Pe@rson
Topic Author

Should People Pay To Use Toilets In-flight?

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:41 pm

After consuming copious amounts of alcoholic beverages last night, and consequently frequently visiting the lavatory, I pondered the idea of making people pay to use the toilets on flights with low-cost airlines. Now, in the UK you sometimes have to pay a price (like 20p) to use the toilets in train stations and in some town centres, so why not in-flight? It would reduce the cost of purchasing toilet things, like toilet paper, soap and water, while being another form of revenue (I am not sure whether it would reduce the cleaning costs, as I am unsure about how often they are cleaned, like daily, twice-daily, or whatever). As there would be no viable alternative while in-flight, except peeing in your pants, on the floor or over your next-door neighbour, you could even charge, say, 1 GBP for the ‘privilege’ of going to the toilet (the joys of a monopolistic situation). What does everything think? Actually, I KNOW WHAT EVERYONE WILL THINK, so let the debate start.  Wink/being sarcastic
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

soups

RE: Should People Pay To Use Toilets In-flight?

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:43 pm

in Holland you have to pay fr toilets in the clubs too
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

gkirk

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:44 pm

No chance. Paying to use toilets onboard is only an idea Ryanair could come up with  Big grin

Ryanair - Fly from an airport in the middle of nowhere - Pay for a piss/dump  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ANCFlyer

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:50 pm

You gotta be kidding . . . right, this is a joke right? Humor? British Humor? Right???  Big thumbs up
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:51 pm

'In Holland you have to pay fr toilets in the clubs too.'

Ahhh!!!! So in some UK train stations, town centres and shopping centres, plus in some clubs in the Netherlands. So it would seem that the culture of paying to go to the toilet is becoming increasingly common...
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Leskova

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:51 pm

I don't think it's a good idea - how often does it happen to you that you've not got the precise change for something, and if the toilet only "accepts" (for lack of a better word) specific coins, that could cause some serious problems... at least for those without the correct change...  Big grin

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

soups

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:52 pm

FR will prefer to have a paying passenger occupying a seat instaed of someone waiting to collect money. or if they use the coin operated thing, people wont bother to get to the loo as they can hold it till they land at the airfield

SXFAN

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:52 pm

Only a Briton could think of that. Big grin
It is irritating to see pay&pee toilets in London and in England generaly and I am opposed against such a thing happening in every part of the world. Angry
Please mean British people do not contaminate the rest of the world with such ideas!!!!
And Soups in English clubs you will have to pay as well.
Cheers!!!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:55 pm

'FR will prefer to have a paying passenger occupying a seat instaed of someone waiting to collect money. or if they use the coin operated thing, people wont bother to get to the loo as they can hold it till they land at the airfield.'

Yep, then you'd need to purchase even less items for the toilets and if no-one ever used them you'd have to clean them even less often...

soups

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:56 pm

i paid to go to loos in France, Turkey, Holland, USA and many more. i never paid in clubs in uk (i am in UK by the way).

acidradio
Crew

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:57 pm

When I worked at XJ, I heard a story about a woman who was so disgusted by a dirty lav, that she decided to urinate on the seat. Yes, that is gross and absurd. Start charging for that "luxury", especially on a low-cost, and watch the sickening creativity that might ensue!  Nuts
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

buckfifty

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:58 pm

Probably not a good idea on the plane. I'd probably would have pissed myself by the time I found the correct change in the correct currency to take that piss.

Unless if an airline is willing to have their flight attendents patrol the loo areas to collect and change money, plus to deter ones who haven't paid, it's a silly issue.

But as said above, MOL may just do it. I wonder how much money he'd make off it, though.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:59 pm

'I paid to go to loos in France, Turkey, Holland, USA and many more. i never paid in clubs in uk (i am in UK by the way).'

I have also never paid to use toilets in the UK clubs.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:00 pm

'I'd probably would have pissed myself by the time I found the correct change in the correct currency to take that piss.'

Then you'd face a 35 GBP/45 EUR clean-up charge.  Wink/being sarcastic

'I wonder how much money he'd make off it, though.'

Not necessarily just how much he would earn, but also SAVE.

Lufthansa

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:01 pm

Have you guys ever considered the not so pleasent issue of Airsickness?

Do you really want somebody throwing up all over the place because they didn't have any change? Not a good idea.

ei2ksea

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:03 pm

Lets hope that Michael o'Leary isnt looking at this thread, you're putting bad ideas in his head Pe@rson!!

Anyhow maybe people would pay for a slightly bigger loo with some of that fancy shmancy quilted velvet loo roll? Tap that consumer surplus!!
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:03 pm

Yep, LH! They'd be a 35 GBP/45 EUR clean-up charge.  Wink/being sarcastic

SXFAN

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:04 pm

If you haven't payed for using the toilets of a club in U.K. then you are mean indeed since in almost every club there is a guy that is taking care of the toilet (gives you paper, soap & perfumes)
Now you probably understand what I mean ya?

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:04 pm

'Lets hope that Michael o'Leary isnt looking at this thread, you're putting bad ideas in his head Pe@rson!!'

I'm his evil son anyway.

Innovation all the way!!!!!!!!!!  Wink/being sarcastic

mrniji

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:34 pm

After consuming copious amounts of alcoholic beverages last night, and consequently frequently visiting the lavatory, I pondered the idea of making people pay to use the toilets on flights with low-cost airlines.

Only you can be that strange.. you know, I thought of deporting you here to SIN and putting you ina prison for people getting drunk too often... that might help you in getting rid of your addiction and starting with potential business modells...

Don't you know the situation you have to p-- or s--t and do not have the coin?? How desparate it can be??? But as I know you, you might suggest MOL to introduce credit-card payment with a 20 % surcharge...
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

747NUT

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:37 pm

I'm sure people will be finding new uses for airsick bags  Nuts
If it's not broken, don't fix it !

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:40 pm

LOL 747NUT.  Wink/being sarcastic

Mr N - just a 20% surcharge???  Sad :-P

FFlyer

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:01 pm

"paid to go to loos in France, Turkey, Holland, USA and many more."

If the US is good in something, that's the availability of public toilets. Grocery stores, gas stations, any public buildings have FREE toilets! You can't find those coin-operated ones anywhere here. Mostly they are cleaner than in Europe, too. It is not only a necessity, it's also a way to get customers for your business. And still, you never have to feel quilty for not buying anything when using the facilities eg. a gas station, a supermarket or even a restaurant or bar.

One of the greatest American inventions after the telephone; a public restroom without the main entrance/exit door! You know the type where you enter the facility using a kind of S-shaped opening which blocks the direct view. This is especially handy at airports, when you have your carry-on to take care off, and any doors are a pain.

Public Toilets Around the World. Maybe I should write a book about those. The most disgusting ones I have experienced have been in Iran, China, and France.

Pay for toilets in airplanes???!!!! You must be out of your mind!

ltbewr

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Me thinks Pe@rson spends WAY too much time drinking and on A-net  Big grin I find it strange that one doesn't normally tip bartenders in the Europe, but you have to or are 'highly recommended' to give a small tip to use the toilet. While there are some isolated situations where one has to or can tip to pay for the toilet in USA, often it is illegal by state laws, especially where public access. I am aware of the policies in many parts of Europe where a fee or 'tip' is policy and that pays for full time attendents to maintain the facility and to limit vandalism. In the USA, all places that serve food must offer access to their customers. They can restrict access to non-customers (espcecially in NY City). They also must offer for free facilities accessable to the handicapped were possible. This would also be illegal to do on an aircraft in the USA. Unfortuntally the limits on being able to pay for toilets limits the needed access to the general public in many places, especially in NYC. In NYC there has been a number of proposals to set up public toilets facilities on the sidewalks where one has to pay much like most of Europe. But fears of the facilities being used by prostitutes, the homeless, being vandilized, the need of all facilities to have handicapped access and just the idea of a toilet stand in the middle of the street just doesn't go over well in our still very puriticanal/victorian views as to body functions.

747NUT

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:02 pm

next they will be putting anti-hijack doors on lavs !?  Sad

bananaboy

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:07 pm

If I was paying for the use of the toilets, then I would like a pro-rata refund on my seat, as I wont be using it for a small percentage of the flight.  Wink/being sarcastic

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:18 pm

In the UK, it would seem that it is becoming increasingly common, if not increasingly liked, that you pay to use toilets, especially in some train stations, town centres and shopping arcades. It would, from some replies here, seem that pay-to-use toilets are becoming more common on the continent, too, and even in places like nightclubs. In America, however, it is probably the opposite: there are probably more free toilets. So it is more likely, I think, that pay-to-use toilets would work more effectively within Europe than it would in the USA. The reason that there is such negativity is because it is a unique idea. I can but imagine what people first thought when some airlines stopped serving ‘free’ (or, correctly, ‘pay-for-it-through-your-ticket’) food and drink.

flyibaby

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:27 pm

Bad idea for a plane..but I will say that the restrooms in Belgium and in Czech Republic have great features..even the toliets are their own little room so there is no embarrasement or need for a crossword puzzle the day you travel in case you had too much beer or local food the night before  Big grin

bananaboy

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:28 pm

I don't think that this could ever work.

You have a choice... buy a coffee on board, or buy one before you board.

If you need a slash at 35,000ft, the only choice is to either use the lavs, or pi*s yourself. You have a choice on the ground, but on the aircraft? And what happens if you run out of change? You can hardly pop round to the cash machine, buy a pack of polos at the newsagent etc etc.

Bad idea.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

747NUT

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:30 pm

I can but imagine what people first thought when some airlines stopped serving ‘free’ (or, correctly, ‘pay-for-it-through-your-ticket’ ) food and drink.
I could understand paying for food on a low cost airline, as that is more down to choice to eat before or during the flight.
I, and it seems a lot of the other replies would agree, that paying for basic hygienic services during a flight is going a little bit far !

Lufthansa

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:34 pm

Actually somebody may be able to challenge this as some kind of illegal imprisonment....beling locked in a confined place that u cannot leave on demand and having no access to facilities...... or at least in breach of some human rights charter.

Regardles.... i would refuse to use a company that had that policy.
They'd have to offer me a pretty bloody good deal to ever get me to agree to that.

airsicknessbag

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:34 pm

In Germany there are laws saying when you run a business and sell food and/or drinks to people AND offer them seating, you must offer a toilet free of charge. There are some very interesting rulings and comments on those rulings in legal literature. They´re fun to read because there are lots of interesting wordings to describe certain, well, bodily functions. (If any fellow Germans happen to read this, ever heard of "Spontanentleerung" or "Stuhlverhaltung"  Laugh out loud ?)

Let me share a story: I was on a local train, returning on a Saturday night from a winefest. The train was packed with shitfaced people, the single loo was out of order. So this guy takes out his near empty Coke bottle (1.5 litres, plastic), burns a hole in it with his lighter and pees into the bottle through this hole.

Do you want to see scenes like that on planes too?  Wink/being sarcastic

Daniel Smile

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:37 pm

Hmm. Pay a quid to use the toilet or pee/shite yourself and pay a 35 GBP clean-up fee. Onto a winner...  Wink/being sarcastic

About about these nightclubs - if you didn't have the change, you'd have to pee yourself. So there are hygene problems there, too.

"You gotta be kidding . . . right, this is a joke right? Humor? British Humor? Right???"

Me? Never!  Wink/being sarcastic

planesarecool

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:47 pm

It would probably lose them money, in the long run. People will try to not need the loo, therefore they wouldn't buy food and drink onboard, therefore losing them money.

The cleaning charges wouldn't change. Your saying that if you had to pay to use the toilet, that they wouldn't clean it?

-Stephen

Lufthansa

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:52 pm

What about turning away customers?

I am there are some, such as myself that would just be insulted and therefore not pick that business if there was a similiar offering elsewhere.

If ryanair did it, don't you think easyjet would end up winning?

Leskova

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:55 pm

Airsicknessbag,  Big thumbs up

I'm glad I have neighbors that don't mind if I make a bit of noise, because I had to laugh so hard when I read "Spontanentleerung" that they could very well have complained... now if I could only get over the coughing-fit that's followed the laughing... Big grin

"Spontanentleerung", "Stuhlverhaltung"... ah... don't you just love the "Rechtsdeutsch" or "Beamtendeutsch"? There are so many hillarious words hidden in those two sub-languages...

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:58 pm

"You gotta be kidding . . . right, this is a joke right? Humor? British Humor? Right???"

Me? Never!  Wink/being sarcastic

pilotpip

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:00 am

At what point does low cost go too far? I think you'd have a bigger problem with people loosing bodily function as mentioned. Then, you have 120 people sitting in a small tube that smells like feces. Yeah, that's a great way to attract business.  Smile

Pay for food? Sure, you do it everywhere and it's not something that's needed. But, get people on a plane for a couple hours and you need the lavs. I like cheap fares as much as the next guy but how nice is a low fare if you're going to be nickled and dimed and have an uncomfortable ride?
DMI

lnglive1011yyz

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:05 am

Simple -- It's a fundamental human right. I'm sure there'd be laws against it.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Runway31

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:14 am

Having read this thread I think a lot of people must have little handles sticking out their backs like a clockwork toy as they they have got wound up by a wind up merchant.

TW741

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:14 am

how often does it happen to you that you've not got the precise change for something, and if the toilet only "accepts" (for lack of a better word) specific coins, that could cause some serious problems... at least for those without the correct change...

Why so complicated? Purchase some vouchers/coupons for the lav use in advance when you book the flight - STN-CIA-return plus 5 Lav-coupons (for Pe@rson 10 Coupons...) - on checkin you exchange the coupons against small magnetic-stripe cards - so no need to worry about exchange missing ... and for those arguing with airsickness - hmmm - if someone gets airsick then it is his own fault and should be charged for that too ....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
(all ideas are copyright by me - MOL can use it by paying me a percentage share of the lav-coupon-income...)
TWA - we showed you how good we have been!

Lufthansa

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:26 am

You know

i bet ryanair all ready floated this idea but their lawyers said no.

alcregular

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:29 am

I know us Brits have the saying 'spend a penny' but that is just taking the piss!
Why drive when you can fly?

Thrust

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:42 am

Uh...no? Why on Earth make a person pay to use a lav if it is on a flight like EWR-HKG, they are only at the beginning of the flight, the person has to go really badly, and they don't have the money to do it? That's being really inconsiderate of the rest of the passengers...for god's sakes let the person do their business in the bathroom to avoid the chance of them doing it anywhere else in the plane. Hold it in for what, 22 hours? That is brutal torture  Laugh out loud That is just cruel to make a person pay to go to the bathroom.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

Leskova

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:48 am

Hold it in for what, 22 hours? That is brutal torture That is just cruel to make a person pay to go to the bathroom.

... then again, during the later stages of a longhaul flight, it sometimes is brutal torture to even have to use a lavatory for 22 seconds...  Big grin

Considering the mess some people make in there... in some cases it might be a good idea to have someone on board check the lavatory after a passenger leaves - and, if necessary, send them back in to clean up. Although, I'm sure that "lavatory duty" wouldn't really be a thrilling job for F/As...

Nonetheless, I think it's become somewhat obvious - at least here - that this idea doesn't really have much of a chance... thank goodness for that... Big grin

Regards,
Frank

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:54 am

Well, this has been one of the most entertaining threads for a long while - not least because virtually everyone thought the poster of this thread (oh, it was me) was being deadly serious.  Wink/being sarcastic

I foresee another similar thread next Sunday.

pilotpip

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:13 am

Pe@rson,

Please don't drink and post!  Nuts

In all honesty though, it's a slow day at the FBO. This has been one of the most entertaining threads in a while. Thanks for making the day go by a little faster and helping us see that this is a subject that is met with passion!
DMI

fbgdavidson

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:04 am

Oh god. One more reason to avoid low cost carriers. Pay to check-in-luggage, pay for toilet...what next: charge for each step used to get onboard aircraft???

If some LCC wants to implement it fine, but it'd make more sense to add a nominal fee say £1 onto the ticket price, then everyone pays it even if they don't use the toilet. Although in the case of Ryanair this would cause a 100% increase in ticket prices! If you charge people to use the toilet you'd probably end up with cheapskates peeing in bottles in their seat...humans can be disgusting animals
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Springbok747

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:10 am

No way, toilets should be free, I can't imagine paying money to take a piss! LOL!!

But, here in Adelaide, there are free public toilets everywhere, except in the city center, those toilets are so advanced, we can pay for them using a credit card!!! Hahaha Big grin

אני תומך בישראל

L410Turbolet

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:25 am

Pe@rson, you seriously think this bizzare idea of yours is "innovation"? Hey, why not get rid of the toilets completely and sell the pax empty PET bottles to pee into?

What would be next? Rent-an-oxygen-bottle? I mean buying 737s without pressurized cabins would save O'Leary even more money...

If for anything the US should be set as an example to follow, then abundance of free toilets would definitely be it.