What is it like?
any good/bad experiences in it?
what "features" does it have?
What are the seats like?
any pix?

legendDC9

RE: UAL Domestic First

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:42 pm

There are two categories right now. The new PS service that UA has started between JFK to LAX and SFO it is a cut above their basic domestic first class. I flew on the LAX JFK earlier this month and it was pretty comperable to intl. business, very nice. other domestic F/C's are pretty standard across the board.

UALFAson

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:18 pm

You really need to be more specific in terms of aircraft type, etc. You will have a vastly different experience in a 735 versus a 777, even domestically.

Generally speaking, you will receive a meal service as well as predeparture beverages in real glassware.

IFE can range from audio only on a 737 to drop down screens on the Airbuses to personal TVs on 763s and 777s.

All/most(?) United First seats have been replaced with newer, cloth-covered versions that I think are more comfortable.

If you have a question about a specific flight or airplane, we can give you more specific details.

--Rob
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

roseflyer

Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:59 pm

It is a competitive product with the rest of the airlines in the country. Seat pitch is on par with others in the 36-38 range, and the seats are generally comfortable. It changes widely depepnding on which plane you are on as far as IFE and service go. The entire domestic fleet has the same seats with the exception of the 767s which have narrower seats due to cabin width. I always have had good experiences on it, but would never actually pay for it. The product is not worth the astronomical prices that they charge for it. Most passengers are upgrades, and that is how I usually fly as well.

The meal service is good for flights over 2 hours. They give an option of hot meals for lunch and dinner. Lunch is usually a salad or warm sandwich option, while dinner is a choice between chicken and another warmed entree. Usually they are pretty good for what you will expect in the sky. The flight attendants try their best to give a good service, and the meals are usually served well, but not in multiple courses with menus like in the past.

For some more detailed experiences check out the trip reports. Here is a recent one I wrote:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/52047/
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

ERJ145LR

Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:52 am

im flying on a flight from dca-ord on a 757

UALFAson

Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:28 pm

UA First on 757s features 24 seats and 2 flight attendants.

IFE is audio programming along with TV monitors hanging from the ceiling down the aisle. Video will be an NBC sitcom, NBC News, and various other short-subject programming.

Depending on time of day, will most likely be some sort of hot meal service offered.

Boarding takes place through door at front of Y cabin. I loved the ads in the London tube advertising low C-class fares so you could "discover what it feels like to turn left when you board a plane."

Don't forget the DCA rule: no getting up to go potty for 30 minutes after take-off or you will get a one-way trip to Dulles.

Bon voyage and enjoy!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."