as BA380. I find BA CW if you can get a window seat which is much more private is ideal, to be honest the openness you get in the aisle seats isn't very conducive to sleeping.

BA F though I am willing to trade in the slightly increased privacy of the window CW seat for the comfort and size of the bed, as well as the better divet, pillows etc etc
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey