SLC1
Topic Author

Wing Style

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:22 am

I saw a thread for high wing vs. low wing on general aviation but wondered what everyone thought for regional jets and props. Personally I dislike the 328 / 328jet high wing and Avro for looks, I generally like the low wing, except from the Dash.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

AZjetgeek

RE: Wing Style

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:52 am

I happen to like the high-wing design of the 328 and 328Jet. However, I don't care for the Avro RJ series. Four jet engines on a high wing makes the aircraft appear top heavy. I also happen to like the Dash 8. My least favorite high wing, however, is an "oldie", the Fairchild-Hiller FH-227. Noisiest dang aircraft I've ever flown on.

The low-wing style has been made more popular in recent years with the addition of the blended winglets. The 73G and 738 have the best winglets. The Bombardier BD-700 also has great winglets, as does most of the CRJ's.
Long live the RJ!

SLC1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:47 pm

AZ jet geek.

I guess I don't mind the ATR high wing either - just not as big a fan of the ATR as the Dash. I think that high wings that slope aren't attractive to me. The Avro especially with 4 engines it reminds me of a flying tank or at least hummer of the sky.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

ZKSUJ

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:53 pm

The ATR is the opnly prop and high wing I have been in. I must say that it is a very comfortable airctaft.